Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:35 AM

3 posts, read 5,596 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about driving from North Carolina to Wisconsin around December 22 and staying til January 2. I was wondering how bad road conditions could be and what I should be expecting weather wise going up I-90/US-51. Is this drive recommendable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,459 times
Just make sure to give yourself plenty of time in case of bad roads. If the roads are snow and/or ice covered, make sure to slow down and give extra space to the car in front of you. If you start to slide, DO NOT SLAM ON THE BRAKES! Tap the brakes and steer out of it. Vehicles that have front wheel drive and ABS brakes are best on winter roads.

You also need to make sure you have a snow brush/ice scraper, a cell phone and a winter kit in your car. A winter kit should include boots, a small shovel, a blanket, some water, a few granola bars, and a first aid kit. These are things you will need in the event you would get stuck in a ditch or have an accident.

The road crews are usually pretty good at keeping the roads clear. It takes a huge amount of snow before they close down any roads up here. Last year was the first time that happened in a number of years. If you do find yourself following a snow plow, make sure to stay well behind the cloud of snow behind it so that you aren't blinded by it.

Winter driving is not bad as long as you take your time and use some common sense. We don't let a little snow keep us home up here. Come and enjoy the scenery and make sure to go sledding while your here!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:21 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
Just follow the above directions and should do ok. Make sure not to push self either if get tired pull over and rest. Mountains by you will be far worse than roads up here. Depending on where in North Carolina you are you are probably used to driving on snow. Daytime driving is always better also as when dark comes any moisture left on roads can turn to black ice. I always followed a semi as those drivers know the roads and conditions good and will adjust speeds accordingly.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 5,596 times
thanks fellas.. and yea, I live out here in the mountains of NC and I go skiing quite often, so I'm pretty comfortable as far as driving in the snow. I'll probably do some sledding/skiing as well when I get there. I was thinking of just keeping my driving to daytime and crash at rest stops during the night. By the way, I drive a Wrangler, but I begin thinking and another question popped up. Should I pack the chains for the tires?

Old 12-02-2008, 11:21 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,459 times
Not sure about what mountains you might need them for on the way up, but you won't need them once you get up to Illinois and Wisconsin.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:45 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post
Not sure about what mountains you might need them for on the way up, but you won't need them once you get up to Illinois and Wisconsin.

I think he meant he lives in the mountains of NC.

I was just down in NC for the first snowfall! It was beautiful! If you can drive on those curvy mountain roads with snow, then you can drive here.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:36 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
No need for chains here. More flat land than hills. I drove to Myrtle Beach S.C. a few times and if stopping overnight be 2 day trip only. Have fun just hope have snow by then.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:08 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
If you're going out of the Asheville area, and you have good winter conditions, you can make it in about 25 hrs of road time. (2 days is best).

Suggest you go through Cincinnati (v Louisville), and go through Indy to Bloomington, Il. Take 39 through Rockford and Madison.

Listen to the weather like it was your favorite CD.

Watch the stretch of 39 in Waushara Co. (Wi). For some reason they don't keep it in good shape.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:15 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Wow, 25 hours? I made it from Bristol, VA to Portage, WI in 14 hours. And that's taking some blue roads instead of Interstates. My weather conditions were ideal though. I guess I'm just disciplined when it comes to driving and stopping with the bare minimum.

25 hours seems like alot. I would think that SC to WI can be done in a day.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Depends on what part of SC and what part of Wi.

Bristol, Va is around (guess) 37 N.

I started out around 33 N.

And rode with 2 kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin