Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:32 AM
KFG

1 posts, read 1,425 times

Advertisements

I grew up in southwestern wisconsin in the la crosse area and still live here at present time. Two years ago was the first time I ever ventured up to northern wisconsin and I can't believe I waited 40 years to do so. In fact I was on a search at the time for a little acreage and we found some right up by the Michigan border. The whole feel of the northwoods is awesome. My whole family is excited everytime we go up. Everyone there is very laid back and low key. (except for all the weekend warriors that come from the big cities, which at times, personally I have a love/hate relationship with. They are necessary for the economy for the local areas but at the same time their presence can deteriorate the "quiteness" of the northwoods.) Anyway, enough whining. I'm not a world traveler, so I haven't been everywhere but I have been to a few scenic locations(Alaska-Montana-California) and the serenity the "big pines" offers cannot be measured. I'm planning on retiring there. Winters are a little worse than on the southern end of the state but we snowmobile so I love it. The summers are a little less humid than the river valley I live in so that's a huge bonus for me, I hate heat. I guess being a carpenter and working outside most of the time will do that to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 01:44 PM

280 posts, read 648,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weightyghost View Post
We moved to SE Wisconsin 5 months ago. A few things we've learned:
5) People tend to be less than friendly
6) Obesity seems common...maybe the weather and lack of activities
7) Non-smokers seem to be the minority
These all depend almost entirely on where you go. You're much more likely to find them in places like Cudahy and West Allis (for example) than you are on the East Side of Milwaukee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I don't know what circles you are hanging out in but my view would be the complete opposite of these. Agree on the rest of your points though.

Well you can thank our liberal judges and Gov Jim Doyle and now he is releasing a bunch of repeat drunk drivers and multiple felons. Just wait until one of the hundreds of people he is letting out kills someone!
People are able to keep their licenses after mutiple DUIs because Wisconsin is by far the most tolerant state when it comes to alcohol abuse and Doyle didn't do anything different from what Tommy Thompson and Scott McCallum did in their final days as governor. None of this has anything to do with politics and the idea that liberal judges could somehow run the asylum in a state as conservative as ours is laughable.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:55 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times
I'll tell you one random thing I like better -the air's relationship with my skin. lol
I moved back here in October after years in Montana and something about that mountain air out there... I was always itchy, no matter what the season. It's drier. The summers are a dry heat out in Montana. And it's dry the rest of the time as well.. no lake air. A day there without lotion or aloe vera was not an option for me. (Well okay, a bit of an exaggeration, but I definitely wouldn't want to forget more than a couple days in a row.)

Not saying I never itch, but there's been no such issue since I've been back. And with the humidity coming in a few months, I don't suspect it'll be an issue then either.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:46 PM

437 posts, read 815,708 times
I grew up in WI, then spent years living other places. I've traveled to other countries and now I'm back due to unforeseen circumstances. To those of you that love it in WI, good for you. I can't wait to leave and when real estate turns back around I'm putting my house up for sale and getting the heck out.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 PM

160 posts, read 454,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonM View Post
all i hear is people moaning and groaning about the negatives of wisconsin i'm just wondering.......is there anyone out there that loves wi? i am living in california and want to move to your beautiful state lord willing but it would be nice to hear some positives!! thanks
I grew up on the Minnesota/Wisconsin border in Osceola, WI, and hands down it was the best experience of my life. What a great little town, nice people, beautiful St. Croix River, and definately the small town feel. Although I could live anywhere in this world, I will always hold a special place in my heart for this gorgeous part of the country....good memories, and hands down....God's country!!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 PM

23 posts, read 59,271 times
I have lived in Wisconsin all my life, and am now retired. Most of my coworkers were born in Wisconsin also, so it's a little hard to escape with few places looking better. I will be moving to somewhere with less severe winters.

A friend of my b-i-l was incarcerated in Wisconsin, but he was sent to a prison in Tennessee because of a lack of space. He thought that the prison guards were more unsavory in Tennessee than prisoners in Wisconsin.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:49 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,561 times
I was a transplant 26 years ago from Indiana and now have loved living in Wisconsin. I am now waiting on an opening in my companies Seattle, WA office and can't wait for the new location and adventure but will always remember the beauty and nature within a few miles travel. Can't wait for the opportunity to start my new season in my garden and hopefully take many of my perenials with me... hmmm... yes I love Wisconsin and will miss her but will embrace my "new adventures" in Seattle.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,999 times
I love it here!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llratke View Post
I grew up on the Minnesota/Wisconsin border in Osceola, WI, and hands down it was the best experience of my life. What a great little town, nice people, beautiful St. Croix River, and definately the small town feel. Although I could live anywhere in this world, I will always hold a special place in my heart for this gorgeous part of the country....good memories, and hands down....God's country!!
Osceola is great. Great proximity to the Cities. No matter where I ever live for the rest of my life - Wisconsin or otherwise - that's my ideal kind of place; a smaller city/town outside of a bigger city. God's country is right. All of Wisconsin is God's country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin