Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:11 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times

Advertisements

I can't stand our license plate design, I think we should drop "America's Dairyland" I just don't think it's that attractive to be referred to as the dairy state. Get rid of the pic of the farm!!! Wisconsin produces more dairy
products than any other state in the United States except California.

Therefore we are no longer the dairy state we manufacturer more than anything in this state. Just have a picture of a lake or a city if you live in milwaukee county instead of a farm.

Instead of "America's Dairyland" lets put our county designation like many other states.

So would you change our license plate design?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 02:27 PM

620 posts, read 1,838,547 times
Yes - it's time for a change - maybe more colorful! Reminds me of the beginning of That 70's show - big pic of the WI plate in your face - ha!

Old 02-26-2009, 04:11 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
How much would that cost??

Not a wise use of gov't funds right now.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:18 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
How much would that cost??

Not a wise use of gov't funds right now.
I don't see why this would have to cost much more, if any more.

Obviously making different plate designs has not been cost prohibitive enough to cancel them. The state is awash in special designs, but if you look, they're mostly variations on the same theme. They use the same tooling.

Of course, the state could probably **** it up beyond all recognition. after all, every little change needs to have a study, and every study needs to have experts, and then it would probably have to be approved and legislated and sent in front of twelve committees, and blah blah blah ad infinitum.

The good news is, Governor Doyle & Co. have finally realized that front license plates are useless, and are considering dumping them. Since I haven't used a front license plate since 1988 on any car of mine that was or is registered there, I would concur that it is quite the waste of money.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:20 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I can't stand our license plate design, I think we should drop "America's Dairyland" I just don't think it's that attractive to be referred to as the dairy state. Get rid of the pic of the farm!!! Wisconsin produces more dairy
products than any other state in the United States except California.

Therefore we are no longer the dairy state we manufacturer more than anything in this state. Just have a picture of a lake or a city if you live in milwaukee county instead of a farm.

Instead of "America's Dairyland" lets put our county designation like many other states.

So would you change our license plate design?
Oh yes, yes I would. Time to get rid of the cow & farm image, folks. I'd just be happy with the Sesquicentennial plate. I had one, but after trading two cars and so on, it wasn't registered and I couldn't revive it. I wish I still had it.

As it turns out, a majority of C-D respondents would have it changed as well.

//www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...se-plates.html

Old 02-26-2009, 04:28 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
I've been saying the same thing for years. It makes us look like hicks. Besides, we haven't been the top dairy producing state in over 10 years. They can keep the birds and the sailboat but get rid of the barn and replace it with a bunch of trees or something. I like the idea of every county having their own plate design. Milwaukee County could feature the MAM, Dane County could feature the Capitol, Brown County could feature Lameau Field, and so on.

Facts about Wisconsin courtesy of Wikipedia.
- Overall, 46% of Wisconsin's land area is covered by forest.
- Wisconsin contains 11,188 square miles (28,977 km²) of water, more than all but three other states (Alaska, Michigan, and Florida).
- Manufacturing accounts for a far greater part of the state's income than farming.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:31 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Oh yes, yes I would. Time to get rid of the cow & farm image, folks. I'd just be happy with the Sesquicentennial plate. I had one, but after trading two cars and so on, it wasn't registered and I couldn't revive it. I wish I still had it.

As it turns out, a majority of C-D respondents would have it changed as well.

//www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...se-plates.html

I was just about to post that! I remember asking that way back when.lol I like the idea of a individual county design or maybe regional designs? Like Racine and Kenosha county could have a lake michigan theme with something urban considering there proximity to Chicago and Milwaukee. I talked to a guy via email last summer and I had expressed interest in submitting some designs for a license plate he told me that the state was considering an overhaul in like 2010?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:28 PM

Do you see what I mean about county designation IE "DeKalb". We should have this feature on our plates and yes also get rid of the front plate requirement. If you live in Milwaukee you really don't have to worry about your vanity plate or euro plate but when you travel to the suburbs then you have to worry.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:53 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
MLWCTY,
I thought you meant a whole different plate for each county. I like the idea of a nameplate with your county on it. That'd be cool.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 PM

Oh I would also like a different plate for each county or at least for the big cities of our state: la crosse, eau claire, green bay, fox cities, milwaukee, racine and kenosha, janesville/beloit, madison.

Milwaukee's plate should have buildings and art museum and lake Michigan. Madison area license plate can have a bunch of hippies on state street smokin' the reefer...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin