U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:57 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,103,069 times

Advertisements

Originally from England and will soon be moving to the Wausau area and putting roots down after many years moving around those southern states and Europe (currently in Germany).

Read some of the other threads, but want to know more about Marathon County - jobs (graphic design, photography, journalism area), elementary schools, good places to eat, fun things to do (love the outdoors), nightlife (love pool and rock music). Also, any info on bike rallies locally or in neighboring states that my husband and I can go on would be a plus.

Visited Wausau several years ago. Loved the area and the locals but I know a lot can change in a short time. Appreciate all and any good and bad info you can send my way!

Looking forward to eating some of those cheese curds again!

CHEERS

BTW: Any other dislodged Brits living in the area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 08:09 AM

56 posts, read 361,746 times
My favorites in the Wausau area include the likes of Wagon Wheel, Michael's, Pinewood and the Wright Place on 6th (all general super club types, though, Wright Place is more along the lines of 'fine' dining). For Italian, I'd suggest the likes of Iozo's or Carmelo's; lots of folks also like Mino's, too. Green Mill (in the Holiday Inn) has excellent pizza and salads, while Tony Roma's likely has the best ribs. Check out the likes of Hiawatha and City Grill, too.

My favorite when it comes to Mexican is Freddy's out in Hatley----they also have a location in downtown Wausau, though, my favorite is still the original location out in the country.

I think the best Chinese is Peking in downtown Wausau.

Typical for this area, there is an on-going competition as to which restaurant, etc., has the best Friday night fish fry-----my favorites include the Red Granite Bar out on K (old 51) and the Loading Zone.

Good luck on your relocation!

Old 03-04-2007, 08:27 AM

Thanks so much for the dining tips. I'm a big fan of Italian and Mexican so I'll be checking out your recommendations.

Do you folks have an Oktoberfest? Also, when is your county fair?

Old 03-04-2007, 09:23 AM

537 posts, read 1,875,669 times
We like the Pinewood. Christians Bistro in Plover is also top notch. We are originally from Chicago and the Mexican food around here is terrible. It is no where near what Mexican food is. Typically they either microwave it and have it at your table in 5 minutes or they cover it in cheese and sour cream and olives. We go to either Chicago, Milwaukee or Madison for true Mexican. I also like Minos, Carmellos, Green Mill depends on who is cooking. It is either good or terrible and don't let them sit you on the north wall, the dishwashers run often and they are noisy. I'm not big on Fish Fries. I love Chang Garden for Chinese.
The schools are good. DC Everest is very good. Wausau West in almost brand new. . I think if you have young children I would look at Weston or maybe Wausau, west of the hospital. The downtown area of Wausau is mostly older homes and neighborhoods are just OK.
The fair is around the 1st week in August. We don't have an Oktoberfest but La Crosse does.
There is a Harley ride up to Tomahawk in the fall. We like to cross country ski and snow shoe. We are finally taking our snow shoes out for the 1st time in 6 years. I don't drink so can't really say anything about bars. We have a free City Pages and every September they run a section on the best of Wausau. Also check out the Wausau Daily Herald,they run a chat board that has a lot of interesting topics and I'm sure people would be more then willing to let you know more about the area.
Good luck. We moved here 20 years ago from Chicago and really like it.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:05 AM

Yet again thanks for the great info'. Already hooked up with the Daily Herald. Wish we were getting half the snow that you guys are. It's sunny and just sweater weather here in Germany. We're even riding!

Old 04-01-2007, 03:58 PM

Location: Outer edge of Portland metro, a stone's throw to the Clackamas R:)
38 posts, read 138,931 times
Default Bar in Wausau

Hi,

Don't know whether you've arrived in Wausau yet...

My favorite place to have a beer when I'm there is the Scott Street Pub
124 Scott Street
Wausau, WI 54402
(715) 842-2424

I'm flying out to Wausau next week, and that's my first stop after getting picked up at CWA

Also, there is a local HOG club...the Harley dealer has been open a year now:
http://www.hdwausau.com/
http://www.centralwihog.org

I'll be out there a couple months this summer...what are you riding? Maybe see you on the road!

trish

Old 04-02-2007, 08:28 PM

42 posts, read 182,292 times
Wasau is a great town BTW if you like skiing Granite Peak is AWSOME!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlingal View Post
Hi,

Don't know whether you've arrived in Wausau yet...

My favorite place to have a beer when I'm there is the Scott Street Pub
124 Scott Street
Wausau, WI 54402
(715) 842-2424

I'm flying out to Wausau next week, and that's my first stop after getting picked up at CWA

Also, there is a local HOG club...the Harley dealer has been open a year now:
http://www.hdwausau.com/
http://www.centralwihog.org

I'll be out there a couple months this summer...what are you riding? Maybe see you on the road!

trish
Thanks for the info. Is Scott St. up from the library / bridge? Long time since I was last in Wausau and the old memory is kind of sketchy.
When we land in the next few months, we'll have to pop in!

BTW: Heritage with some minor mods.

Happy ridin

Old 04-06-2007, 03:17 PM

Location: Outer edge of Portland metro, a stone's throw to the Clackamas R:)
38 posts, read 138,931 times
Yes, Scott St is major one-way street in downtown. The pub is in the first block up (east) from the bridge.

When are you arriving?

Trish

'04 XL1200C Sporty w/ screamin eagle

Spousal unit: '06 XL1200C Sporty w/screamin eagle (we rock!!) & '06 XB12X Buell Ulysses

Old 04-09-2007, 06:45 PM

56 posts, read 361,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekg56 View Post
Wausau West in almost brand new.

FWIW, Wausau West is nearly 30 years old and, from my persepective, I just don't see how it would qualify as being "almost brand new". Do you mean Wausau East, which, in fact, opened and was brand new in 2005?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin