U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:21 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,049,141 times

Advertisements

Anyone take a kid out on youth hunt this weekend and any luck?
My son took his first deer,first day at 6 pm a nice doe about 120 pounds. Look on his face was priceless and I think I was more excited than him.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 07:23 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,258,336 times
Glad you and your son had an awesome time. I don't hunt, but I'm sure someone here might chime in. 120 pounds eh? Thats a good size doe!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:23 AM

Not bad as average size. Not hear alot of shooting but when registered was alot of fawns brought in I guess but friend said his son shot a nice 10 pointer. Problem is so warm deer not move. This Thursday starts T zone also doe only hunt so sure be more population reduction. Would show pics but graphic and not good taste for some here as see bullet hole.
The excitement of it all and to get a deer first time out! Took me 11 years of holding a gun and 4 without to bag my first deer. He had to rub that in but has good hunter spirit. He shot the deer felt sorry for it and as I told him must open heart from sack ( old indian tradition) to let deers soul go on and say Thanks for giving it's life to him and he did all that. He also said next year and year after when his 2 younger brothers get to go also that since he shot his first one even if the monster buck came out he would let them shoot first.
12 years old and already was in helping skin and cut up also so shows me he will be a true hunter not just one that shoots for a rack and not care at all.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,258,336 times
Dreamhunter,

Glad your boy is learning the traditions that so many families forget to pass down these days. Your boy sounds like he will be able to continue the tradition.

Speaking of hunting we've had some rif-raf of feral pigs lately. DNR wants them shot on spot.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:51 AM

I would love to go after them wild hogs. Good eating and yes they destroy so much in woods,crops and even in homeowner yards and such.

Tradition up north here is big. I have brought out neighbor kids that parents do not hunt that want to. Everyone has to do hunters safety which I like that fact and with me 1 screw up and I will yell at you, if do another you are done hunting with me as safety is biggest concern. Reason I like kids coming out a few years before can carry a gun as get to know woods,where people stand ,drivers how should be when with someone handling a gun and what to do if shots are fired in area.
Also hunt with me better appreciate the animal,not waste and we do not trophy hunt though nice want to hunt with me better be a meat hunter not a antler on wall only wannabe hunter.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:40 PM

2,419 posts, read 3,249,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Not bad as average size. Not hear alot of shooting but when registered was alot of fawns brought in
you mean it's ok to shoot fawns? the babies? sup wit dat?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:07 AM

My son shot a average size doe not a fawn. Registration station said alot brought in were fawns. I do not shoot small ones unless a mercy killing like had to one year that had been hit by a car and had broken leg. Tagged and used so as not to suffer.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:25 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,798,869 times
Didn't take him hunting (he's only nine) but took him to the range for the first time. He managed to hit the 100yd target with a .22. He's itching to get out with Grandpa and Dad but we want him to handle the gun a lot better and really understand all the safety aspects first.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:55 PM

100 yards with .22 he is going to be a dead eye if keeps it up. tet tea never know may have a olympic shooter on your hands there.

Hunter safety classes in a few years. My kids all have BB guns and bought a 22 for target shooting. My son seems small and .243 not much kick but he learned to hold in shoulder tight after scope hit him in forehead. When I was growing up did not do football and such as rather be in woods hunting or at least scouting.Teaching kids same as being out there is calming. Some day I know my shoulder will not allow the hunt anymore but if the kids learn to hunt and safely I like it and they have choice to do it or not. Then this old man be out just with camera doing his shooting.

Some states kids can hunt way younger with guns but to me 12 is soon enough. I started just tagging along,observing and learning the hunt and woods and respect to the game that comes with a true hunter.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:34 AM

2,103 posts, read 3,092,185 times
Badger:
Yup it is good to shoot the little guys. At least 1/2 grow to be breeding does and the herd is too big. Deer are very prolific and can start breeding within 9 -18 months of birth. Usually they have twins and sometimes triplets.

Young ones taste good too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin