Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 03:05 AM

48 posts, read 178,020 times

Advertisements

OK here's my beef. Wisconsin is a beautiful state, with lots of trees, lakes parks, etc etc etc but the winter is so darn cold and cloudy, gosh darn it when we finally do get a beautifully sunny day in January it drops to friggin below zero and all I can do is enjoy it from the warm side of a window
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 07:40 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,969,949 times
my wife & I are just tired of hibernating each winter. Though both born and raised in WI, we do not enjoy any outdoor activities that revolve around snow/ice; in fact what we do enjoy are things associated with warmer weather. So while there are of course things we will miss in our state, we'll be heading to SC in a couple weeks. For us, it's basically a weather driven move. And with the opportunity we have in hand; it's time to try a change.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:04 AM

620 posts, read 1,832,804 times
Ranger: I agree ; it's just getting to be too much and if you don't do snow activities , well you just end up staying inside; I, too like warm-weather activities. I'm always researching other states for a potential move and last week I received some info on SC. What area are you moving to? Just wondering - good luck to you! (wish it were me).

Last edited by suecen; 01-25-2009 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-25-2009, 09:10 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,969,949 times
we're moving to Columbia area, close to Lake Murray. We were looking for some similarities to that we have in the Madison area, such as lake(s) close by, nice parks/zoo; reasonable cost of living, nice places to shop/eat, and in a location that one can take day trips by car to see some sights. And from our research it was the closest we could come overall to what "we" wanted. I wouldn't say it will be perfect; but after 25+ yrs in Madison area--this isn't perfect either. No one place truly is. One just needs to find a place that for them the pros far outnumber the cons. This website was really helpful in our research of other states, from NC tp SC to FL; i'd hate to see what it was like in "the old days" when a family would just pack up the car and head to a new destination without the knowledge available now.
thx

Old 01-25-2009, 10:22 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,855,617 times
Suecen, I have a brother & his family in Surfside Beach and Conway, SC. They absolutely love it, having now been there for nearly 16 years. My brother is an avid golfer so the move from ME to SC made sense for him.

Surfside is next to Myrtle Beach though, and is more congested because of it. There are plenty of employment opportunities in the area, although in this economy, it's tight there as it is everywhere.

Depending on the type of environment you are looking for, it might be an area to consider.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:40 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,558,451 times
If you guys are looking for a bit warmer climate and lots of natural beauty I'd check out the Tri-Cities of Tennessee or Knoxville. Low cost of living in TN, beautiful topography as we have here.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:25 PM

620 posts, read 1,832,804 times
Thanks Ranger and Back - I will look into those areas - always researching places and yes I agree this website is amazing - so informative - now I can't imagine being without it! Also, have either one of you any information on Greenville, SC? It looks like it's in a beautiful setting but I've never heard anybody mention it or know anyone who has lived there - any insight would be helpful. Josh - you probably know I'm always checking out the Tri-Cities site!! Good suggestion for people.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:42 PM

Sure is Sue! I think the Tri-Cities may be overlooked. Knoxville is nice as well.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:15 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,855,617 times
Josh, isn't the Summer humidity in TN really oppressive? I've always had that impression for some reason. Sure is a beautiful State though from all the photos that I've seen.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Josh, isn't the Summer humidity in TN really oppressive? I've always had that impression for some reason. Sure is a beautiful State though from all the photos that I've seen.
It can be humid. The western Portion towards Memphis is where you'll see most of the humidity. In the Cumberland Plateau area and Mountains you'll experience a break. The mountains see substantially cooler temps compared to lower elevations. Knoxville will be sticky,but not as bad as Memphis or Nashville. I guess to me the beauty outweighs the humidty. Plus I love studying geopgraphy/archaeology and other fields so the diversity of ecosystems in the Plateau and Smoky Mountains are second to none.

That and the Plateau is one of the largest amounts of sandstone east of the Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin