Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:50 AM

432 posts, read 544,543 times

Advertisements

i like wi and my wife, never having been here before, has said how much she loves it here. the people are nice and coming from the arid mountain west, she's always amazed at how alive it is here.
good dirt + lots of = abundant wildlife. our domestic animals love it here too.
come to think of it, my wife is outside now catching mayflies for one of our pets.
turkey vultures nest across the street.
a pair of wrens next in a house by our shed.
amphibs come up from the river over a period of days, we can hear them approaching.
we can catch hundreds of fish at a time when they're running.
at night, we don't hear anything but the wildlife around us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben242000 View Post
Absolutely hate it. I got out and made it to Albuquerque, New Mexico, which
is basically a crossroads of two interstates on the moon. el paso is worse though and the only place in this country where i've been in a vehicle that got sandblasted....as i was driving down the road.
northern nm is nice, but a lot of that is rich californios having their second home, doing the artsy fartsy thing. angle fire has been a fav of mine for a long time, but not very 'metropolitan'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:09 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
I don't like it except for the Madison Area, I love Madison. I am from Laramie, WY originally and have lived in the La Crosse area for 12 years. Thank god I am moving to Alabama this fall.

It's hard to make friends. The majority of people here have had the same social groups since the day there were born and getting in as an outsider is tough. People live their whole lives here, and it really isn't very nice. I don't think people have heard of moving. I hate being around people with such a narrow world view.

I cannot stand the humidity, it makes the winters unbearable and the summers despicable. Not to mention after living here for 12 years and being bilingual I cannot understand some people's wisconsin accents.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:48 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,862,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Thank god I am moving to Alabama this fall.

It's hard to make friends. The majority of people here have had the same social groups since the day there were born and getting in as an outsider is tough. People live their whole lives here, and it really isn't very nice. I don't think people have heard of moving. I hate being around people with such a narrow world view.

I cannot stand the humidity, it makes the winters unbearable and the summers despicable. Not to mention after living here for 12 years and being bilingual I cannot understand some people's wisconsin accents.
Wow.
You're just going to love Alabama considering your complaints about Wisconsin's humidity, hard to understand accents, and narrow world view.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
^^ agreed w/ everwinter's post.

Summer in Wi is nothing like summer in the south (granted the same can be said for when southerners say how bad their winters are lol). Wi can and does get hot and humid "days", not the same as hot and humid "months". So winters here are like fall in the north, but summers are long and hot. Near half of May we've already been above 90.
I've been down here 5 years now, and have been able to pick up and understand a decent amount of the accent, though when listening to one who has ties going back generations, their accents are very thick. Actually locals tend to think I have the accent and need to speak slower at times.....
And yes living in the bible belt can have those with a very strong and narrow view of things, but to be honest i've seen that happen back home as well. If someone is set in their ways, they are not going to change.

Every state has its positives and negatives. We never had issues with the people of WI, spent all but the past 5 years there. Just hated winters so migrated south. But the pull of family is strong, and with a grandbaby now back home we'll find ourselves moving back up there soon enough. Worst case when the snow comes, i'll just pay a kid in the hood to shovel my drive for me.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:41 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Every state has its positives and negatives. We never had issues with the people of WI, spent all but the past 5 years there. Just hated winters so migrated south. But the pull of family is strong, and with a grandbaby now back home we'll find ourselves moving back up there soon enough. Worst case when the snow comes, i'll just pay a kid in the hood to shovel my drive for me.

Nothin' wrong with giving a job and some pay to a good kid who wants to work.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:53 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
I spent the last four days in Wisconsin and I get said every time I leave. I ate a months worth of curds in that period. Sign. Just so pretty. I never tire of driving the state.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I love Madison...I hate being around people with such a narrow world view.
sort of hard to reconcile those two sentences, but i think it translates into people being politically like you.

i've always thought laramie was a cute town, but that's all, just a lil town in the plains of wyoming. the whole of wyoming is too high and dry for me.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Alabama...narrow world view.
wow, that's an arrogant and ignorant thing to say. don't tell me, you are from, or you live in, or you like madison or the university east side of milwaukee?

Old 05-29-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
And yes living in the bible belt can have those with a very strong and narrow view of things
i'm always amazed how 'narrow' and 'non diverse' only is attributed to the right side of the political/social spectrum.

i was at a house party on willy street (hippie area in madison) and one guy was wearing a suit. man, talk about the snide comments and insults that casually flew. i guess those hippies were just rigidly conservative in their progressive liberal lifestyle and beliefs. thinking back, i should have gone over and talked to himo to see if he was poking fun of the leftist progressives there or that was just who he was.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I spent the last four days in Wisconsin and I get said every time I leave. I ate a months worth of curds in that period. Sign. Just so pretty. I never tire of driving the state.
you forgot, "load up on spotted cow".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin