U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 AM

48 posts, read 156,030 times

Advertisements

In case anyone is not aware, Heckels marina has filed for chapter 11 and the principal loan bank, M&I has requested and received an order for a reciver and chapter 7, liquidation.
For those of you tourists who did business with this marina....what goes round, comes round. Couldn't happen to nicer people.
As most of you tourists know, if you come to Eagle River, you can expect to be ripped.
I live here year round and its an even bet, before Memorial day, 4th of July, cranberry fest and deer hunting, gas prices are delibertly raised to soak the tourists. The local super markets do the same...we don't buy anything in Eagle River.
As a resident here, I'm thrilled, that tourism is down this year. Less of everything. The real estate agents are starving. Nothing is selling. Duh! When you have selling prices, that are twice the assessed evaluation...duh! Real estate agents soon to be working in fast foods service.
Well, anyway, just a thank you to the tourists. Thank you for not coming here.
As a note to the bankruptcy: They were into the M&I for 7.6mm, no wonder the banks stock is trading at 14.00 dollars a share.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 12:26 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,056,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxsts View Post
In case anyone is not aware, Heckels marina has filed for chapter 11 and the principal loan bank, M&I has requested and received an order for a reciver and chapter 7, liquidation.
For those of you tourists who did business with this marina....what goes round, comes round. Couldn't happen to nicer people.
As most of you tourists know, if you come to Eagle River, you can expect to be ripped.
I live here year round and its an even bet, before Memorial day, 4th of July, cranberry fest and deer hunting, gas prices are delibertly raised to soak the tourists. The local super markets do the same...we don't buy anything in Eagle River.
As a resident here, I'm thrilled, that tourism is down this year. Less of everything. The real estate agents are starving. Nothing is selling. Duh! When you have selling prices, that are twice the assessed evaluation...duh! Real estate agents soon to be working in fast foods service.
As a note to the bankruptcy: They were into the M&I for 7.6mm, no wonder the banks stock is trading at 14.00 dollars a share.

No tourists, no economy. Great news!!
Another local business in the tank. Oh happy day!
People out of work. How funny is that?!!
Families losing their houses. Hilarious!!!

At least you got your elbow room.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:14 PM

335 posts, read 1,137,212 times
When you base your economy on tourism and not real jobs you are doomed to fail and fail in a big way alot of parts of WI will do!

Anyone that touts tourism as an economic force for the populace is a fool. For the business owners it its great. FOr the employees, it's a minimum wage death sentence, of hard work and low pay, and no benefits and seasonal to boot.

You need to make things to be prosperous,not jsut cater to others needs. Tourism=servitude.

I am with fxsts. Glad to see em go, now bring on some producing jobs and quit trying to live on out of stater property taxes and we will have a real economy, not one based on looking at pretty lakes and eating cheesburgers.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:51 PM

335 posts, read 1,137,212 times
wow...no replies

Old 08-23-2008, 01:15 AM

38,704 posts, read 93,425,988 times
Congratulations! With any luck you'll become just like the western UP: Mississippi with snow and Canadian accents. Hope it works out for you.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,543,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxsts View Post
Or maybe the marina shouldn't have over extended themselves and taken out so much in loans? The economy is hurting everywhere. If the tourists don't have the money to spend themselves, how are they going to go on vacations?

Old 08-23-2008, 06:53 AM

38,704 posts, read 93,425,988 times
You missed the point. He doesn't want tourists to take vacations, at least not in his pristine little corner of the world. He thinks that way stuff at the stores and shops will be cheaper again. Provided the stores and shops are still around after the tourists stop coming around, that is.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
wow...no replies

Reply to what, a brick wall?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,842 times
Default Eagle River area

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
Reply to what, a brick wall?
I agree that they raise the prices in tourist areas. We come to your area alot fishing and we stop at local businesses. When you go to that area as much as we do you learn where to shop, stay, buy gas etc. We learned that the town of Eagle River is very expensive especially their grocery store. But you learn from traveling which places to stop and which ones to patronize. Don't get me wrong it is a beautiful area and we will not stop going there we just learn where to go. We stay in the Minoqua area and shop there also. Much more competitive and prices that people can afford to keep coming up for the weekends. I have to say greed is the American way but will not get you back the regular customers. I know this for fact because I live in a similar area. I live in Marinette County about half way between Crivitz and Iron Mountian Michigan and when a holiday or fishing season opener and now deer hunting comes our gas prices go up. I do not notice much change in groceries or things like that but it is the almighty dollar. If your going to enjoy our great state of wisconsin you will learn that certain times of the seasons things seem to go up in price to get the tourists and I am sure that is all over our United States not just here. With the economy we have traveled less matter of fact much less but when we can afford a weekend trip it is always up past the Eagle River area. Awfully good fishing and even if we don't catch a single fish we enjoy the area so very much. Think we complain about the fishing more than we do the prices. Seems all the walleyes are either being speared out or something but that is another subject. No matter what we love your area and most people are amazed that we go all that way fishing when we live a half mile from the Menomonie River which is some of the best bass fishing around. Every known area depends upon tourists and I know we sure do here. If it were not for some of the best snowmobile and atv trails some of our little towns up here would shrivel up and die really quick so sometimes you have to put up with the out of towners to survive. And when they go home it is a big sigh of piece and quiet. I know because normally we have one or two cars go by our house but during this last week of deer hunting it was like a freeway out here. So I understand both sides of your views. Have a great winter all. Ice fishing is coming up soon.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin49 View Post
I agree that they raise the prices in tourist areas. We come to your area alot fishing and we stop at local businesses. When you go to that area as much as we do you learn where to shop, stay, buy gas etc. We learned that the town of Eagle River is very expensive especially their grocery store. But you learn from traveling which places to stop and which ones to patronize. Don't get me wrong it is a beautiful area and we will not stop going there we just learn where to go. We stay in the Minoqua area and shop there also. Much more competitive and prices that people can afford to keep coming up for the weekends. I have to say greed is the American way but will not get you back the regular customers. I know this for fact because I live in a similar area. I live in Marinette County about half way between Crivitz and Iron Mountian Michigan and when a holiday or fishing season opener and now deer hunting comes our gas prices go up. I do not notice much change in groceries or things like that but it is the almighty dollar. If your going to enjoy our great state of wisconsin you will learn that certain times of the seasons things seem to go up in price to get the tourists and I am sure that is all over our United States not just here. With the economy we have traveled less matter of fact much less but when we can afford a weekend trip it is always up past the Eagle River area. Awfully good fishing and even if we don't catch a single fish we enjoy the area so very much. Think we complain about the fishing more than we do the prices. Seems all the walleyes are either being speared out or something but that is another subject. No matter what we love your area and most people are amazed that we go all that way fishing when we live a half mile from the Menomonie River which is some of the best bass fishing around. Every known area depends upon tourists and I know we sure do here. If it were not for some of the best snowmobile and atv trails some of our little towns up here would shrivel up and die really quick so sometimes you have to put up with the out of towners to survive. And when they go home it is a big sigh of piece and quiet. I know because normally we have one or two cars go by our house but during this last week of deer hunting it was like a freeway out here. So I understand both sides of your views. Have a great winter all. Ice fishing is coming up soon.

Good post fishin. I'm not a full timer their yet, but hope to be in '09.
In a lot of cases, it's not greed but a matter of survival (business wise) that makes the local proprietor's bump their prices in accordance with what is in season. If a town is overrun with tourists for an event, then yes, the cost of doing business goes up for a better profit. Busy summer weekends can help make ends meet in March for small businesses in areas like this. I doubt any grocers or gas station owners are getting rich. Just trying to keep the wheels turning. So I don't really have a problem with this seasonal "tourist price gouging". On the flip side, it does affect the full timers. But like you, you need to learn where and when the cheaper prices are, and shop accordingly. If it means planning a weekly drive down to Rhinelander or where ever to stock up, you do it.
Living in a remote, beautiful area like the northwoods can come with a price. Convenience is most certainly the first thing you give up. And if in this case, the area is a tourist destination (like it or not berries, it is the base of the economy), than dealing with the busy summer weekends is another thing. Not too big of a deal, if you ask me. In this economy, at least the people are still coming. And with any luck, more people will be like you fishin49. You don't come across as a "me first", "my boat is faster" kind of person. Wishing you many more happy northwoods weekends!

As for berries, I know we have traded a few jabs over the past year, I want you to know that I respect your opinions. I don't always agree, but I do respect them. Hope you have a great holiday season!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin