Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 02:01 PM

365 posts, read 779,806 times

Advertisements

The Navy is going to be pumping 5 billion dollars into Marinette Marine for the building of 10 more ships. Marinette Marine is expecting to hire 1,000 more people -- not to mention support jobs with other area companies this will create. This is a huge shot in the arm for their economy along with the rest of Northeastern Wisconsin and the U.P. of Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 06:46 PM

5 posts, read 15,290 times
That's all well and good about the shipyard but it's GETTING people to move here that's the problem. No educated, young family is going to want to move to the Marinette/Menominee area because it's a cultural wasteland. It does have one or two okay places but in the long run it's pretty miserable living here....especially in the winter. We just moved to the Menominee area last year from the east coast and it's been a challenge getting used to the area. I have made wonderful friends but my kids have struggled with making friends and I've had to pull my youngest out of public school and place him in a smaller private school because the public schools here are so underfunded and the staff is underpaid. The barely have a staff to watch the kids on the playground let alone teach them. The schools are just sad. They pump all their funding into the athletic program and let their other programs decay and fall apart. They might have a championship football team but their kids are struggling to make decent grades. They don't even have enough funding to furnish a nurse or a guidance counselor for the school here. Very sad and frustrating. If I were to do it over again I would purchase a house either closer to GB or in the Peshtigo school district. We had to move here for work. That is the ONLY reason why I would move here. Plenty of work but the area is VERY LACKING. Tread carefully.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:06 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecat78 View Post
That's all well and good about the shipyard but it's GETTING people to move here that's the problem. No educated, young family is going to want to move to the Marinette/Menominee area because it's a cultural wasteland. It does have one or two okay places but in the long run it's pretty miserable living here....especially in the winter. We just moved to the Menominee area last year from the east coast and it's been a challenge getting used to the area. I have made wonderful friends but my kids have struggled with making friends and I've had to pull my youngest out of public school and place him in a smaller private school because the public schools here are so underfunded and the staff is underpaid. The barely have a staff to watch the kids on the playground let alone teach them. The schools are just sad. They pump all their funding into the athletic program and let their other programs decay and fall apart. They might have a championship football team but their kids are struggling to make decent grades. They don't even have enough funding to furnish a nurse or a guidance counselor for the school here. Very sad and frustrating. If I were to do it over again I would purchase a house either closer to GB or in the Peshtigo school district. We had to move here for work. That is the ONLY reason why I would move here. Plenty of work but the area is VERY LACKING. Tread carefully.
It is unfortunate to hear how that area is doing. Unfortunately, the entire northern region is a fairly closed off socially and culturally and just does not receive many newcomers from further away. To compound problems, the area continues to lose a lot of people to larger cities and metros and large numbers of younger people. The population demographics of all the rural northern counties are very retiree/elderly dominated now with few exceptions. If you prefer to stay in the northern Wisconsin I would examine some opportunities in the Green Bay and Appleton region or maybe Wausau. Both places have a bit more economic diversity and a better variety of positions to choose from.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 5,116 times
I moved to back to Marinette after 15 years of living in larger university communities. Yes, it took a while to adjust, but eventually I made new friends and found a fulfilling job. There are libraries, a university-community theater group, concerts, an annual Milwaukee Symphony appearance, a charity ball, reading groups and opportunities for continuing education. Housing costs are reasonable, medical care is accessible, grocery stores are varied, and in summer there are three farm markets and a variety of farm stands. Shopping is lacking, but recently, more boutiques have opened. There is always the Internet, trips to Green Bay or Appleton and further afield. Give it time; open yourself up to new experiences. If you like outdoor activities, we have sailing, sailboat racing, iceboat racing, golf, tennis, skiing, cross country skiing and very active youth athletic groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin