Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:11 PM

72,817 posts, read 62,152,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Appleton is one of the few towns that doesn't totally fall into the Wisconsin stereotype.
Please tell me who. Appleton looks like a beautiful place being near a large lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 10:54 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,128,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerBlue View Post
My dream city though was Burlington, Vermont. Man Vermont is Beautiful and super safe.
I live in Burlington and I have lived in Wisconsin. Burlington is a lot like Madison. Appleton on the other hand is nothing like Burlington. As for Vermont being super safe, it's safer than most places for sure, but we have our problems like any place. Take Milwaukee, Racine, Janesville, Kenosha out of Wisconsin and Wisconsin is just as safe.

You really get a lot for your money in Wisconsin.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:18 PM

I think the OP is looking for a safe place to live and to be accepted regardless of race. Everyone should be entitled to that. I don't know much about Appleton but it does appear that crime is low. Madison for its size has low crime. All I know about Appleton today is what a woman told me, because she is a former resident. She told me that one of the things that she liked about Atlanta was the diversity. She said that there were only two black students in her high school. Honestly, I have this to say: Go for a visit and check out Appleton and Madison before making any decision.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:45 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,128,809 times
One strange thing about Appleton, a lot of soccer moms living in some of the larger cookie cutter suburbia homes there really think that they are on par with Chicago or New York's upper crust. It's pretty funny actually. Even more impressed with themselves then than the Shorewood or White Fish Bay crowd. I want to shake them and say "Hey, it's Appleton!".

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,149 times
Hey man I grew up in appleton. Currently I live near Atlanta. One A-town to another.
I am a white boy and my wife is black. We have three kids. I am telling you now there are several different cultures there but few in population. Maybe 85 percent white. Dont want to scare you away though it will not be an isseu for you. People maybe arent used to diversity there but they are definetly open minded. I think if you have good character that your complexion wont matter. I would take my family back any day and would not be worried about anything.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:04 AM

65 posts, read 358,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I live in Burlington and I have lived in Wisconsin. Burlington is a lot like Madison. Appleton on the other hand is nothing like Burlington. As for Vermont being super safe, it's safer than most places for sure, but we have our problems like any place. Take Milwaukee, Racine, Janesville, Kenosha out of Wisconsin and Wisconsin is just as safe.

You really get a lot for your money in Wisconsin.
Yeah I see Vermont is very pricey compared to Wisconsin! Yeah I think most states if u take out the bad cities they would be better lol!!!

Old 09-21-2008, 12:05 AM

65 posts, read 358,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
One strange thing about Appleton, a lot of soccer moms living in some of the larger cookie cutter suburbia homes there really think that they are on par with Chicago or New York's upper crust. It's pretty funny actually. Even more impressed with themselves then than the Shorewood or White Fish Bay crowd. I want to shake them and say "Hey, it's Appleton!".

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
LoL Funny

Old 10-15-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycarriveau View Post
Hey man I grew up in appleton. Currently I live near Atlanta. One A-town to another.
I am a white boy and my wife is black. We have three kids. I am telling you now there are several different cultures there but few in population. Maybe 85 percent white. Dont want to scare you away though it will not be an isseu for you. People maybe arent used to diversity there but they are definetly open minded. I think if you have good character that your complexion wont matter. I would take my family back any day and would not be worried about anything.
Have you taken your family to Appleton?

Old 10-29-2008, 04:25 PM

17,466 posts, read 38,877,668 times
My sister lives in Appleton, and I have only visited briefly. My impression was that there was very little diversity - I saw almost nothing but Caucasian, maybe one or two black and a couple hispanic folks (I am also part Spanish). However, this area seems to be really, really safe. I was shocked at how my sis and her roommate would always leave their car unlocked, even at places like liquor stores, and leave the front door unlocked and even OPEN sometimes at night to get fresh air! So I guess that would indicate a very low crime rate.

Despite the lack of diversity, I don't think there is or would be problems with those of other races, it seems like a pretty nice little town overall.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My sister lives in Appleton, and I have only visited briefly. My impression was that there was very little diversity - I saw almost nothing but Caucasian, maybe one or two black and a couple hispanic folks (I am also part Spanish). However, this area seems to be really, really safe. I was shocked at how my sis and her roommate would always leave their car unlocked, even at places like liquor stores, and leave the front door unlocked and even OPEN sometimes at night to get fresh air! So I guess that would indicate a very low crime rate.

Despite the lack of diversity, I don't think there is or would be problems with those of other races, it seems like a pretty nice little town overall.
One way to find out is to ask the blacks and Hispanics who do live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin