Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2007, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 13,055 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a job in Tomah and I am considering places to live. Tomah may be too small for my taste at this point in my life and I have been considering LaCrosse as an alternative. I lived in Appleton 4 years ago and liked it there. I figured LaCrosse may be similar. I have visited various links found through Google etc. and now I am looking for some personal accounts of the area. Obviously, it is scenic there.

Is commuting from LaCrosse to Tomah reasonable?

What is the atmosphere like in the town?

Are there things that should keep a person from moving there?

How are the schools?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 04:43 AM

54 posts, read 311,195 times
Many people commute to Tomah from LaCrosse, Its interstate and its fast. The town is what I consider very safe & friendly. I think the schools are excellent. The only reason not to move to Tomah is that it is less than 10,000 people. (but some people like that)

Old 01-20-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks Birdie. I appreciate the information. Certainly no offense intended to those who enjoy the small town atmosphere of Tomah. Actually, I grew up in a small town less the half the size of Tomah and it was a good place to grow up. But now I've lived in a metropolitan area of a couple million people, so it is hard to readjust to a small town. Like I mentioned, I liked Appleton and felt it was a good sized city.

Do you know much about LaCrosse?

Old 01-24-2007, 01:26 PM

49 posts, read 128,233 times
Many people make the drive to hang out on weekends and to work. Tomah is about 45 min. from La Crosse. Appleton is very similar to LaCrosse in alot of aspects.La Crosse can be a party college town, but also it's a family town at the same time. Negatives are that the job market and pay sucks and taxes are high. Can be drunks and losers hanging out downtown area. However violent crime is very low in comparison to other areas with similar population.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:31 AM

Default Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcrystal View Post
Many people make the drive to hang out on weekends and to work. Tomah is about 45 min. from La Crosse. Appleton is very similar to LaCrosse in alot of aspects.La Crosse can be a party college town, but also it's a family town at the same time. Negatives are that the job market and pay sucks and taxes are high. Can be drunks and losers hanging out downtown area. However violent crime is very low in comparison to other areas with similar population.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for the information. It is nice to have the first hand info to go with what I could gather online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin