Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 06:57 AM

620 posts, read 1,837,839 times

Advertisements

That's interesting - I didn't know about that but then again, don't get in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 10:42 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
What IS with that wind??!!!!!!!! It's crazy.

The wind happens backwards. In the dead of winter when we don't want it, it seems almost endless. In the summer when we need it desperately to stay comfortable, it's rarely anywhere to be found.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:42 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,603,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
The wind happens backwards. In the dead of winter when we don't want it, it seems almost endless. In the summer when we need it desperately to stay comfortable, it's rarely anywhere to be found.

I said the same thing to my father the other day.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:52 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,869 times
Smile Reasons Wisconsin is not #1 on healthiest states list

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I read in a health ranking somewhere that Wisconsin was in one the top ten healthiest states. States in the south seen very poor ratings due to diets et cetera. I do realize that Wisconsin does consume alot of beer, maybe that's the reason it isn't #1?
I know Wisc. used to be the most overweight state in the nation, but I believe that was a long time ago. I think Mississippi has that rank now.

I think Wisconsin isn't number #1 in health because yes, Wisconsinites do consume a lot of beer, but they also consume a lot of bratwurst and Polish sausages, a lot of German and Polish meals and fish frys, and a lot of cheese and other dairy. But also it's just naturally true, I think, that climates with warm weather more of the year would be healthier because you can get out more and because a lot of healthy people tend to migrate to places like that.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. No scientific data.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessysunshine View Post
I know Wisc. used to be the most overweight state in the nation, but I believe that was a long time ago. I think Mississippi has that rank now.

I think Wisconsin isn't number #1 in health because yes, Wisconsinites do consume a lot of beer, but they also consume a lot of bratwurst and Polish sausages, a lot of German and Polish meals and fish frys, and a lot of cheese and other dairy. But also it's just naturally true, I think, that climates with warm weather more of the year would be healthier because you can get out more and because a lot of healthy people tend to migrate to places like that.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. No scientific data.
That and many of us upper Midwesterners hibernate 5 months out of the year. Only unlike actual hibernating animals, we wake up and eat. And when it's football season, all bets are off with regard to what we eat.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:35 AM

8,288 posts, read 23,096,556 times
Top 2 reason's to leave Wisconsin:

1. Weather
2. Taxes

Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,120,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Top 2 reason's to leave Wisconsin:

1. Weather
2. Taxes
Well, obviously you didn't go to Iowa.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:10 PM

620 posts, read 1,837,839 times
Yeah I'd say those are 2 important reasons - if you had better weather (AND MORE SUN) you might justify the taxes, but I think weather is really important especially as you age!! I can't believe how many people I know that have fled the state!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 PM

8,288 posts, read 23,096,556 times
My wife is a marathon runner who already had two surgeries and I have a bad shoulder so it's only a matter of time before we are south of the mason Dixon line

Old 05-29-2009, 08:16 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,754,932 times
Geez, that is a rather tough perspective. Sure, there are places in Wisconsin that are boring, crime ridden and have issues. Look ANYWHERE in the U.S. and you'll find that. And it is NOT unique to the Midwest either. Wanna find a place as you described and worse? try Michigan sometime. I may not live there, but I traveled Wisconsin extensively throughout the 90's until 2004. I covered 17 States from Ohio to the West Coast as a road salesman and I've seen it all. The people, the communities, the roads....you name it. While the winters can be legendary at times, you need to keep all things in perspective. it is like ANY cycle....it ends. You either embrace it or you curse it. You'll find it a lot more pleasant to embrace it for sure.

As for the negatives, ironically Wisconsin was my #1 State in sales of all of my territory, contrary to all of my counterparts. When I was in Wisconsin I was literally on a high of sorts. I enjoyed and embraced the people, the land in general and yes, at times even whatever weather was thrown at me. Fortunately most of the time the weather during my visits was quite nice. The lush rolling hills and fresh earthy smells of the fields empowered me and I'm sure my interraction with the people reflected my positive mood created by this wonderous land.

Sure, you can always look at the glass as half empty. I'm not saying by all means move to Milwaukee. Honestly if I were moving back I'd live in a more rural area as that is my preference. But there are so very many choices in Wisconsin. You can even rule out Milwaukee, Madison and Green Bay proper and still have literally "thousands" of decent choices of towns small cities and hamlets to reside. In general, I found folks in those areas to be very welcoming and friendly and easy to talk to. I am always shocked to hear of folks that report the tight, unfriendly folks they have met up with.

They are either living in the wrong communities or they are reflecting their OWN inclinations towards being closed up and unfriendly and unwilling to meet people different then themselves. It is basic human behavior. I complain often about the failings in the area I currently reside as it and the people living there have their own subset of issues, some serious. So there is no sense to single out Wisconsin as a place of ire. Believe me look just a little bit and you'll find something wrong with nearly every place you go. Keep an open mind and and open heart and in all liklihood good things will end up coming back to you in spades. And considering I am by NO means a Pollyanna type (I complain my fair share about many things) it is simply saying Wisconsin remains one of my favorite places on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin