Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:32 PM

620 posts, read 1,838,671 times

Advertisements

shannonM; Hi - getting off the subject here BUT did you feel the earthquake today?? I was thinking of all you Californians!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 09:45 PM

656 posts, read 1,309,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
shannonM; Hi - getting off the subject here BUT did you feel the earthquake today?? I was thinking of all you Californians!!
oh yeah! i was at work it was really quite strong. but it didn't last long thank god. how are you doing? hope all is well with you.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:43 AM

620 posts, read 1,838,671 times
Hi Shannon: Glad everybody was okay. E-mailed my brother and he said he had a plumber working under his house at the time and needless to say, it scared the heck out of him! Were you living in CA at the time of the '94 Northridge earthquake? Nothing much going on here weather-wise, just humid - have a good one!!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:12 PM

656 posts, read 1,309,608 times
yeah we were here. it wasn't bad for us though. that's funny about your brothers plumber it's hot and dry here. we have to run the air all day. i can't wait for it to cool down a bit. heave a good rest of your day. talk to you soon.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,928 times
I think Green Bay is much nicer than Appleton. Like Green Bay, Appleton has a rather low unemployment rate (both economies are healthy). Aside from the mall near Appleton and College Avenue, Appleton has a fraction of what Green Bay has to offer.

Green Bay is a nice city by itself, but the surrounding communities (Suamico, Howard, DePere, Scott, Ashwaubenon, Allouez) make it even nicer. The Green Bay metropolitan area restaurant selection is great. I don't understand why anyone would think Appleton has a better selection? The Appleton area has a fraction of the population that Green Bay has...it also has a fraction of the library's, restaurants, churches, nightlife, employers, schools, and everything else.

You mentioned your daughters that are moving back with you. The Green Bay area has a larger selection of colleges to choose from...UWGB, NWTC, St. Norbert, Bellin College of Nursing, Bellin Hospital of Radiological Technology. UWGB is a great college that has a rural setting (many of the buildings are actually connected by tunnels underground).

The Resch Center brings in awesome concerts - big name concerts! Appleton has nothing like it.

The Brown County arena and Shopko Hall also offer weekend entertainment. Appleton has nothing comparable.

The KI convention center is also nice for tradeshows, weddings, and etc. It is a beautiful building - again, Appleton has nothing like it.

I am not a big football fan, but I will mention the Packers. Being a fan is not mandatory. I have lived here for many years and do not find the Packers fans annoying. Yes, there are some fanatics, but they are harmless. I am sure that when Appleton gets its won NFL team that they will have fanatics as well (you'll note that there are Packers fanatics all over the world).

As far as the smell mentioned by yo-vanilla, I don't have a clue what he/she is referring to. I have been all over the metro area and have only experienced an odor by the sewage plant - but then again, most real cities need a sewage plant don't they?

Yo-vanilla mentioned the dangerous bar scene around Green Bay. I watch the news every night and can't say that I can draw the conclusion that Green Bay has a threatening night life. Perhaps the perception comes from the fact that Appleton does not have any TV stations of its own. Their local news comes from 4 TV stations in Green Bay - I suspect that Yo Vanilla has formed an opinion based on hearing the news from the TV stations. Once Appleton gets their own TV stations, I am confident that we will here about more Appleton crime. Green Bay is safe!!

Healthcare is a concern for everyone...Green Bay has 4 major hospitals. When the doctors in Appleton can't handle the operation, they can send their patients to Green Bay.

Green Bay has a wonderful farmers market during the summer. My wife and children go often.

The bay of Green Bay is a nice place to launch a boat. A trip out to Longtail Island in the summer is fun - and packed with hundreds of people!

Sailing on Green Bay is a nice option as well.

Bay Beach, The NEW Zoo, and the Green Bay WildLife Sanctuary all offer very affordable entertainment for families - again, I mention affordable. Appleton has nothing that compares.

Green Bay had the Weidner Center before Appleton had the PAC. Green Bay managers of the Weidner screwed up and cancelled the contract with the source for performing acts - which the PAC scooped up. The PAC does have some better shows, but the Weidner Center still gets some good stuff coming throught - Jerry Seinfeld is coming soon (I can't wait)!

Soccer fields for kids - Appleton can't even come close to the number of outdoor and indoor fields.

I could go on. I get frustrated when I hear one sided people like Yo Vanilla base their opinions on a lack of information. And I mean nothing against Appleton. It is a nice town. It is a safe area. A clean area. Appleton people are much like Green Bay people. The reference to Leave it to Beaver should be a compliment not and insult. I do think Appeton has more wanna be types - but you will find them in every city. Wanna be's are like Packers fanatics - harmless.

Take away College Avenue and the mall and Appleton has?

Old 08-02-2008, 10:47 PM

195 posts, read 515,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
California is where the cars are. Ideally I'd like to work in the car business because that's what I love. The LA area has so many downsides, but nearly everything in the industry is present there. Plus, I heard it's warm out that way Who knows, I've been talking about that for nearly a decade...
It's way different here. It is warm and the winters are extremly mild. A light jacket is all I need in the winter. Southern Ca is beautiful in the winter. Snow capped mountains and it is actually clear when the "Santa Ana" winds blow. Other then that it is dirty, brown, ugly and Hot for what seems like 9 months out of the year. Some people like that. I tired of it. People are rude and anything that seems like the great out doors is crowded and over run by gang bangers or illegals. People actually grafitti on boulders and trees. Pathetic. If it's not the gang bangers and illegals then it's the wanna be tuff guys. It seems to be that so many people want to be "HARD".

Old 08-02-2008, 10:54 PM

195 posts, read 515,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleperson View Post
I think Green Bay is much nicer than Appleton. Like Green Bay, Appleton has a rather low unemployment rate (both economies are healthy). Aside from the mall near Appleton and College Avenue, Appleton has a fraction of what Green Bay has to offer.

Green Bay is a nice city by itself, but the surrounding communities (Suamico, Howard, DePere, Scott, Ashwaubenon, Allouez) make it even nicer. The Green Bay metropolitan area restaurant selection is great. I don't understand why anyone would think Appleton has a better selection? The Appleton area has a fraction of the population that Green Bay has...it also has a fraction of the library's, restaurants, churches, nightlife, employers, schools, and everything else.

You mentioned your daughters that are moving back with you. The Green Bay area has a larger selection of colleges to choose from...UWGB, NWTC, St. Norbert, Bellin College of Nursing, Bellin Hospital of Radiological Technology. UWGB is a great college that has a rural setting (many of the buildings are actually connected by tunnels underground).

The Resch Center brings in awesome concerts - big name concerts! Appleton has nothing like it.

The Brown County arena and Shopko Hall also offer weekend entertainment. Appleton has nothing comparable.

The KI convention center is also nice for tradeshows, weddings, and etc. It is a beautiful building - again, Appleton has nothing like it.

I am not a big football fan, but I will mention the Packers. Being a fan is not mandatory. I have lived here for many years and do not find the Packers fans annoying. Yes, there are some fanatics, but they are harmless. I am sure that when Appleton gets its won NFL team that they will have fanatics as well (you'll note that there are Packers fanatics all over the world).

As far as the smell mentioned by yo-vanilla, I don't have a clue what he/she is referring to. I have been all over the metro area and have only experienced an odor by the sewage plant - but then again, most real cities need a sewage plant don't they?

Yo-vanilla mentioned the dangerous bar scene around Green Bay. I watch the news every night and can't say that I can draw the conclusion that Green Bay has a threatening night life. Perhaps the perception comes from the fact that Appleton does not have any TV stations of its own. Their local news comes from 4 TV stations in Green Bay - I suspect that Yo Vanilla has formed an opinion based on hearing the news from the TV stations. Once Appleton gets their own TV stations, I am confident that we will here about more Appleton crime. Green Bay is safe!!

Healthcare is a concern for everyone...Green Bay has 4 major hospitals. When the doctors in Appleton can't handle the operation, they can send their patients to Green Bay.

Green Bay has a wonderful farmers market during the summer. My wife and children go often.

The bay of Green Bay is a nice place to launch a boat. A trip out to Longtail Island in the summer is fun - and packed with hundreds of people!

Sailing on Green Bay is a nice option as well.

Bay Beach, The NEW Zoo, and the Green Bay WildLife Sanctuary all offer very affordable entertainment for families - again, I mention affordable. Appleton has nothing that compares.

Green Bay had the Weidner Center before Appleton had the PAC. Green Bay managers of the Weidner screwed up and cancelled the contract with the source for performing acts - which the PAC scooped up. The PAC does have some better shows, but the Weidner Center still gets some good stuff coming throught - Jerry Seinfeld is coming soon (I can't wait)!

Soccer fields for kids - Appleton can't even come close to the number of outdoor and indoor fields.

I could go on. I get frustrated when I hear one sided people like Yo Vanilla base their opinions on a lack of information. And I mean nothing against Appleton. It is a nice town. It is a safe area. A clean area. Appleton people are much like Green Bay people. The reference to Leave it to Beaver should be a compliment not and insult. I do think Appeton has more wanna be types - but you will find them in every city. Wanna be's are like Packers fanatics - harmless.

Thanks for your input. It's nice to hear specifics. Like I said in my OP I'm familiar to both areas from an outsiders view. Both seemed very nice for shopping. We really like community events.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:03 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleperson View Post

wow thanks for singling me out as a one-sided **** . beg your pardon but i've been to green bay plenty of times to form an opinion based on something past, must of been oh, one newscast i saw about a bar shooting, right? on that subject, actually, i used to listen to bob and shelly on 98.5 (green bay station) in the morning. seemed like every time they read the news there was some kind of gang activity or bar fight or what have you.

once i got sick of them complaining about how fat they are yet how much they just looove mcdonalds i switched back to an appleton station, 105.7. call the radio talent biased if you want but the difference in crime reports is striking. even right here on the city-data.com city pages //www.city-data.com/city/Green-Bay-Wisconsin.html and //www.city-data.com/city/Appleton-Wisconsin.html there are literally twice as many of rapes, robberies, car thefts, murders (granted that one's low on both counts), arson, and burglaries reported in green bay than appleton (2006) but green bay assaults are almost quadruple.

take away the mall and college avenue and whats left? lol. should i suspect you form your opinions from living only in green bay your whole life?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 17,709 times
I have lived in the Appleton area about 15 years. I lived in Santa Cruz for a short time way back. I really like the Appleton area. They have the new Performing Arts Center and the Children's museum has really expanded. Green Bay is more diverse though, and has more cultural events. Your son would want to consider the schools wherever he moves. Wrightstown is right in between the two cities and is a very small nice community for raising a family. Not for someone who likes the night life though. I know Green Bay is going through a city revamp right now. It may take a few years. Good Luck.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 PM

20 posts, read 38,121 times
what a dilimma schlimma!! Both are great cities. However, I am partial to Appleton and I would def move there over Green Bay. In fact, I'm moving there myself in '09. It's just a "cooler" city. It's artsy, has amazing shopping, and is very easy to get around. Plus you are closer to MORE areas that have stuff to do. There is just so much to do around here if you just look for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin