Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:32 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,924 times

Advertisements

anyone else seeing signs of trouble where you live. I live in the northwoods and traffic on the roads and especially lakes is way way down. 4th of July parade attendance was pretty anemic and the grocery stores on friday afternoon are easy to go to again. I swear when you take a ride every other property around the lakes and in the countryside are for sale, and in town it is 2 out of 3. Lotsa layoffs in the factories, those 1 week that turns into 2 or 3 week kind. Not outright firings, but that is starting to happen. People seem spooked and the last time I went into pizza hut I was the only one there at supper time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 03:43 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
berries, I agree people are cutting back on going out. It's funny you mention Pizza Hut because I deliver pizzas there about twice a month and our business has went down dramatically. What is weird though are alot of places around here are hiring despite the economy. I think people are just being more careful with there money and not getting up north this summer. With gas prices we cut down our summer weekend trips as well. We kept our 9 day minocqua trip in the plan books though. lol Can't lose that one.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:00 AM

862 posts, read 1,051,289 times
Its pretty obvious that the dollar and US financial system Is very close to total collapse.People are scared as hell.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:09 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,924 times
Default hey folks

I must be the only one seeing things changing in my part of the state. I don't get out much and maybe everywhere else the economy is o.k.? Maybe I should move. Are your local governments cutting back on anything? I think our schools will be in trouble with the increase in food and power

Old 08-01-2008, 08:00 PM

122 posts, read 519,516 times
I'm not seeing it here in NW Wisconsin. Lakes are busy. Bars are still busy on Friday and Saturday nights. Highway 8 is still pretty crowded come Thurs and Fri with folks going north with trucks with boats, ATVs, campers, etc.

I do think folks are holding on tighter to there $$ but are still taking "the Minocqua trip" or so to speak, just maybe not EVERYone goes 2-3 times a month up north like they did before.

I actually think it will be good for my local community, it makes folks buy in their own towns and not travel that 30 or 45 minutes to Wal-Mart. I've done that LOTS.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:00 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
Are your local governments cutting back on anything? I think our schools will be in trouble with the increase in food and power
This has been going on for quite a few years now. I saw a headline recently (sorry don't know if it was a WI, MN, MI or AZ headline) that bussing children is going to be a large problem this year. It seems like that would hold true anywhere these days.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 AM

387 posts, read 1,332,024 times
We are also more NW in WI and things are fine. Lots of tourists. Restaurants are crowded and so are the lakes. Lots of traffic on Saturdays as the rentals change hands.
We were down in Milwaukee for the Brewers game and everything was jam packed, the lake, the parks etc.
Maybe people are doing more local events and staying in state. But we see lots of license plates from Iowa, Illinois, MN, North Carolina, Missouri etc.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:43 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
I hate all the tourism that has made its way to northern WI, so I won't comment on that. People from big cities buying luxe cabins so they can pretend to be outdoorsy, gag me.

Anyway, MKE is suffering. The metro still has one of the highest poverty rates in the country. And with Miller leaving, I have a feeling spirits are going to sink even more.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:09 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I hate all the tourism that has made its way to northern WI, so I won't comment on that. People from big cities buying luxe cabins so they can pretend to be outdoorsy, gag me.
And now full circle to the original post. No tourists and the whole area suffers. You cant bite the hand that feeds the town.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post

Anyway, MKE is suffering. The metro still has one of the highest poverty rates in the country. And with Miller leaving, I have a feeling spirits are going to sink even more.
The thing is, people build homes, buy boats, eat out, spend money... it all works. There is resentment, but if it weren't for tourism, a lot of people would end up moving to Chicago or Milwaukee or Minneapolis and more towns would dry up. Every place in the US has something that it does well, Wisconsin attracts visitors, other places have mining, ranching, whatever. It just happens that Wisconsin's northern reaches are a very nice place to vacation, so might as well make the best of it. There isn't really a reason for any animosity, people are going to have a good time, just as well everyone enjoys themselves--locals too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin