U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2008, 08:31 AM
LML LML started this thread

7,112 posts, read 8,651,502 times

Advertisements

We want Wisconsin to show the nation how seriously we take our responsiblitiy as citizens here in our state. So everyone, be sure to register and vote in this important election.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 12:57 PM

746 posts, read 2,062,881 times
If you've already voted here in previous elections than you don't need to register, right??

Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,643,118 times
I'm not sure geekduo. I just turned 18 two years ago and register here in my city and don't think it's an annual thing. Just a one time thing unless you move to another district.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:39 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,800,843 times
Excerpted from a recent article in The Wisconsin State Journal in Madison: the author is Mark Pitsch and it appeared in the Journal on 9/27/08. Full text may be found at WISCONSIN STATE JOURNAL

Go to vpa.wi.gov to look up the status of your voter registration. You enter your name and birth date, and you will see whether you are active or inactive. "Active" means the new statewide voter database has up-to-date information about you, and you don't need to bring anything to the polls. "Inactive" means your name won't appear on the poll list, and you should call your municipal clerk. You may have to register at the polls, which requires showing proof of residence. NOTE: the website data is imperfect, some voters' names produce multiple records, usually because they have moved and their registration records have not yet been merged. Make sure you are registered in the locality where you vote, and, again, it won't hurt to call your local clerk.

If you have received a letter from the Government Accountability Board telling you it needs your date of birth, respond by mailing the completed form to the board. … Officials say that recipients of this letter should not worry that the letter is a scam. It should have a detachable form at the bottom of the letter and will come with a preprinted envelope addressed to the accountability board.

On Election Day, be prepared for long lines at the polls. Bring an official (i.e. state-issued) form of ID such as a driver's license, and a proof of residence such as a utility bill or a copy of a lease if your ID doesn't show your current address. Do this even if you are already registered at your current address!

If you anticipate difficulty getting enough time to vote on November 4, you can vote absentee starting on October 6. Absentee voting can be done in person at your clerk's office or by mail. You must request an absentee ballot in writing.

Provisional ballots: If you are a first-time voter who registered by mail, didn't show proof of residency at the time and you don't take proof of residency to the polls, you would be required to use a provisional ballot. If the state database does not have your driver's license or state ID number on file and if you can't provide it when you go to vote, you would be required to use a provisional ballot. If you cast a provisional ballot, you MUST either return to the polls with correct identification by 8:00 p.m. on Election Day, OR take the correct identification to the municipal clerk's office by 4:00 p.m. on the day after the election, in order for your vote to count.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,564,156 times
We've been here approx 2 1/2 years but just registered to vote in WI a couple of weeks ago. I don't believe in voting in local elections when you don't know the people involved, and in our case, won't be here long enough for those voting decisions to make an impact. However, the Presidential election is a different story and we knew we must participate this time.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:16 PM

13,252 posts, read 13,173,229 times
Thanks for the info, site works great. I registered as soon as I got here because I wanted to vote in the primary and upcoming local elections.

I feel all elections are important and by going to meetings, the library, reading the paper, talking to people, I've voted locally, too. I can't sit back, do nothing and then wonder why nothing changes.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:43 PM

537 posts, read 1,850,906 times
My parents always stressed the importance of voting in all elections. So I always have. Even in our little town elections, I read up on the people running and vote. Sometimes it comes down to a few votes and we can make the difference.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:16 PM

375 posts, read 1,263,837 times
I was raised the same way. Must be because we are almost the same age. My parents told us voting was our privilege and I have voted in every election, no matter how small. We moved around a lot and I have always registered shortly after we move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin