Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 08:19 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davit View Post
As a native Wisconsonite I have learned to winter-cope via hibernation
\

Me too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 AM

534 posts, read 1,594,815 times
Maybe we are born tough in Wisconsin, but winters never bothered us. We always went out and did stuff. We were back home for Easter last year and went shopping all day in the 15 inches of snow that fell on Good Friday. Snow doesn't scare us. I guess we are just used to cold and snow. The malls didn't close until 6pm and restaurants were all open, we went out to dinner that night and then went bowling.

It bothers us here in Iowa because they don't plow at all, so travel isn't as good as it was when we lived in Wisconsin. I don't like feeling trapped in my own home. We have ventured out a few times in a snowstorm through unplowed streets and did fine, but if a lot of snow hits, we can't even get out of our street until about a week later after they finally get around to plowing our street. 15 inches of snow here would shut down the city and I'm not kidding. NOTHING would be open, believe me in the 5 years we've been here, it's happened well more then once. This is in Cedar Rapids not some small farm town. It's so ridiculous. I've never seen so many school closings and 2 hour delays in my life. They had 2 hour delays Monday because we a got a little ice on Saturday and of course no plows came out to salt. My question was, if they didn't do anything when they had 24 hours to salt, what are they going to get done in 2 hours? Nothing..the roads were the same on Tuesday as they were Sunday and Monday..If you don't like Wisconsin winters, you'll hate Iowa ones.

I guess hubby and I just have cold and snow in our blood.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 AM

86 posts, read 312,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateDaum View Post
Not here. We are in northern WI and people are outside all winter.
yep- I'll grant you, there are still pockets of WI, mostly rural, that embrace winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davit View Post
As a native Wisconsonite I have learned to winter-cope via hibernation
I've always preferred "wisconsiner". Just funnier somehow.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tully View Post
yep- I'll grant you, there are still pockets of WI, mostly rural, that embrace winter.

I've always preferred "wisconsiner". Just funnier somehow.
Der Wisconsiner, ja!

Old 01-07-2009, 12:32 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,759 times
We don't hibernate either. I love walking outside in the winter. We also snow shoe and these past 2 winters have been great for that.
We have a dog that loves the snow and we take her for long walks all winter.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 23,536 times
Talking omg hilarious!

Hi Yeah, This post is seriously classic!!!! LMAO. Born and raised in WI and this is all seriously true, LOLOLOLOLOL. Gotta love a person with raw authenticity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah! View Post
Wisconsin is extremely boring, ugly, depressing state with bad ever changing weather and boring, closed up people. Don't get me wrong most Wisconsinites are not bad natured, obnoxious or jerks but they are not very intellectual thus overall boring and not fun to be around. The whole state is obsessed with stupid football game and it seems like a pinnacle of their whole existence..and shopping, but if you ask for direction or something they will help no doubt.

Milwaukee area is all that plus crime. Generally speaking Milwaukee is a one big ghetto. Many say it's great and all but it's just because they live there and are biased or don't know any better. WI has a negative stigma for a reason. I mean common Brady street is fun and cool? You gotta be kidding me! It's a short narrow street with bunch of old, ugly, rustic businesses and non stop traffic. Sitting outside cafe, starring at traffic and inhaling car exhaust. You must have been blind or never get out to call that cool or fun. I feel sorry for these people

They just seems to put anything that comes to mind in the place without care about any style or architecture. The whole landscape is generally a one-two story high and going like this: Mc'D, Starbucks, Wal-Mart, Mall, Gas Station, Kohl's, Factory, Old Navy, Pick-n-Save, Bank, Mc'D, Starbucks, etc. Architecture is truly ugly and horrible in WI. Shopping seem to be primary form of entertainment there although there are no good stores like IKEA, Nordstrom and many others like in other states, only recently they put up very first Costco, Whole Foods and Trader's Joe. Pick-n-Save has a good monopoly on grocery business, driving others out

Main highlight of summer are numerous summer fests with loud, annoying, horrible rookie soft rock bands and bunch of bored, badly dressed fatties and obnoxious teens, who are also fat, walking around drinking watery beer and waiting for fireworks to begin. How fun!!! Not much in terms of refinement, culture divercity or sophistication. WI prides itself on beer and cheese, guess what? Both are tasteless. Roads are very bad due to weather and construction never stops. The whole state is one single speed trap, although most people are very bad, slow drivers, while real criminals running lose shooting people. In short it's a typical Midwest - very miserable, ugly, boring and depressing place to live. No matter how you sugarcoat it, it still sucks. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody, especially if you are young, outgoing and have some money.

P.S. The only positive thing about WI is not very bad parking situation.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:10 PM

48 posts, read 178,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3lon View Post
Hi Yeah, This post is seriously classic!!!! LMAO. Born and raised in WI and this is all seriously true, LOLOLOLOLOL. Gotta love a person with raw authenticity.
OMG I just read this and asked my wife if shopping was our top form of entertainment - she had a COW and tore me a new one. The truth burns - how do they say it in the south? "hotter'n a goats butt in a pepper patch"

Old 01-18-2009, 05:57 AM

6 posts, read 24,835 times
I'm not necessarily leaving Wisconsin, but the thought has crossed my mind. I moved here from out of state and have found that it is very hard to meet people. Everyone was born and raised here, so if you are coming in from the outside you are ignored. When I do get a chance to talk to people, they seemed stunned that I would move here. I don't mind the cold winters, but I think the state needs to accept the fact that winters wreak havoc on the roads, and they need to devote more money to fixing the roads in the summer.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:34 PM

90 posts, read 328,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouBetcha! View Post
I'm not necessarily leaving Wisconsin, but the thought has crossed my mind. I moved here from out of state and have found that it is very hard to meet people. Everyone was born and raised here, so if you are coming in from the outside you are ignored. When I do get a chance to talk to people, they seemed stunned that I would move here. I don't mind the cold winters, but I think the state needs to accept the fact that winters wreak havoc on the roads, and they need to devote more money to fixing the roads in the summer.
I had the same reaction from some people, and they even criticized the two places my wife and I were going to work. This should have been the first clue.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:48 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouBetcha! View Post
I've had that reaction too. People can't seem to believe that I would leave Southern California for Wisconsin.

But I haven't felt ignored. Actually, it's just the opposite. I feel that most of the people I've met here have been very welcoming. I work with a great group of people, and my neighbors are all very friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin