Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:42 PM

51 posts, read 153,274 times

Advertisements

This is a random post but I, as you can tell from the handle, live in the Oklahoma Panhandle but I had an Uncle who lived in Minocqua, WI...way up there over by Rhinelander and I will never forget how beautiful the lakes and trees were. Out here in the panhandle we have no trees and no lakes to speak of, maybe a dry riverbed here and there and a creek or two but nothing like I remember of the northwoods.

Sometimes its hard to see the beauty in your state but it is really beautiful up there, wouldn't mind going back to visit! Plus yall have hilarious accents . Just wondering if anyone else has any memories of Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 08:02 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanhandleOkie View Post
This is a random post but I, as you can tell from the handle, live in the Oklahoma Panhandle but I had an Uncle who lived in Minocqua, WI...way up there over by Rhinelander and I will never forget how beautiful the lakes and trees were. Out here in the panhandle we have no trees and no lakes to speak of, maybe a dry riverbed here and there and a creek or two but nothing like I remember of the northwoods.

Sometimes its hard to see the beauty in your state but it is really beautiful up there, wouldn't mind going back to visit! Plus yall have hilarious accents . Just wondering if anyone else has any memories of Wisconsin.

Hilarious accents? Come on.lol I go to Minocqua Every August-September and I'll admit it sure is beautiful. I'm a native of Wisconsin currently in Bristol, VA for a couple of days. Woot woot!

I have tons of memories of up north.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:23 AM

387 posts, read 1,331,774 times
The northwoods is gorgeous. That is why we came here. The lakes, the pine trees... nothing beats it. We love all the family activities to do year round.
I love the accents. Such a mix of different ancestory.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:59 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times
Quote:

Ha yeah and you dust bowlers have some hilarious oakie history. When I lived in CA the ones that migrated there made the term "oakie" apply to a certain type of person...lol.

There are some of us who don't have the wisconsinite tell tale accent. If you have been other places, and or listen to others speech patterns, you can train yourself to sound somewhat neutral.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:55 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,776 times
WE have accents? I know when moved to South Carolina for a bit everyone asked what part of Canada I was from.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:12 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
Don't worry dreamhunter, I'm getting the same response down here in Bristol lately.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:17 PM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Quote:

Yes, I have very pleasant memories of beautiful Wisconsin. Been there twice and loved it. Its one of the few places that I would seriously consider moving to permanantly, if I dont stay here in Calif the rest of my life. Madison was fun, but Id probably choose someplace like Albany or Evansville if I were to live out there.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:50 PM

534 posts, read 1,594,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
WE have accents? I know when moved to South Carolina for a bit everyone asked what part of Canada I was from.
Ha! When we moved to Iowa(we need a barfing smiley), a few guys that work for my husband thought we were from Canada too!

When at the doctor for hubby, the nurse said we had to be from Wisconsin because of our accents. You don't know you have one until you are gone. I listen to a Milwaukee radio station online and when listeners call in, you can totally here it. I told hubby we need to move back before I lose mine.

Fond memories. I have 36 years of Wisconsin memories(that's how old I was when we moved away..stupid move). From going to a cabin up in Hayward for years growing up. Had so much fun. All the family things we did too. A ton of great times!

We are coming home to visit for 5 days this coming Saturday, so EXCITED! We can't wait to hit our favorite restaurants. Hoping to hit the Fox Valley area to visit friends(we are from suburbs of Milwaukee). I hope the 5 days go very slow..Always hate coming back. Hopefully we will be back for good come September/October!

Old 10-27-2008, 05:51 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
When I went to Illinois for a visit in Sept., someone said you sound different. I said something they thought sounded very Wisconsin. I think they were just giving me a bad time.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:38 PM

324 posts, read 1,528,131 times
Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
I know when moved to South Carolina for a bit everyone asked what part of Canada I was from.
HAHAHAHAHAHA....I moved to Tampa (from Milwaukee) & I would get asked the same (the what part of canada) quite a bit....never get asked anymore based on accent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin