U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2007, 02:34 PM

939 posts, read 2,134,533 times

Advertisements

I hesitate to post this as a Chicagoan looking for a vacation home in Wisconsin since I've read some previous threads on the subject, but I'd really like your help...

We are considering buying a vacation home in WI. We'd like to be on a medium sized lake, possibly waterfront (though maybe not in our budget), but waterview fine too. We'd like to steer clear of the very big lakes or lakes that are mainly packed with speedboats and waterskiiers (though some of that is fine - am I being naive?). We'd like a fairly wooded area, as we would go year round, as much in the winter as in the summer. We are also looking for areas that aren't completely crowded with other people like us (read: full of mainly Chicago folk), though I assume that may be unavoidable if we're on a lake. We'd like to be within four hours of our home (the northern suburbs of Chicago). We're not looking for big and fancy in terms of a place. 2 or 3 bedrooms (or 1 bedroom and a loft) and one bath is fine. If we could get more for the money, great, but not necessary. Would be nice to have at least an acre, but would be willing to have less if on the water. Our price limit is less than $400,000, probably closer to $300,000.

Does anyone know about LaValle (Lake Redstone), Oxford (Deep Lake or Glacier Lake), Nekoosa/Rome (Lake Camelot/Arrowhead) or Castlerock Lake? Finally, what about the Mauston area or the Waupaca area? Also, I know I said no large lake, but if you have any insight on Petenwell Lake and the surrounding area that would be great too. Not interested in Door County or anything beyond a four hour drive. Any other areas you would recommend?

We'll probably be going to visit some of these areas in the next month, but appreciate your thoughts and information. Especially if we are overlooking great areas or should eliminate some of those mentioned.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 17,232 times
Paige, I have the perfect lake house for you. I say perfect because I'm the one selling it! I work downtown Milwaukee, when I go up for the weekend it takes me exactly 2 hours and 10 minutes - use that to help you judge how long it will take you. It is on the end of a quiet "no-wake" lake connected to 24 (exact # not known!) other lakes on the Waupaca Chain-of-Lakes. 3 BR/2 BA with attached garage. Your view is nice and quiet, yet there is connected "wake" lakes that skiing, tubing, etc is allowed during certain hours of the day. The entire house has been updated - new siding, floors, bathrooms, kitchen, the works (including a brand new floating pier)! It has a HUGE deck that's only about 40 feet from the water (which would be IMPOSSIBLE to get a permit to build new these days). Anyways, if you're intrested, I'll send the link. Best part about this property (well too much Bests, to offically name this one as THE best..) is that it's probably the cheapest tax you'll find on the chain. Just listed at $475

Old 02-03-2007, 11:16 AM

19 posts, read 146,330 times
The Waupaca area is very nice. I have a cottage on a lake there.

I too know of a good property for you. It's on a small-medium size lake that doesn't allow any speedboats. It's mostly good for fishing and looking at. There's a cabin on the property too that was built recently. I'm not the one selling it, but I know the people who are.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:28 PM

9 posts, read 34,232 times
I also know someone who is selling a lake property. I think they are asking around 250 or so. It is in Oxford, I believe. Small no-wake lake with about an acre of land. It was built within the past year. Let me know if you need more info.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:04 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,438,025 times
They have just built a whole lot of condos up on Castlerock Lake. I think the name of the group selling them is Northern Bay and they have a web site, if you are interested in something like that. I know they were selling for less than your target price but am not sure what they are going for now. There also a limited number of seperate houses in the project. World class golf course and many other ammenties.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 10,191 times
Hi-

We are from the Chicago suburbs, too. We looked for almost a year for a lakehouse. We went to Castle Rock Lake, very dirty, and Petenwell, has a nice green color from toxic algae, Lake Geneva, too expensive, Lake Winnebago, too big and shallow. We went up to Shawano, WI and looked at waterfront. Nice area, but no charm. The houses were very close together. We found a place in Keshena, WI on Legend Lake. It is very north woodsy, the lake is spring fed, so it is extremely clear and clean (my big concern). It is 1400 acres and 74 feet deep. The lot we bought is 3/4 of an acre with 104 feet of sand frontage...did I mention the lake is sand bottom. It is a private lake. We bought this house for about 230,000. Very reasonable compared to everything else we looked at. It is less than 4 hours from Chicago. We've found most of the people that are there are from either Illinois, Appleton, Fon du Lac, Green Bay and Osh Kosh as the lake is pristine. There is a website that gives the history on the lake as well as pictures and things to do. This is run by some of the homeowners up there. There aren't any commercial properties on the lake either. In the big lakes, it is no wake from 6:00 p.m. until 10:00 a.m. for the fishermen. But from 10:00 a.m. unti 6:00 p.m. there is a wake in the big lakes.

I am a realtor in Chicago and by doing a lot of research I've found that you have to be careful of the lakes that are surrounded by farmland and industry as a lot of waste goes into the water. Petenwell and Castle Rock have farmlands and papermills. We went to Petenwell last July and the water was thick, green, smelly and dead fish were all over the shoreline. You can research those lakes on the internet. We closed in December and after everything we looked at we felt the prices were still right and gave us the northwoods feel without the 6+ hour drive. Shawano is a big town and is about 7 miles from the lake. They have restaurants, hotels, stores, etc.. Coming from Chicago, we wanted something that felt like we were in the middle of nowhere, but we actually weren't.

the website is www.legendlake.org

I hope this helps you out!!! We love it!!!

Last edited by laurak425; 04-01-2007 at 08:17 AM..

Old 05-22-2007, 06:48 PM

1,085 posts, read 3,331,577 times
Paige,
We have a lake house near Waupaca that we are selling. We are asking 320k. One acre lot, 110' lake frontage. Two bedroom, walkout basement with view of the lake, deck off of living room with lake view, 2 car garage, small boathouse, etc, etc. I think the lake area is about 150 acres, 48ft maximum depth.

Let me know if you are interested and I can send you some pics.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:31 AM

4 posts, read 25,117 times
I was born and spent the better part of my childhood in Waupaca, it's excellent for summertime hanging out and general laziness. But keep in mind the town has gotten bigger and closer to the Chain than it used to be. Plus there seems to be a lot of people moving back from Appleton due to the crime and overall crap going on there.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:39 PM

1,085 posts, read 3,331,577 times
Waupaca had to do it's own recount after the 2000 census. They were twenty or thirty short of five thousand according to the government count.
Five thousand pop. put them in a different bracket for federal and state funding.

I don't think it has grown more than a few hundred since then.

I don't know where you get your info about people moving from Appleton because of the crime rate so I won't comment on it.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 9,480 times
Smile Glaser Lake

Our family owns a vacacation house on Glaser Lake in Oxford Wisconsin. We live in the Western Suburbs of Chicago and it takes about 2 1/2 hrs to get to the house. We really enjoy the area, the lake and its central proximity to the Dells, Princeton, Green Lake, etc.

We have actually desided to list the house with Kravick Realty this past week. If you are still looking contact Sue Kravick (Susan K. Kravick - Homes for sale in Westfield, Montello, Oxford, Neshkoro, Briggsville, Coloma, Brooks, Grand Marsh , Endeavor, Kravick Realty, kravick, marquette county, waushara county, adams) and she can send you the detailed information.

The house is a four season house on Glaser lake with 60' frontage. It is a beautiful wooded lot with lots of Oak trees. The house is a large 4 season with a 2 car garage; 3 bedrooms; 2 bathrooms; Open floor plan with a walkout basement. The house is about 12 yr old and in very good condition. We have listed the house to move at $249,000. Washer/Dryer, frig, stove, dishwasher, kids playset, paddleboat & alumimum boat all go with the house.

I believe the listing will be posted on her site within the next couple days. This is a great house on a very quiet lake. My wife does not want to sell, but I talked her into looking for a house on a water skiing lake. I owe her one.

If you have any questions, send us an e-mail at pcdevine@netzero.net

Craig & Patti Devine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin