Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 PM

937 posts, read 864,615 times

Advertisements

My sister's gay best friend just came back from Wisconsin, after visiting his mom. When he called her, he was so angry, words cannot describe. He just generalized the state as "rude, obnoxious, and downright judgmental". Is it true for every city in Wisconsin? I have never been there myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 10:47 PM

746 posts, read 2,176,149 times
Default No!

I'm sorry about your friends experience. We don't all feel that way. There is a healthy gay community in Madison and Milwaukee. I'm not sure about the other cities. We do have our share of rednecks though. Especially in the smaller towns and more rural areas. But, that does not mean that they are in the majority by any means. We also have many progressive, open minded people as well. I have a gay family member living in Madison and I've never heard of her having any big issues. She's certainly welcome in my home anytime.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:53 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,106 times
Out side of Madison and parts of MKE it sure is-actually reactionary should replace conservative in general useage.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:01 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
My sister's gay best friend just came back from Wisconsin, after visiting his mom. When he called her, he was so angry, words cannot describe. He just generalized the state as "rude, obnoxious, and downright judgmental". Is it true for every city in Wisconsin? I have never been there myself.
How would people have known he was gay unless he was flaunting it in some way?
My guess is that he was doing or saying *something* to cause all that rudeness and obnoxiousness. If it was that bad, it didn't happen for nothing.
If he doesn't visit again, that would probably be OK with most of us.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:38 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,236 times
Yes, outside of Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin is pretty conservative. That said, most people will be civil, even to someone who is really flaming. My guess is he ran into a couple of jerks and then his expectations were set, and not unreasonably so.

I have to wonder, also however, if he is from here originally (being that he was visiting his mom), if he didn't have bad experiences growing up and then couldn't help but see slights and rudeness where it may not have actually existed. I have to admit to seeing the worst in the community I grew up in because I had a particularly brutal childhood. Just a series of unfortunate events, including having my breast grabbed by a football quarter back in middle school. I ran from the room crying and of course he got in trouble. It took years before the heckling stopped for the most part and even then one guy wouldn't let it go. The comments were quite crude and cruel. I don't want to hold a grude against the whole city, but I kind of do.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:48 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times
The notion that one person felt "people" in a state of 5-million+ were "rude, obnoxious, and downright judgmental", that that somehow plays into a state being "conservative" (whether politically, socially, or other) is frankly silly.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
How would people have known he was gay unless he was flaunting it in some way?
My guess is that he was doing or saying *something* to cause all that rudeness and obnoxiousness. If it was that bad, it didn't happen for nothing.
If he doesn't visit again, that would probably be OK with most of us.
Right, because just being gay doesn't cause hateful remarks & actions by others Nice assumptions.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:55 PM

81 posts, read 295,749 times
Not just Wisconsin are conservative but in my experience, people outside of urban centers tend to be THAT conservative... it goes way passed Wisconsin and the Midwest. And saying or doing something that can be construde as stereotypically gay is NOT reason to be rude and obnoxious. You'll find that kind of unacceptable intolerance any where and for many different reasons, not only being gay and not only in Wisconsin.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:44 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,352 times
This is actually pretty insulting. A gay person should know better than anyone else that you can't judge an entire group (or state in this case) by the actions of just a few people.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:08 PM

55 posts, read 209,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
"rude, obnoxious, and downright judgmental"

Tell your sister's gay best friend that "it takes one to know one".

Your sister's gay best friend sounds like an ass. He's phobic and probably isn't even aware that he could do such a thing.

Let me guess, he doesn't like Christians either.

I was just up at Elkhart Lake recently and saw a bunch of ExxposeExxon bumper stickers, so it's not that conservative. People in WI elected Feingold, what does that tell your sister's gay friend also? They guy needs to look in the mirror and face his bigotry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin