Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:05 PM

438 posts, read 1,730,561 times

Advertisements

Anyone have pics of Waupaca, Nekoosa, Dayton, Mt Morris or Red Granite? I'd love to see main street types shots. I know I must have been through these areas but for the life of me can't remember anything about them.

Would any be a good place to raise a child?

Thanks for any info!

Dea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I've been through Mt. Morris a lot of times. I staffed at a Boy Scout camp in neighborhing Wild Rose and we had to pass through Mt. Morris to get to the nearest town with anything approximating civilization (namely Wautoma), such as a grocery store, a laundromat, a restaurant that didn't suck, and the like.

Here's the scoop on Mt. Morris: there's nothing there. Literally nothing. There's no "Main Street," there's no downtown, no shops, no restaurants, nothing. Not even a residential neighborhood. The town of Mt. Morris is basically an intersection of two farm roads. It's a mailing address and nothing else. There is one VERY small lake with a few houses around it with docks and rickety old pontoon boats. Oh, and there's a small church there too.

The terrain is pretty flat with some small rolling hills and the topography is a mix of woods and dairy farms. There's decent recreational opportunities there with some lakes nearby. I'd guess snowmobiling would be a cinch too come wintertime. Oh yeah, and they also have the smallest ski hill I have ever seen -- total vertical drop maybe a couple hundred feet -- basically a glorified sledding hill. But it even has a tiny little ski lift and everything. It's about the goofiest thing I've ever seen.

EDIT: Here's the web page for the ski hill (laughably named "Nordic Mountain"), most likely served by a telephone modem: http://www.nordicmountain.com/

If you want to raise kids in the epicenter of nowhere, Mt. Morris is a great place to do it. If you like the area in general but want to be near a bare hint of civilization, I'd look closer to Wautoma.

Last edited by Drover; 08-14-2008 at 02:17 PM..

Old 08-15-2008, 06:04 AM

1,085 posts, read 3,566,438 times
Waupaca is a nice town, 2000 census was at 5000, good schools, a fair amount of extra curricular activies for kids. The Chain of Lakes provides fishing and skiing. Waupaca also has a lot public hunting areas. Shopping is limited, KMart, Fleetfarm, Pick and Save, Piggly wiggly, and Walgreens are the only big name chain stores, but there are a lot of privately owned stores. Since it is a tourist town many gift shops, a half dozen little strip malls, a few fast food restaurants.

You have the Wisconsin Veterans which employees almost a thousand people and the foundry with probably an equal amount of employees. May to September the population grows with a lot of summer residents.

Waupaca also has a decent hospital, several clinics, many good doctors.

All in all it's a nice town to raise kids.

I'll see what I can do about some pictures next time I go there.

Last edited by Hntr; 08-15-2008 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-15-2008, 07:35 AM

Waupaca also has a public lifeguarded beach at South Park, a winter skating rink at the Expo Center and live music at the town square every Wednesday evening during the summer. The town square is also has a fine library and the city hall.

Nearby is Hartman Creek State Park with another beach for kids, hiking trails, horseback riding trail, crosscountry skiing trails and a multitude of activities like nature hikes, night hikes and fishing seminars put on by the state.

For serious shopping Appleton is 40 miles east and Stevens Point is 25 miles west.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 AM

Town Square: includes Library, City Hall and Gazebo for live music on Wednesday nights.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4442/imageb200808140045nv5.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-15-2008, 11:59 AM

438 posts, read 1,730,561 times
Hntr - Wow! Thanks for all the pictures of Waupaca. I'll have to put that on my short list. It looks about the right size and main street shots appear very quaint. Small enough to really get to know people and large enough to get groceries and have enough kids in each grade.

Drover - thanks for the info on Mt Morris. That's kind of the impression my husband had from looking at the atlas but looking at houses for sale, just wasn't sure.

Dea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin