U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 11,604 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to Sturgeon Bay. I am going through a divorce, and have been looking on the Internet for homes to rent. Unfortunately, I have run into a brick wall. Every rental website that I have searched shows there are no houses for rent. I find that hard to believe, there has to be homes for rent there. Does anyone have any ideas as to where to begin looking? I am looking for a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath with a basement. I would like it to be in Sturgeon Bay, Algoma or surrounding areas. If anyone could help I would appreciate it very much. I would like to move within the next two months or so. Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 04:10 PM

656 posts, read 1,236,226 times
you could contact the local paper and have them mail you one. i moved from CA to Manitowoc sight unseen and i called the herald times reporter and they sent me a newspaper and i found a great little townhome that we stayed in for a few months until we bought our house. also you can contact a real estate agent or a rental management company. good luck to you!!! i will be moving to wi next summer and am really excited. i will definitely go up to sturgeon bay once i get settled.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,358,201 times
macalanmav -

Shannon is right, real estate agents or rental companies in those areas might be your best bet. Here are some links to get you started:

Yellow pages listing from Door County Chamber of Commerce: Visitor's Bureau Members - Door County, Wisconsin (http://www.doorcounty.com/web/membership.asp?stub=1 - broken link)

Business directory from Algoma Chamber of Commerce:
Algoma Chamber of Commerce (http://algoma.org/directory/index.shtml - broken link)

I am not a fan of Craigslist at all, but you could try there: craigslist: wisconsin classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Best of luck!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,497,691 times
Sturgeon Bay is an old shipbuilding town that has tried (with mixed results) to become a year 'round tourist destination, and is presently expierencing a mini-boom (nothing like the old days) in shipbuilding again.

If you are skilled in the trades, try Palmer Johnson or Bayboat (ie, Bay Shipbuilding).

Renting during the summer (June-Sept) in Door Co. can be a problem, as all of Chicago (seemingly) heads up there. Rest of the year, rent will be relatvely cheap.

In my opinion, skip the chamber of commerce stuff, as they are even less reliable than most of that ilk.

Local paper is The Door County Advocate. It's probably online.

FYI, county is named after "Death's Door", the passage between Green Bay and Lake Michigan that sank so many ships before they cut a canal through the peninsula in the late 19th century, which itself killed all the sturgeon spawning grounds.

Good luck.

Last edited by Geechie North; 08-25-2008 at 10:23 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 11,604 times
Default Thank you all!

I would like to thank all of you for your help. I have found a small duplex to rent. I am still looking for a job though. I have put applications and resumes in all over and have not gotten any word back yet, but cross your fingers. I have been in this town for about three weeks and I am loving every minute of it. I have never been so happy! Again thank you all for your support!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 AM

6 posts, read 16,514 times
I worked for a summer in Door County traveling the county for Door County Public Health testing the beach water for coliform. I've noticed that many of the local parks (county and state) and golf courses will hire temporary help during the 'tourist season.' I absolutely loved living there, but it does get pretty crowded come July and August. The best beach is in Whitefish Dunes State Park on the east side of the penninsula and if your in the area, make sure you try the Town Hall bakery in Jacksonport for some good food. If you're into biking and scenic activities try Washington Island and Rock Island. Sturgeon Bay is a nice town with a suprisingly acive nightlife and you should enjoy it there!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,503 times
I am looking to rent a home in sturgeon this June. I want a 3 bedroom anyone know of anything year round, that would help. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,496 times
Yellow pages listing from Door County Chamber of Commerce: Visitor's Bureau Members - Door County, Wisconsin or you can contact them directly via phone or email for additional information.
Door County Wisconsin - Vacation - Lodging - Attractions - Events - Guides - Info Door County Visitor Bureau
1015 Green Bay Rd - PO Box 406 Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235-0406
E-mail: info@doorcounty.com
Call: 1-800-527-3529 or (920) 743-4456
Fax920) 743-7873

Business directory from Algoma Chamber of Commerce:
Algoma Chamber of Commerce Algoma Chamber Of Commerce - Home
1226 Lake Street Algoma WI US 54201 phone 920.487.2041 fax 920-487-5519

Obtain a local newspaper: Door County Advocate (partnership with the Green Bay Press Gazette)
Phone: 920-743-3321 Door County Advocate | Door County news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Door County, Wisconsin | doorcountyadvocate.com
Door County Advocate | Door County news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Door County, Wisconsin | doorcountyadvocate.com You can also find the classifieds on line.

I am not a fan of Craigslist at all, but you could try there: craigslist: wisconsin classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Old 03-20-2012, 03:09 PM

34 posts, read 122,063 times
Default Year-round rentals in Sturgeon Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopadopilus View Post
I am looking to rent a home in sturgeon this June. I want a 3 bedroom anyone know of anything year round, that would help. Thanks.
Try contacting ERA Starr Realty in town. When we first moved up there, they showed us several rental houses; they also managed the rental house we ended up living in for two years (on the west side of Sturgeon Bay) before we moved south again.

Also, year-round rent should be MUCH cheaper than summer rentals. In 2007-2009, we paid $825/month for a lovely house with lawn and snow plowing services. HTH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin