Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:13 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewi View Post
I am an Asian Indian and live near appleton. I have not seen any racial thing- people are nice and happy.
I am not going to take away from the fact that all people of color experience prejudice on one level or another. With that said, I think that Asian Indians are viewed differently from African-Americans. The narrative is not the same, the view is not the same. This goes for any part of the USA, whether it be Appleton,MKE, or where I live in metro Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 08:16 PM

279 posts, read 760,502 times
If the whole concept of "teabagging" and far right whack jobs isn't your thing, I wouldn't consider Appleton. There are a lot of kooks up there. As for the racial "tension" in Milwaukee, sure maybe the city is somewhat segregated but at the same time you aren't going to get strange looks when walking down the street. Can't say the same for Appleton. I wouldn't recommend it. Madison or Milwaukee are better options. Madison is better suited for IT, and has more jobs.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstone View Post
If the whole concept of "teabagging" and far right whack jobs isn't your thing, I wouldn't consider Appleton. There are a lot of kooks up there. As for the racial "tension" in Milwaukee, sure maybe the city is somewhat segregated but at the same time you aren't going to get strange looks when walking down the street. Can't say the same for Appleton. I wouldn't recommend it. Madison or Milwaukee are better options. Madison is better suited for IT, and has more jobs.
I think the concept of right-wing pundits can happen everywhere. What would make Appleton different is that it is a small city. It can happen in Milwaukee too.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:56 PM

46 posts, read 120,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerBlue View Post
.... I never really considered Wisconsin a destination until now..But this decision is critical cause the next place I go will be permanent!!
I hear that Blue.

Looking to get out of Florida and make another cross country move too to some place up north. Sioux Falls, SD is on my list, missed my chance to get up there earlier this year. I moved back to New Englang once at the beginning of the winter, can't say it worked out for the best because I was gone in the spring. I'm shooting to get up north at the end of winter so I can enjoy a place before I have to deal with snow again.

Wisconsin came on my radar as it seems to have an even cheaper cost of living than SD, and it has the slower paced, laid back kind of atmosphere I'm looking for. I'd be nice to be able to unpack some of my boxes knowing it's for good.

Hope you're decision works out for you.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickWins View Post
I hear that Blue.

Looking to get out of Florida and make another cross country move too to some place up north. Sioux Falls, SD is on my list, missed my chance to get up there earlier this year. I moved back to New Englang once at the beginning of the winter, can't say it worked out for the best because I was gone in the spring. I'm shooting to get up north at the end of winter so I can enjoy a place before I have to deal with snow again.

Wisconsin came on my radar as it seems to have an even cheaper cost of living than SD, and it has the slower paced, laid back kind of atmosphere I'm looking for. I'd be nice to be able to unpack some of my boxes knowing it's for good.

Hope you're decision works out for you.
I thought South Dakota would have a cheaper cost of living than Wisconsin.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:37 PM

279 posts, read 760,502 times
that would depend on the actual city. madison and milwaukee are the only two areas where cost of living is much higher than average within the state. i'd imagine sioux falls is the same for SD. rural areas i would have to believe SD is much cheaper, ND cheaper still. but there's not a huge job market in either place. sioux falls is the brunt of it.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:47 PM

15 posts, read 70,175 times
Not to digress too badly, but I need a Black hair stylist. I just moved to Green Bay in December and I am at my wits end, I cannot and have not found a Black stylist to work on my hair. I have been strggling with doing it on my own and I'm failing terribly. Help!!

Old 02-06-2010, 06:07 PM

15 posts, read 70,175 times
sorry wrong thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:29 PM

46 posts, read 120,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I thought South Dakota would have a cheaper cost of living than Wisconsin.
Sioux Falls, and surrounding towns are about the same rent wise tho I'm finding few rents in the winter months in SD that equal the prices I saw last year when I was looking in April, May and June.

From what I can gather, that's their boom period for renting.

Wisconsin; appleton, FDL, menasha areas specifically, seem to have cheap rents on a more consistent basis through out the year.

Both are considerably cheaper than where I'm at. It'll really come down to which area yields more job leads when I'm ready to move.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:43 AM

10 posts, read 61,078 times
I have a decent amount of family in the Fox Valley and I'm really not impressed with the area. People on here keep saying that Appleton is "cosmopolitan" or a "small big town"... maybe it's these things by Northern WI standards, but I don't see it. Aside from the (overrated, IMO) College Ave bar scene, if you want to do anything that doesn't involve football or dead animals, then be prepared to take a lot of trips to Milwaukee and Madison.

Also, since moving back to Milwaukee in 2003, I've found the stories about racial tension to be... at the very least... exaggerated. Milwaukee's owes much of its high segregation index to the fact that the suburbs are lily-white. As I've said in another thread, aside from the far south side (which is still stuck in the Laverne & Shirley days), I can't think of a single neighborhood in the entire city that would think twice about the blackfolk that moved in up the block. Plus areas like the Eastside, Riverwest, Third Ward and Bay View are seeing rapid new development (well... about as rapid as development can happen here in Wisconsin). It's also one of the few places in the state where you won't have to network your a** off just to find a barber. In short... don't let sensationalist media hype turn you off from Milwaukee... it's definitely worth your time to give it a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin