Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 01:02 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Dorn on the West Side used to sell firearms way back, or so I've been told. They only do fishing/other outdoor gear now, if that. It's been awhile since I been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 01:23 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milt14 View Post
then if you have any questions about madison, ask me. i'll be down there with my relatives (madison, madison area, milwaukee and burbs, delevan, beloit, and a bunch of smaller towns around there) and between all of us, we should be able to answer most questions you would have. we're a pretty diverse group and i think the only non represented specie is asians. but i did live in asia for a year, so you an axe us redneck hicks anythings yous wants, entiende? lol.
I don't have any questions. But you should visit & enjoy the town, complaining about its politics is so juvenile.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:57 PM

432 posts, read 544,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
but can say I'm sure long guns could be bought in Madison (Gander's old location by east towne, pretty positive F&F sold them at least back in the day, Kmart as mentioned, etc) so that option could have existed.
yup. but since the late 70s iirc wisconsin has had a 48 hour waiting period when someone purchases a handgun from an ffl holder, a 'dealer'. It's exceedingly rare among suicides for someone to go and buy a long gun to immediately commit suicide. gun's too long and round's visually pretty big, so those are usually a deterrent to such an impulsive act.

was that pawn shop happy buy and sell? if so, i don't think they had an ffl, but don't know as i only went there once and was looking for an arctic sleeping bag.

didn't soglin and/or the city council pass some law stating businesses in madison?
that's why gander couldn't sell them and neither could rusk. rusk moved from their shack by the coliseum to a nice store by woodman's west, but still couldn't sell handguns as they were still in madison.

the people at gander told me they were moving outside of madison so they could sell pistols.
i think this is why a lot of madison people got mad at that gun store in sun prairie because he sold pistols, so a lot of the madison people went to his store and bought them. his shop is the second exit on 151, forgot what the name was. nice guy.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Dorn on the West Side used to sell firearms way back, or so I've been told. They only do fishing/other outdoor gear now, if that.
that's the way it's been going in most places. C&P plaza at monona and cottage grove just turned into one hardware store across the street--ace or true value--but they have a wonderful fishing/outdoor shop in the basement. doubt that lasted though because it was setup for sales rather than loss prevention....

if you ever get to montello wisconsin, stop by that hardware/convenience store there.
now that's a true country store.
you can stop there, fill up, go in and get some paint from the hardware store in the basement, then go upstairs and get a subway sandwich, some minnows, a shotgun/rifle and ammo, and some beer. Heck, i think that was the only commercial building in town....ok, it wasn't but don't see any reason for another one.......

good catfish fishing by the dam there.....

Old 06-04-2014, 06:12 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
I'm sure this is one of the reasons Cabelas chose Sun Prairie, that area is developing nice anyway but no way a major outdoor chain like that locates in an area with such restrictions in place. I will never understand such local differences.
When we first got down here blue laws were in effect in one county limiting Sunday sales of all but food until after 1pm. Next county it was normal. And that county line is on the hiway, so a WM on one side could not sell a hammer, and 2 blocks away across the hiway lowes and home depot sold everything all day.

Point being if someone wants to buy something they will, doesn't make sense not to take the benefits of that for the local economies. My .02

Old 06-04-2014, 06:16 PM

[quote=milt14;35097179)
if you ever get to montello wisconsin, stop by that hardware/convenience store there.
now that's a true country store.
you can stop there, fill up, go in and get some paint from the hardware store in the basement, then go upstairs and get a subway sandwich, some minnows, a shotgun/rifle and ammo, and some beer. Heck, i think that was the only commercial building in town....ok, it wasn't but don't see any reason for another one.......

good catfish fishing by the dam there.....[/QUOTE]

Lol, well versed with that location, thats my old stomping grounds.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
I'm sure this is one of the reasons Cabelas chose Sun Prairie, that area is developing nice anyway but no way a major outdoor chain like that locates in an area with such restrictions in place. I will never understand such local differences.
a cabelas in sp? wow, gander's megastore is built about 10 miles on the interstate away and it's comparable to cabelas. for the people down there, that competition should be excellent for quality and pricing. cabelas is a big draw as people out west can driver for three hours to get to one. in denver they'd drive to sidney nebraska, but then they got one in denver and basspro came in there too. gander never did anything there but stayed small.

your two cents is valid and it's all about control. people can use govt to control other people and businesses. it used to be one could escape that in madison by just moving outside of the city limits, but most politicians study this stuff and know how to use the laws...or are told how they can or the people that they hire do it. so the dane county board became the focus of power.
so who is more powerful, kathleen falk or paul soglin.....

Old 06-05-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt14 View Post
a cabelas in sp? wow, gander's megastore is built about 10 miles on the interstate away and it's comparable to cabelas. for the people down there, that competition should be excellent for quality and pricing. cabelas is a big draw as people out west can driver for three hours to get to one. in denver they'd drive to sidney nebraska, but then they got one in denver and basspro came in there too. gander never did anything there but stayed small.
Yeah we've only been in SC for 5 years, and I hit that Gander ever time we're back up for a visit (i like the store, plus i use the range there). I think it should allow for some nice competition, which is great for consumers. I think the Cabelas opens in '15, not totally sure on that though.
At least once we're back up there for good, i have options for my shopping needs (add in the large Bass Pro in Gurnee as well).

Old 06-05-2014, 08:23 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
Is Monona outside Madison's jurisdiction? Because that's "officially" where it was, to me that's just Madison but there may be different laws there. It happened exactly like I said above, and it wasn't in the newspaper, just as the manager had said would be the case. A very depressing ride back home after a fun day in Madison, I can tell you.

I used to go to a place on the edge of Wausau called "Guitars and Guns." And that's what they had. Two older gay dudes and guitars/amps/pedals as well as a gun counter. Weirdest "and Guns" shop I've ever seen (in the South there's pretty much every combination you can think of, but never guitars).

Old 06-05-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Is Monona outside Madison's jurisdiction? Because that's "officially" where it was,
yeah, monona is a town attached to madison, a city unto itself and they are just a very affluent enclave there.
the only commercial businesses there would be on monona drive or the old beltline before john nolen drive on the west or the dogleg on the east to stoughton road, where the huge menards is and just south of fleet farm.

i lived in monona across from the golf course west of monona drive and i went to lafollette high school (across monona drive) and later, to monona high school (on monona drive by the golf course), where i graduated. my mother, brother and sister are buried in the cemetery there.

i know of nothing there that fits the description of what you said, and the 48 hour wait was in effect for all of wisconsin since 1978. if he was a retail dealer as you stated, then he would have had to have an ffl (federal firearms license) so he would be subject to the 48 hr waiting period. if he violated the federal laws, he'd have his license revoked, fines and prison time.

monona is quite affluent as i said, with median income there of $212K.
they don't have any 'alleys' and if one person did what you said, it'd be front page in their media and madison's.
there would be no repeated/common occurrences of this as any store with that much negativity would have its retail license revoked by the city very quickly.

sorry, still don't believe you.

Last edited by milt14; 06-05-2014 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin