Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2007, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,571 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job offer in the Roberts, WI area and Im trying to find a nice city that he can commute from that offers easy access to larger metro-area shopping, decent population, a nice housing area/community and a decent cost of living. Right now, our 1500 sq. ft. home has annual property taxes of $3200 which is always on the rise and the property is valued at $140k. We need something bigger for our growing family and Im concerned that Hudson is getting too "ritzy" and expensive for housing. Are there any areas that can be recommended w/o too much commuting?? What is the difference between North Hudson and Hudson? Are there newer areas of development like new subdivisions? What kind of work can be found in that area? Any info would be helpful!!!
~LAX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 09:27 PM

9 posts, read 32,504 times
Save yourselves a couple thousand in taxes and move to Woodbury, MN. or Stillwater. St. Croix county is the highest taxed in the state of WI. Hudson is a great area, but taxes are really high. Also I heard they will br getting higher once they build a new school.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:33 PM

9 posts, read 32,504 times
Most people that live in Hudson work in the Minneapolis metro. Not really many jobs in Hudson itself. I have seen that there are many houses building up around New Richmond as well which is much smaller than Hudson. RiverFalls is a College town and only about 12 miles from Hudson. I would still consider living on the Minnesota side. The commute out of the metro is easier than in. Also Hudson is the new expanding suburb. I love hudson but Stillwater is a much nicer town.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggss View Post
Save yourselves a couple thousand in taxes and move to Woodbury, MN. or Stillwater. St. Croix county is the highest taxed in the state of WI. Hudson is a great area, but taxes are really high. Also I heard they will br getting higher once they build a new school.

Yes, the property tax rate in MN is lower but the income tax rate is higher AND the houses are more expensive. You might be able to buy a garage in Stillwater or Woodbury for $140K. If you are looking to move up into a larger home expect to pay a minimum of $350,000 in Woodbury and more in Stillwater. You also run into higher insurance rates in MN too--about double what they are in Wisconsin.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:53 AM
HKB

221 posts, read 802,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You also run into higher insurance rates in MN too--about double what they are in Wisconsin.
I just moved to Hudson last year. I had someone tell me the same thing... that insurance rates were so much lower in WI. Much to my disappointment, I found out they're not. The rates are slightly lower, but certainly nowhere close to half that of MN. Maybe it was true at one time, but not anymore.

I really don't notice much of a difference in my income taxes either. Again, the rate is slightly lower, but honestly it's not enough to make a noticeable difference.

Home prices are lower compared to Woodbury & Stillwater. We bought new construction. A comparable house in Woodbury probably would have been $30-$50k more.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:54 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKB View Post
I just moved to Hudson last year. I had someone tell me the same thing... that insurance rates were so much lower in WI. Much to my disappointment, I found out they're not. The rates are slightly lower, but certainly nowhere close to half that of MN. Maybe it was true at one time, but not anymore.

I really don't notice much of a difference in my income taxes either. Again, the rate is slightly lower, but honestly it's not enough to make a noticeable difference.

Home prices are lower compared to Woodbury & Stillwater. We bought new construction. A comparable house in Woodbury probably would have been $30-$50k more.
Maybe because Hudson is so close to the twin cities but Wisconsin insurance rates for the majority of the state ARE half what they are in MN. For a $1.2 MILLION dollar new construction near Green Bay, house insurance is $1550/YEAR. That is equivalent to a house in our are worth about $450,000. Car insurance rates are about half too.

We priced out Hudson several years ago and you are right, Hudson isn't really any more/less expensive then MN. It is pretty much a wash. I was just pointing out to Diggss that it isn't any less expensive to live on the MN side of the river even if our property taxes are lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin