U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:47 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,861,887 times

Advertisements

Warning: Rant incoming!

I do not, for the life of me, understand the local fascination with football in general and with Brett Favre specifically. Will he stay??? Will he go??? Oh no, the world is ending!!! Brett might play for someone else!!!

Come on, folks, get a grip. It's a GAME. Whether he plays or not will not put food on your table, clothe or educate your kids, pay your mortgage, save your job, cure your illnesses or impact your life in any significant way.

I am disgusted that any news organization would consider ANY of this Favre drama to be "Breaking News". What an abuse of the concept of "Breaking News". "Breaking News" should be reserved for things that MATTER. For life and death situations. Not for some stupid footballer. And especially not for one who, in my opinion, has been nothing but a whining, crying "Look at meeeeeeeee! You're not paying attention to meeeeeeee!!!" sort of person.

This is a Sports story, not a News story. It may, for the locals, be the leading Sports story, but it shouldn't be anything more. If I were the GM of one of these local stations, my News Director would be looking for another job for abusing "Breaking News" over this silly Brett business.

It's now "Breaking News" that he's leaving. People actually seem to be in mourning, I kid you not. From me, good riddance. Of course, I wish him no ill will but honestly, I could live quite contentedly if I never heard another word about him. Ever. I would say "who cares" but I know I'd be bowled over by a chorus of "We do!!!!!!"

I feel like I'm probably the only person in Wisconsin who feels this way (aside from my family members, who all feel the same way). I just had to get that off my chest.

Last edited by Nelly Nomad; 08-06-2008 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: I spelled his name wrong. Can't change the spelling in the title, unfortunately.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-06-2008, 12:53 PM

350 posts, read 622,237 times
I agree with you, and I now live in WI. Is very boring - far more important things to worry about - yet people seem fixated on it. I must confess, I prefer soccer to US football anyway.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:04 PM

534 posts, read 1,520,261 times
Totally agree with you Nelly. It's the only thing I don't miss about living in Wisconsin. When we do move back in a year or so, this should all be water under the bridge and we won't have to hear about it. We live in a state with no pro teams, and this story made the sports maybe twice since it started. My parents are coming to visit today for a few days and are actually looking forward to watching our news.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:48 PM

15 posts, read 56,030 times
Default Heard Enough

Couldnt agree more. I have only lived in Wisconsin 1 year but I have heard enough for a life time. The news station took over the World News to air that press conference yesterday. Amazing how that takes over World happenings!
Not in my book.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:49 PM

746 posts, read 2,063,101 times
Default Agreed...

While I admit to being mildly interested in the outcome, I do not think it warrants "BREAKING NEWS" status at all. It had better be a weather alert or something as important as the presidential election results or 911 to warrant that status. It definitely could have waited until the regular news broadcast.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:56 PM

13,256 posts, read 13,177,165 times
It has gone on too long and at noon today, a whole news cast was nothing but Favre surely there are other things happening today to warrant coverage? It has been the lead story for days and days now and breaking in during regular programming, crazy.

I hope people realize there is life after Favre move on and support their team.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:57 PM

395 posts, read 1,759,689 times
I'm much more of a baseball fan than a football fan, but I can understand why people are interested. Favre was one of the greatest quarterbacks to play the game, and he obviously was tortured over the decision to retire. This resonates with people outside of sports: how do you know when to bow out when you've reached the pinnacle of your profession? How do you go from being top dog to being just another retiree? It's a question that nags at a lot of people as they get older.

Having said that, I find the local "news" coverage of the drama to be totally over the top. But I find all local TV "news" to be over the top. Your average local TV "news"cast is 75% hype and teasers, 15% BS and maybe, if you're lucky, 10% actual information. All that's happening here is they're replacing one truckload of vacuous hype ("storm team" coverage, the latest murder or child molester moving in, 10 things in your home that can kill you) with another truckload of hype (Brett Favre, Brett Favre, Brett Favre).

My solution to the sorry state of local TV "news" is simple: I don't watch it. I tune in for the weather, and, during baseball season, to see the highlights from the Brewers game. Aside from that I take nothing they dish out seriously at all.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,105 posts, read 35,840,858 times
It's a big story nationally, so I'm not surprised that it receives breathless coverage locally. The Pack is the only pro team in the state that has statewide appeal. I could count on one hand the number of times I saw someone in Wisconsin wearing Bucks gear while I lived there and the Brewers haven't been really good in over 25 years.

There are advantages to living in Wisconsin and not being a Packer fan. When I lived there, I used to do my shopping during Packer games. During the Super Bowl in 1997, you could have shot a cannon through the supermarket I was in and not hit a customer.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:57 PM

10,483 posts, read 14,747,398 times
Here Here!!!! I am on the "who gives a crap about the Packers" bandwagon as well. Todays WISN email had all top stories concerning the packers...egad!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,872,187 times
I don't understand why Aaron Rodgers is being verbally attacked at training camp. It's not his fault Favre (Faav -rey) chose this path...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin