U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 PM

356 posts, read 763,675 times

Advertisements

I live in CT and I'm a Giants fan but I'm just wondering: has the land where Brett Favre was a legend changed its view on him?

Is he still God in Green Bay and Wisconsin?

Just wondering. WE HATE HIM IN THE TRI-STATE! lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:03 AM

375 posts, read 1,262,216 times
I think people appreciate what he did for the Packers. But I have also seen them embrace Aaron Rodgers as the new face of the Packers. We went to a few games this year, we did see some people wearing Jet jerseys with #4 on them but we also saw the fans standing and cheering Rodgers when he came on and off the field.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:56 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,032,457 times
Favre is a living legend in this state.

Time heals all wounds as it relates to the difficult way he left this past season, which somewhat splintered the Packers fanbase (those that were "pro-Favre" and those that were "pro-Packers Mgmt.").

Both sides probably bungled things pretty well in the way he left, but again, time heals all wounds. The fact remains that a) the Packers now are probably better off with Rodgers as their QB (unbelievably good #'s for a first year starter), but b) Favre won 3 MVP awards, a Super Bowl trophy in a Packers uniform and is probably the greatest Packer arguably to ever lace 'em up.

In time (probably a year or a few after his retirement - depending upon how quickly he and management can let bygones be bygones) Favre will return to GB as royalty (rightfully), take his number retirement, and be forever lauded and regarded when in WI as Mr. Packer.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:30 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,558,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateDaum View Post
I think people appreciate what he did for the Packers. But I have also seen them embrace Aaron Rodgers as the new face of the Packers. We went to a few games this year, we did see some people wearing Jet jerseys with #4 on them but we also saw the fans standing and cheering Rodgers when he came on and off the field.

I agree.

It took some people quite a while to let go, but Aaron Rodgers did an admirable job this year and it seems that most fans have now accepted him.

I have some friends in the NY/NJ area and they have NO use for Favre and hope he retires. Again.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:25 PM

109 posts, read 310,026 times
i think brett crappie flopped so much about weather or not he wanted to keep playing that he lost a lot of respect from a lot of fans. half my friends now hate brett, and everyone i know likes rogers regardless of there feeling towards brett the jet

Old 01-05-2009, 01:07 PM

13,203 posts, read 13,135,101 times
Yes, Brett Favre was a great quarterback for the Packers, key word there, was. Aaron Rodgers did an awesome job as a 1st year guy, incredible stats and numbers. Look at where he is on the list when compared with all the other quarterbacks this season.

A great job and he'll only get better, he's young and smart. He plays like he's thinking everything through, not trying to be a hot shot or larger than life. Brett will always be honored for what he did for Green Bay and should be but his days are over, now its Rodgers turn.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:31 PM

356 posts, read 763,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
I agree.

It took some people quite a while to let go, but Aaron Rodgers did an admirable job this year and it seems that most fans have now accepted him.

I have some friends in the NY/NJ area and they have NO use for Favre and hope he retires. Again.
Its Tri State...NY/NJ/CT...

and yeah, Favre is hated.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:35 PM

7,285 posts, read 15,238,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
I live in CT and I'm a Giants fan but I'm just wondering: has the land where Brett Favre was a legend changed its view on him?

Is he still God in Green Bay and Wisconsin?

Just wondering. WE HATE HIM IN THE TRI-STATE! lol
Ask me again in a few years when I might care. Farve, and the Packers, are both mutually responsible for screwing things up.

In my humble opinion, they both deserve a year or two on my !@#$ list!

That said, one man does not a team make. We're talking about the Green Bay Packers, not the Green Bay Farves.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:24 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,032,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Farve, and the Packers, are both mutually responsible for screwing things up.

In my humble opinion, they both deserve a year or two on my !@#$ list!
I usually agree with your posts, 43-87, however, here is one where I respectfully disagree.

This wasn't mutual. I knew this all along, although now finally I am hearing echos in my ear (even though only about 6 weeks ago I was like a lone wolf crowing by myself)...the Packers organization only screw up really was PR. They handled that aspect horribly, admittedly.

Favre was the general one to blame. When he retired, he acknowledged that he realized 07 was his one last great burst, he had a lot of luck (and talent) around him and that his heart was done.

Foolishly, he let his ego and pride get in the way of reality (which I don't necessarily horribly blame him for...tons of mainstream athletes have done it before him) and came back. Yet, at the end of the day, Thompson and McCarthy realize that not only would Rodgers probably be a hare better for now...in 3 years from now when Favre's been retired for most of that time and Rodgers is still the Packers' QB and doing well (something that wouldn't have been the case had Favre come back again this year - Rodgers would've left via FA) - the decision was painfully obvious.

Sports fans - like political observers of our day - have become WAY TOO knee-jerk, instant-reactionary, what-have-you-done-for-me-today without any long-term perspective or an eye on the prize. All year - until DEC - I have had to suffer through so many Packers' "fans" touting how much better things would have been this season with Favre back as our QB. Now....now that the season played itself out...we realize that Rodgers was the choice all along.

Brett is going to retire now, and God bless him. He deserves it. He was incredibly for 16+ seasons. He'll always be Mr. Packer. But the Pack is better off for the decision they made this year, as painful as it was, and as painfully they bungled it.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 AM

38,706 posts, read 96,220,019 times
^^^ I agree Favre set up a no-win situation by backpedaling and trying to plead his way back onto the team after putting them on notice that they needed to change direction. But I thought it was dicky of the Packers to refuse to release him unless he agreed not to play for any NFC North team: (read: we won't let you play for the Bears.) Considering how much value he built for that franchise over the years, if they weren't going to give him a spot on the roster, the least they could have done was granted him a clean break for one lousy year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: