Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:41 AM

12 posts, read 20,715 times

Advertisements

Any advice would be helpful.
My husband and I and the children might be relocationg to the Milwaukee area. My husband might be working in the Oak Creen area. We would like to find some country living, low property taxes, good schools, 15 minutes away from Oak Creek, near a hockey rink-my son plays hockey. I am a RN so I would need to be no more than 30 minutes away from a hospital or surgery center. We would like a small town feel with where families are raising their young children. In the spring, our children play soccer so would like to have youth soccer in the area that we choose. Any input would be greatly appreciated. We live on a cul de sac now and we don't wanna live on a cul de sac in the area we choose. Right now, we have a neighbor that has no children and not married who calls the police on us for playing baseball catch in the middle of the cul de sac. We want to have some land in the house that we choose. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 PM

4 posts, read 8,127 times
Are you considering any areas north of Milwaukee such as Appleton? Where I live, we are 5 min from everything, a hockey rink, several baseball parks and pop warner (if your son plays football). We live across from a park and walking trails that helps with the athletic activities. The north side of Appleton also has the best schools, E, M and H. I love this area but we are 1.5 hrs from Milwaukee.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:46 AM

711 posts, read 1,689,577 times
It sounds like you would like to live in a relatively rural/slightly suburban area. I would look into areas of Oak Creek and Franklin. There are some areas that are mostly subdivisions, but other areas that still have working farms. You should be able to find a new or older house that has a little land without any problems.

This area has many hospitals within a half hour commute, along with the regular big box shopping and Milwaukee County Sports Complex nearby. Also, the Petit National Ice Center is only about 20 minutes away.

If you are looking for a little more rural feel, you might want to check out northern Racine Co, but I'm not too familiar with that area.

Good Luck and welcome to the Milwaukee area!

Old 02-01-2010, 04:48 PM

100 posts, read 344,126 times
Appleton is great. It gives you every big town convinence with a small town feel. I'd choose appleton

Old 02-03-2010, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,049 times
Appleton is way to far from Oak Creek. You're going to want to look for something in the Lake Country area (Oconomowoc, Hartland, Delafield, Pewaukee) There's tons of land, it feels country but there are so many lakes around it makes the quality of living awesome. Hartland Arrowhead hockey team is one of the best in WI.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:34 AM

42 posts, read 86,416 times
You will find all of what you need almost any place around Milw, EXCEPT for LOW taxes. You will be SHOCKED at the VERY HIGH property taxes along with all the other taxes.Example......we have a home at 174,000 our prop taxes are 4900!!!!!If your pocket book can handle it great, wisconsin is a very nice state. Greenfield, Greendale, Franklin, and the other areas just south of Milw are nice and safe.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:52 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nived1964 View Post
You will find all of what you need almost any place around Milw, EXCEPT for LOW taxes.
Ozaukee County is the cheapest county in the state in terms of property taxes.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:46 AM

12 posts, read 20,715 times
Thank you very much for your responses.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:49 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
I agree- Appleton would be a great choice. It's a great town to raise kids in, and you have big city amenities yet there is still a strong sense of community throughout Appleton.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:51 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Appleton is another one on my "want-to-see" list. As much as I love Wisconsin, I've only seen a fraction of it. Hence my username. That is where most of my family is. Northwest WI and Eastern Minnesota. That section is almost like a state all it's own I traveled around. lol
I love Minnesota too. There was an article in my newspaper here in Montana about how badly the southwest portion of the Twin Cities has been hit with snow this year though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin