Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:19 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times

Advertisements

With both Chicago teams and the Milwaukee Brewers all in the playoffs in the same year for the first time ever (heck, with the White Sox and Cubs both in the playoffs at the same time for the first time in 102 years), it has to be pretty exciting for fans in both Chicago and Milwaukee, but even more so near the Illinois/Wisconsin border, in places like Waukegan and Kenosha, or Rockford, Beloit, and Janesville. As someone not from near Chicago or Milwaukee, I'm curious though - what kind of fan breakdown among the Cubs, White Sox, and Brewers exists in the Illinois/Wisconsin border cities and towns? I know the White Sox probably don't have too many fans north of Chicago, but what percentage of fans there are Sox fans? Is the Brewers/Cubs breakdown solely based on which state one is located, or are places like Beloit and Kenosha in particular more evenly split? Are there a decent number of Brewers fans located on the south side of the state line (and are native to far northern Illinois) or are far northern Illinois natives almost entirely Cubs or White Sox fans? I'm curious.

Regardless who northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin fans root for, enjoy the playoffs! Hopefully my Phillies can complete a Lake Michigan trifecta en route to a World Series title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,863,296 times
Granted I've only lived in Kenosha for 2 months, but it seems like most the Wisconsin residents root for the Brewers & the Illannoy folks who work or moved here, strictly pull for the Cubs. I don't see much of the confused contrary here (Wisconsin folks pulling for the Cubs).

I do see plenty of confused Illinois folks who pull for the Packers though. (Come on, are the Bears really that bad?)

It seems different in the rest of the state, where there is Wisconsin residents who are blind & pull for the Cubs.

I'm guessing Kenosha is something like 3:1 Brewers:Cubs fans.

I hardly ever see a White Sox fan.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
the Illannoy folks
Blow.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:41 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
Almost all Wisconsinites are Brewers/Packers fans. Even close to the border.

Some IL transplants bring their Cubs memorabelia with them, but they tend to get dirty looks.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:08 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I've run into life long Two Rivers folks that are major Cubs fans. They wear Cubs stuff, no big deal. Generally when I say I moved from Ill. everyone assumes I'm a Cub fan! Not really, only because I don't care about baseball that much.

My sister and brother-in-law have lived in Iowa for 47 years and they are major Cub fans, as are alot of their neighbors/friends. Of course, you'll find alot of St. Louis Cards fans in Iowa, too. Cubs have fans, basically all over the world, for whatever reason, I found that out in Iceland and Greenland.

I love football and basketball, and I watch alot of teams. I will not sit and watch a baseball game on TV. I've been to Wrigley field many times and don't care if I ever go again.

Last edited by susancruzs; 10-07-2008 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: paragraph

Old 10-08-2008, 05:40 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,884 times
I grew up in Chicago. Was always a Packer and a Cub fan. Moved to WI and I am still a Packer/Cub fan. Hubby has always been a Bears/White Sox fan. I wear my Cubs shirt and never had a problem. Our neighbor has a huge Cub flag flying.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:19 PM

387 posts, read 1,332,024 times
I lived in Iowa,Missouri and for a time in Illinois. Now I live in WI. Always loved the Cubs. I think I got hooked during the 69 run. I am use to them choking so it doesn't bother me.
We went to a few Brewers games this summer. It was a lot of fun. Good family atmosphere.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
My sister and brother-in-law have lived in Iowa for 47 years and they are major Cub fans, as are alot of their neighbors/friends. Of course, you'll find alot of St. Louis Cards fans in Iowa, too. Cubs have fans, basically all over the world, for whatever reason, I found that out in Iceland and Greenland.
Cub fandom is an unusually widespread phenomenon partially because of the Chicago diaspora and partially because because WGN has been carrying Cubs games on their nationwide cable station for 25+ years. But the main source of Iowa's unusually strong Cub loyalty is the Cubs' AAA team (aka The Iowa Cubs) based in Des Moines. My guess is that Cards fans in Iowa are 1) heavily outnumbered by Cubs fans, and 2) concentrated mostly along the IA/MO border.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:37 PM

767 posts, read 2,066,422 times
There are lots of Cubs fans north of the IL-WI line, but few Brewers fans south of that line. A big part of this though goes back to the days when the Milwaukee Brewers was an AL club in a town with leftover NL fans from the days of the Milwaukee Braves. Once the Braves went to Atlanta, the Cubs pretty much had a lock on most of Wisconsin. Then the Brewers came in as an AL team, which failed to excite alot of people so they remained prety much Cubs fans. Obviously WGN coverage of the Cubs also faciltated the national fan base. The Brewers are now NL and that may change the dynamics of things, I don't know. But the Cubs have a truly national following with a very stron foillowing throughout the midwest. The Brewers generally do not. For example, when I lived in Green Bay in the late 80s, I would say that the Cubs-brewers fan breakdown was pretty much 50-50. Maybe that now favors the Brewers more. No offense, but Sox fans outside of Chicagoland and NW Indiana seem few and far between.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:28 PM

395 posts, read 1,861,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
For example, when I lived in Green Bay in the late 80s, I would say that the Cubs-brewers fan breakdown was pretty much 50-50.
Now that the Brewers are a successful team, the dynamic has changed. You used to see a lot of Cubs "fans" outstate and Twins "fans" up in Northern Wisconsin, nearer to the Twin Cities. With the Brewers winning a lot of games the last few years, and actually making the playoffs last year, you're seeing outstate Wisconsin baseball fans suddenly realize that there is indeed a major league team in Wisconsin.

If the Brewers do ever go all the way and return to the World Series, or win their first World Series, you'll see the whole state of Wisconsin embrace the Brew Crew as if they were fans all along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin