U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:11 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,189,718 times

Advertisements

wigirl920,
You should check out some state parks in your area. I see your from Calumet county so you can't be to far from Point Beach State Park. Maybe get us some pictures of the area for the Wisconsin Picture Thread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:21 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,237,624 times
Actually, High Cliff State Park is much closer. Plan to go there sometime in August...I'll be sure to take my camera along!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
Actually, High Cliff State Park is much closer. Plan to go there sometime in August...I'll be sure to take my camera along!
Sounds good! I can't wait to see the pictures.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,296,549 times
When I lived in Appleton, I went to High Cliff all the time. My favorite time to go hiking was in the autumn, when there weren't many people around (I was bartending at the time, so I also went during the weekdays--sometimes I had the place to myself). I always hiked along an old field...and even though it seemed like there weren't that many trails, I always seemed to find myself in a different spot than I had been in before. I have good, quiet memories of High Cliff.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:19 PM

323 posts, read 1,871,064 times
Some work around the house this weekend - some painting and stuff as we get toward the end of a minor remodel.

In my spare time go out for a couple of bike rides - 20 or 30 miles as I try to work my mileage back up after being off the bike for a couple of years. If my wife's up for it we'll take the tandem out for a shortish ride to the marsh - call it 16 miles for the loop I've been using.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 PM

What kind of bike do you have escapetacoma?

I do some riding myself, I have a Schwinn 14 speed road bike, I love it. I do about 15 miles when I do ride. Portage doesn't have much riding opportunities within the city itself.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
What kind of bike do you have escapetacoma?
My half bike is a Mariposa Randonneur:

Our tandem is a Bushnell. You can see pictures of it here:
Bushnell Road Tandem with a Rohloff Hub

Quote:
I do some riding myself, I have a Schwinn 14 speed road bike, I love it. I do about 15 miles when I do ride. Portage doesn't have much riding opportunities within the city itself.
I can't say that I've found much riding in Waupun either Fortunately the Horicon Marsh and Wild Goose Trail are just to the east of us. Actually I'm not all that fond of the trail - crushed stone surfaces are awfully noisy - but it provides a useful connection so we don't need to ride on Hwy 49 (though the couple of times we've done so it wasn't too bad.)

I'm hoping to work out a nice loop around the marsh but I don't expect to be up for riding that until next year.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:32 PM

12,750 posts, read 12,518,947 times
Awesome bike! I ride, too but not seriously like you guys. I do ride up to Point Beach but not lately because of the skeeter situation.

UP was great, but they've had alot of rain, too! In fact, a storm while I was there took down some trees, one between my sisters and her neighbor, fortunately did not hit the houses. Alot of standing water around, and lakes/rivers seem high. She is between Gladstone and Manistique so I don't know how the west side is doing. I like to go visit but did not even consider it when I was thinking about moving last year!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Awesome bike! I ride, too but not seriously like you guys. I do ride up to Point Beach but not lately because of the skeeter situation.
That's one of the things that I've particularly enjoyed about riding around here - I'm going fast enough (not very fast at all, but fast enough) that the mosquitoes aren't an issue. There were several days that I got nailed just dashing to/from the garage, though

Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 PM

At least you have fun Susan.

Escapetacoma, that looks like a comfy bike. I can't ride off road on gravel trails because I have road tires with scott bars. I've had the bike up to a whopping 41.7 Mph on a straight stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin