Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:47 PM
EZA EZA started this thread

10 posts, read 33,134 times

Advertisements

I appologize if this has already been discussed previous threads. I am considering to move to Wisconsin to attend Graduate School in Watertown Wisconsin. I have lived in the great state of Oregon all my life. I do not have a problem moving at all, but the last time I moved, I was 10 so now I am an adult and have to be the responsible one . I have a lot of questions but will keep it to a few for now and maybe someone can just give me some advice included in the three questions below. My appoligies in advance for grammar errors, it is not my strong suit.

1.)One of the difficulties I am having as I have researched this move is cities around Watertown in which one could live in. I have looked at Watertown and it looks great, but I know that there are probably other cities around there too that are awsome.

2.) Communting in winter. I will need employment and I work right now in a University and have experience in that setting. I noticed that the U of Wisconsin-Whitewater is 26 miles away. In Oregon, even in winter, this would be a long drive but very manageable. I know that Wisconsin's winters can be nasty. Is it possible to commute from Watertown to Whitewater in the winter?

3.) On the same topic as number 2 is commuting to Madison or Milwaukee manageable in winter?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 06:14 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,581,195 times
Well the commute from Watertown to Whitewater is 30 miles. The roads you would be traveling are main highways and are easily accesible in winter. Being it is se WI. That area may be prone to snow drifts. I'd check out WI and see what you think. It's a beautiful state, as is Oregon.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:17 AM

537 posts, read 1,936,724 times
My nephew is in school in Eugene and is anxiously waiting to move back to the midwest.
I think the roads in WI are cleared off fast and the commutes aren't that bad. I know people who live in Kenosha and work in Chicago.
Watertown is nice. Close enough to Milwaukee or Madison to enjoy those areas too.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:32 PM

6 posts, read 18,911 times
Default Moved from Washington State to Oshkosh

DON'T DO IT!
I moved here a year ago and I hate it. I miss the mountains, fresh seafood, and the climate.
The cost of living is much better in Wisconsin BUT it is not worth it considering what you lose in lifestyle.
It is VERY conservative here and there is NOTHING to do at all in the winter. Even in summer it lacks the festivals and variety of outdoor activity you are used to in the Pacific Northwest. I miss the ocean and the trees too. It is so flat here and sort of red neck.
I am selling my house in the Spring and getting the heck out of here. I just hope to God the market allows my house to sell so I'm not stuck here for another HORRIBLE winter. Today it is -11 degrees without the wind chill factored in and the snow is probably 2 feet deep out there and blowing like crazy. It is miserable. Not even gonna talk about driving here.

BEWARE!!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 01:48 PM

That is so funny. My nephew is in Eugene and can't wait to move back to the midwest. He hates Janaury when it rains almost everyday. He said you are wet and cold and there is nothing to do outside.
He is a sports nut and loves that living in the midwest he is a couple of hours from so many major sports venues. Chicago, Minnesota, St. Louis, Green Bay, and even Detroit,Indy, and Ohio teams are easy to get to. Out west he had to drive to Seattle, drive to San Fran and that was about it.
To each his own I guess.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:41 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,991,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoAmour View Post
DON'T DO IT!
I moved here a year ago and I hate it. I miss the mountains, fresh seafood, and the climate.
The cost of living is much better in Wisconsin BUT it is not worth it considering what you lose in lifestyle.
It is VERY conservative here and there is NOTHING to do at all in the winter. Even in summer it lacks the festivals and variety of outdoor activity you are used to in the Pacific Northwest. I miss the ocean and the trees too. It is so flat here and sort of red neck.
I am selling my house in the Spring and getting the heck out of here. I just hope to God the market allows my house to sell so I'm not stuck here for another HORRIBLE winter. Today it is -11 degrees without the wind chill factored in and the snow is probably 2 feet deep out there and blowing like crazy. It is miserable. Not even gonna talk about driving here.

BEWARE!!!!
I responded to this same post in another thread

Anyway, I've read a couple of posts where Wisconsinites are referred to as "rednecks" and conservatives. Funny...I don't see that at all. I'm from Southern California (born and raised) and am newly transplanted to Wisconsin. The winters ARE horrible...I agree with you there. But to categorize all Wisconsinites as rednecked conservatives is just plain ignorant.

I too miss the mountains. But I don't miss the Pacific Ocean. It's stinky and full of sewage, and sharks and stingrays and other toothy critters I prefer the beautiful lakes of Wisconsin, where I know if my legs are dangling in the water, some oceanic creature isn't going to come and take a bite. Also, the lakes here are so much cleaner than the west coast beaches.

I hope your house sells quickly and you can move back where you'll be happier. But I also think your view of Wisconsin and Wisconsinites is a bit jaded.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:27 PM

Very nice post Former California Girl. I wasn't impressed with the Pacific Ocean either. And WI does have some great topography. The Coulee area is so beautiful.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:53 PM

387 posts, read 1,329,008 times
We moved here from the northeast and we love it. I think once you get use to the winters you will do fine here. I hear that the Whitewater area is very nice. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2008, 01:37 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,057,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoAmour View Post
DON'T DO IT!

BEWARE!!!!
I don't know why you're surprised Oshkosh isn't as exciting as Seattle. One has 60,000 people the other has 4 million. That would be like comparing Minneapolis to Spokane. As far as summer festivals go, Milwaukee has Summerfest, the largest music festival in the world not to mention many more smaller fests throughout the spring, summer, and fall. Milwaukee was also named best city for lesbians by Girlfriends magazine in 2001. I think your biggest problem is that you live in a small college town, not a major city.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:05 PM

14,312 posts, read 14,569,094 times
Some posters have such tunnel vision they will only be happy in their home state (why they leave in the first place amazes me) starting with a negative attitude brings more negativity.

There's alot trees in Wisconsin and wonderful lakes, besides the big lake. Great parks near Oshkosh, and the north and south unit of Kettle Moraine is nothing but trees.

These people that hate Appleton, Green Bay and Oshkosh do they ever see anything else in the state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin