Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 PM

93,222 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Madison would be my pick, personally. It's a college town of about 200,000 and the city seems to be very progressive and diverse. I noticed that the administration in their school district is very diverse and the school district is very good too. It doesn't hurt that the main campus of the University of Wisconsin and the state capital are there. How safe is Madison though? It seems like it isn't that bad in that regard. I would think that there is a lot going on too. Here's some information on the city: Madison, Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City of Madison, Wisconsin - Official Site

Madison Metropolitan School District
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 10:18 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerBlue View Post
Well Vanilla the place sounds good and it seems I keep hearing alot more good then bad. And I keep hearing Appleton is alot better then Green Bay. I looked at the images of Green Bay and the city seems alot older. Was not really impressed with the downtown. Maybe that would change if I actually visit there. But Appleton I think is the one callin my name the most lol. La Crosse seems pretty cool too. Read alot about that town as well. But I think Appleton would have more jobs in my field. Thank you. I never really considered Wisconsin a destination until now..But this decision is critical cause the next place I go will be permanent!!
I'm glad it sounds appealing, because I do like it here. But one more thing... you are from the south. Don't know if you have had any kind of winter experience... but it is harsh. I mean, really, really bad. There's weeks on end where the high temp never gets past 10F or if we're lucky, 15F, and it's windy as hell too. Last winter, and granted it was the most snow we've ever had on record, was a real PITA for shoveling snow, driving through the mess. So just be prepared. And make sure your tires can handle the snow and ice. I recommend getting a second set of wheels for your car with snow tires.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:15 PM

69 posts, read 194,095 times
Default Appleton or

Quote:
Cool! Sounds good. I don't mind a whitebread leave it to beaver town. I perfer that actually! lol What part of Wisconsin are you in?
I have many threads about Wi and problems I've had (and I'm a white male!) but my family is of mixed race. Not violence or threats just a general coolness (not in hip but not inviting). You'll be asked dumb questions like you'd see in a low budget movie comedy. Things like, yeah I work with a black guy maybe you know him his name is.. and you'll get a few "you people" that are supposed to be complements. hee hee.
Years ago a black man in the Green Bay area would be assumed to be associated with the Packers. If you're not visiting or playing on the team then there would be suspicion. That has changed a lot. Green Bay has more crime and the core area has started to get an inner city look. You sound bi-cultural so I think Appleton would fit with what you're looking for.
Be aware of redneck bars of course as anywhere. I think you could freely drive around to other towns and rural areas but even I no longer go into small rural bars and restaurants. There is something unique in Wi as I've mentioned in other posts and that is the stare. When you walk in everyone stares when the door opens to see if they know you and if not they'll sit and stare at you trying to figure you out I guess. It's made me very uncomfortable at times.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:24 PM

65 posts, read 358,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Madison would be my pick, personally. It's a college town of about 200,000 and the city seems to be very progressive and diverse. I noticed that the administration in their school district is very diverse and the school district is very good too. It doesn't hurt that the main campus of the University of Wisconsin and the state capital are there. How safe is Madison though? It seems like it isn't that bad in that regard. I would think that there is a lot going on too. Here's some information on the city: Madison, Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City of Madison, Wisconsin - Official Site

Madison Metropolitan School District
Hmm.... Yeah I like the scenery it's nice!! Now it's going to be a hard decsion!!! Only thing is there is 4times the amount of people there and I for some reason like smaller cities. I feel when cities are too big people get more unpersonable and not really caring about anything. 200,000 people actuallly is not to bad I guess. It looks from the photos its pretty clean though. So have u been to madison quite a bit?

Last edited by ComputerBlue; 08-09-2008 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: needed to change some stuff

Old 08-09-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
I'm glad it sounds appealing, because I do like it here. But one more thing... you are from the south. Don't know if you have had any kind of winter experience... but it is harsh. I mean, really, really bad. There's weeks on end where the high temp never gets past 10F or if we're lucky, 15F, and it's windy as hell too. Last winter, and granted it was the most snow we've ever had on record, was a real PITA for shoveling snow, driving through the mess. So just be prepared. And make sure your tires can handle the snow and ice. I recommend getting a second set of wheels for your car with snow tires.
OH OH Wow well i better drive up with those snow tires lol! I will haft to get thick skin and deal with it lol. Hey have u been out to Madison and if u have what do u think of the place?

Old 08-09-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaDoggie View Post
I have many threads about Wi and problems I've had (and I'm a white male!) but my family is of mixed race. Not violence or threats just a general coolness (not in hip but not inviting). You'll be asked dumb questions like you'd see in a low budget movie comedy. Things like, yeah I work with a black guy maybe you know him his name is.. and you'll get a few "you people" that are supposed to be complements. hee hee.
Years ago a black man in the Green Bay area would be assumed to be associated with the Packers. If you're not visiting or playing on the team then there would be suspicion. That has changed a lot. Green Bay has more crime and the core area has started to get an inner city look. You sound bi-cultural so I think Appleton would fit with what you're looking for.
Be aware of redneck bars of course as anywhere. I think you could freely drive around to other towns and rural areas but even I no longer go into small rural bars and restaurants. There is something unique in Wi as I've mentioned in other posts and that is the stare. When you walk in everyone stares when the door opens to see if they know you and if not they'll sit and stare at you trying to figure you out I guess. It's made me very uncomfortable at times.
Yeah media doogie greenbay I looked into and it did not seem appealing. Looked kind of dead. I mean the photos were not convincing me to even try it out lol. Yeah I have feeling I would get stared at abit lol. I was in boise Id for alil bit and I definitely got looked at when I left the city limits lol. I won't take the dumb questions and comments to heart lol i will understand. I'm lightskinned but still I know i will get some stares. Im very friendly and out going so I hope maybe that will help man
I hope Appleton will work out. Its seems as if i'm going to haft to put my boots on the ground and check it out for a few days in the summer. Greenbay won't even be on my radar unless I fall in love with a women who drags me kicking and screaming to be with her there lol!!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
OH OH Wow well i better drive up with those snow tires lol! I will haft to get thick skin and deal with it lol. Hey have u been out to Madison and if u have what do u think of the place?

I love Madison and if I'd move to any other place in WI that'd be it. I don't really have a bad thing to say about it. Housing is more expensive than here, parking isn't so great downtown (though I've never not found a place to park) and it's a little bit spread out due to the location between the two lakes, but that's about it. State Street is a very cool place; the road is closed to traffic so it's a 6 or 10 block pedestrial mall with lots of shops, restaraunts, etc. It's definitely worth a look.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:20 AM

Hey Vanilla Madison seems cool. I been reading about it. It's like I would not be sorry in either place. But you know if Appleton does not workout in a since which I doubt I can always go there. I never lived in a town like the size of Appleton 70,000 people and I think it would be a big change ya know. Like I said earlier in another post that people would be alot more personable in a smaller setting. I got people asking me now why Wisconsin lol. I just tell them I'm just wanna see how it is ya know. I like cold weather and hate the heat. In the heat you can't really wear anything nice cause u sweat in the seconds that u walk outside from ur house to the car lol. What is that lol. I like the cold and more snow the better. I will freeze and be sick my 1st year but I will get used to it ha! I think I will have a good time and meet good people. Do u have any good places to meet a older crowd downtown? LIke a nice pub or lounge or a certain Bar? Im 30 and I hate 18 and up places lol its just to far beneath me now.... hehehehe

Old 08-11-2008, 05:28 PM

10 posts, read 78,161 times
Hi computer, i thought your post was interesting and i'm not sure if i can help, but i've lived in wausau all my life so i thought i'd add a few things..
first, winters really aren't quite as bad as described. In the last few years, winter has been getting really weird.. but not < ten degrees for weeks or whatever. I've worked at a car dealership and most people have all weather tires (radial).. i dont think you really need to buy separate snow tires!
i can't really imagine anyone staring at you because you're black in a city of +70thou. even if its 80% white. (if you have a 2-foot long orange mohawk.. maybe..lol) but you said you're friendly so no matter what i bet you will meet people right away.
I dont know what mediadoggie wants you to watch for in rural areas etc, but all i can think of is you'll get stared at (definitely, lol) anyone who is a bit different will be, that's how it is, unlike in, say.. madison where everyone's a bit unusual. lol.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Hey Vanilla Madison seems cool. I been reading about it. It's like I would not be sorry in either place. But you know if Appleton does not workout in a since which I doubt I can always go there. I never lived in a town like the size of Appleton 70,000 people and I think it would be a big change ya know. Like I said earlier in another post that people would be alot more personable in a smaller setting. I got people asking me now why Wisconsin lol. I just tell them I'm just wanna see how it is ya know. I like cold weather and hate the heat. In the heat you can't really wear anything nice cause u sweat in the seconds that u walk outside from ur house to the car lol. What is that lol. I like the cold and more snow the better. I will freeze and be sick my 1st year but I will get used to it ha! I think I will have a good time and meet good people. Do u have any good places to meet a older crowd downtown? LIke a nice pub or lounge or a certain Bar? Im 30 and I hate 18 and up places lol its just to far beneath me now.... hehehehe
Let's see... I'm 30 myself, but married with two kids so I don't get out much anymore. But on the College Avenue bar scene I think you'll find a bit older crowd at: Deja Vu Martini Lounge, Cleo's or maybe The Clubhouse inside the Raddison. There will mostly a young crowd at Anduzzi's, Wet, and perhaps the Speakeasy (but I haven't been to Speakeasy in a few years, and they've changed their image so who knows). There will be a mix at most other places like Mill Creek Blues, The Bar, CU Saloon, and Park Central. Park Central is a large building with 4 bars and one restaraunt under the roof, almost like a mall setting. One bar there (Brooklyn's) usually has a majority of black and asian patrons but it's usually the younger crowd. Same with Wet (down the street) and there you'll likely see some Green Bay Packers. Next to that is a karaoke bar and one called Amazon, which is where you'll find more late 20's or 30 somethings.

And there's alot of great restaraunts and a few good coffee houses on the Ave too, many of which have a bar/lounge area. Check out Appleton Downtown, Inc. > Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin