Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:53 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,575,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Gold dust, that part of the world is nothing short of jaw dropping majestic. I think if one has been to or spent
any time in the PNW, one would see the futility of making this argument about saying Wisc is 'better'.
Lets say theres room for everyone in both states, they both have good qualities that make them 'home' to many, and they both have negatives that make them undesirable to others.
Some will never think of anything more wonderful then Wisconsin and will defend it to the end. Can we agree they are different and both wonderful in there own ways?
Agreed Furthermore, I was merely adding my own perspective to your posting not dissing WI, but people still had to jump in and get defensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 08:11 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,046,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Look I don't care to "internet argue" any further on anything so goofy. If my point was too "broad" for you then let me simplify it. How about Yosemite, Napa, SF, Reno, Big Sur, Kings Canyon, Central Coast, LA, San Diego, Mexico, Seattle, not to mention the potential for cheaper flights and gas for everything I mentioned...enough said
Milwaukee is closer to NYC than Portland is to LA. And WI is about the same distance to Mexico as Oregon is. That's not being defensive about Wisconsin, just being honest. You can't say Oregon is great because of its proximity to things that are 500-1500 miles away. People out West have a very different perspective on what "close" actually means.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Milwaukee is closer to NYC than Portland is to LA. And WI is about the same distance to Mexico as Oregon is. That's not being defensive about Wisconsin, just being honest. You can't say Oregon is great because of its proximity to things that are 500-1500 miles away. People out West have a very different perspective on what "close" actually means.
Well, when i stated that many other breathtaking sights were close to Oregon you felt the need to jump in and get defensive and asked "like what?" You're making it sound like my original point was that Alaska is close to Oregon. I think if we were to take an unbiased poll the results would speak for themselves. Yep post that one on the US forum and see how many think Oregon is more majestic than WI if you need more proof...I dare ya...enough said.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:36 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,046,815 times
Quote:
Well, when i stated that many other breathtaking sights were close to Oregon you felt the need to jump in and get defensive and asked "like what?" Your making it sound like my original point was that Alaska is close to Oregon. I think if we were to take an unbiased poll the results would speak for themselves.
Because you said:
Quote:
"Not to mention that Oregon is so close to SO many other spectacular sights!
The Pacific Northwest has some beautiful areas, and some not so beautiful areas just like Wisconsin. The eastern 2/3 of the state of Oregon is a high desert climate similar to Nevada, Utah, or Colorado, not so beautiful IMHO. You and nanannie are making it sound as though the whole state is like the rainforests near the coast. Wisconsin has more acres of forests and more square miles of water than Washington or Oregon.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 PM

4,720 posts, read 15,562,080 times
No, I absolutely agree with you jj. Oregon certainly has its arm pits.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Because you said:
The Pacific Northwest has some beautiful areas, and some not so beautiful areas just like Wisconsin. The eastern 2/3 of the state of Oregon is a high desert climate similar to Nevada, Utah, or Colorado, not so beautiful IMHO. You and nanannie are making it sound as though the whole state is like the rainforests near the coast. Wisconsin has more acres of forests and more square miles of water than Washington or Oregon.
Nanannie was referencing Oregons coastline, to which I replied "Not to mention, Oregon is so close to SO many other spectacular sights."

This is just common sense it doesn't take rocket science. If you live in Portland it is relatively close to Yosemite, SF, Big Sur, Seattle, some of the most beautiful places this country has to offer. I couldn't care less which has "more" water.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,556,647 times
Lets stay on topic here... If the arguing continues I will simply close the thread. Take it to the WI chat thread if you feel like debating.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:44 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,675,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoAmour View Post
It is VERY conservative here
Bwah, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!! That is priceless!! Doyle + Feingold + Kohl, plus the entire state government (Assembly, Senate, Governorship, plus Supreme Court) all under liberal Democrats. Yet the state is "too conservative"....hah, hah, hah, hah!!!....

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 12-30-2008 at 11:20 AM..

Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 PM
EZA EZA started this thread

10 posts, read 33,083 times
I have read the posts and I want to thank most of you for your imput. I have lived in Oregon since 1980 and know that it is a very nice place to live, yes even the rain can be fine at times. You cannot beat the Oregon Coast, especially during a winter storm. I also am aware of the winters in Wisconsin and that does not bother me. I was more concerned about driving since I want to live in Watertown but may have to get a job somewhere outside that city. And since, from looking at a map, Wisconsin is dotted with towns all over the place, unlike Centeral Willamette Valley were I live, I do not have a good idea of how far is too far for a job. I travel just 30 minutes to my job now. I do not do much out doors stuff so being inside will be fine with me during the winters, and I think I would like to take up cross country skiing if I move to Wisconsin. One of the nice things I have been reading about Watertown is that it is an hour away from Madison and Milwaukee, which from were I live in Oregon is closer than our major City, Portland. By the way, I suck at spelling so I am sorry for any mistakes you may find.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:53 PM

14,287 posts, read 14,532,627 times
Eza, seeing as the later posts got into a debate rather than issues with living one place and driving say driving a distance to a job, you might do a search through the site because I think various towns have been discussed in terms of driving issues.

As you read the Wisconsin forum (definitely with a big grain of salt so to speak), you might want to private message someone for specific questions and help. You can tell from posts, and those that post often if they are located in an area you are interested in. I don't work anymore and just moved here myself so I can't be of help in commute times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin