U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:31 PM

8,158 posts, read 20,740,812 times

Advertisements

Why???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 02:48 PM

12,766 posts, read 12,537,132 times
Summerray that is so different from the Two Rivers/Manitowoc area, everyone around here makes eye contact, young or old doesn't matter, people are just plain nice, say hello or smile, rare if they don't.

A friend came to visit last fall and we walked several neighborhoods, 4 miles actually, and she was very surprised that everyone we passed smiled, said hello, some wanted to stop and chat. I walked her to an area where there are bigger, older homes, plus a Frank Lloyd Wright house, and people were still friendly.

Last edited by susancruzs; 03-16-2009 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,848,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Why???
LOL! Because I married a man who lives here (after a long-distance relationship...we met in San Diego when he was there on business).

Old 03-16-2009, 07:48 PM

8,158 posts, read 20,740,812 times
Quote:
LOL! Because I married a man who lives here (after a long-distance relationship...we met in San Diego when he was there on business).
Can't argue with you there, I was living in Miami Beach when I met my wife and well we know where I moved to. Uggghhh!!!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 AM

375 posts, read 1,235,941 times
Susan I agree with you. We walk a lot when we are visiting different WI towns and also find that people smile and nod at you. Even driving down back roads people wave.
We have never been in a place in WI where we haven't found locals to chat with. But I am a person who makes eye contact, smiles, or I say Hi to everyone I pass. Sometimes my kids get annoyed because I carry on conversations with complete strangers all the time.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:11 PM

34 posts, read 119,395 times
Default I'm With Summerray

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerray View Post
Hey there. I have lurked here over the years during moves but had to join to reply to your post... though you may not check back.

I would have always agreed with its the people not the place... except our experience transplanting here was VERY different.

We were a military family, we have lived in MI,OH,MO, IL x2, KS, PA, SC.. and Alaska. We never EVER had problems transplanting, making friends, anything like that. So with you being in the civilian side of military life, you have a good idea of how the life is. You can make a house into a home anywhere, kwim.

We moved to WI nearly 2 years ago and it IS different. It is hard to explain, people were not welcoming. Putting yourself out there is not welcoming. Click like, it simply is different.

Summerray, I could have written your post myself. We've lived in WI going on two years, and have also found most people to be, as you put it, not welcoming. They're not rude, they're just not interested.

Like Kate Daum, I can chat with anyone, and often do. But I'm just not finding many here who want to.

Our dd works in town at a restaurant and has seen the same thing; she says if a customer responds in a friendly manner, they're almost always transplants or tourists (we're in Door County).

We've attended a local church for a year and have yet to get much beyond "hello" with anyone. But when we visited our son's church in St. Louis, MO a while back, we couldn't get over how friendly everyone was, and this was when we first arrived, so no one even knew who we were.

We're not assuming all of Wisconsin is like this. We just don't find people here to be very open to newcomers. In fact, the friendliest person I've found is one of the gals who works at the post office. Go figure

Summerray, I hope you're able to move on to somewhere more like the other places you've lived. We rent, so we're able to move if we want, and are definitely considering it once our lease is up this summer. We just haven't figured out where to go.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:35 PM

9 posts, read 18,702 times
Thank you so much for your reply, I was starting to feel like I was imagining things. That is exactly what I was trying to say, people are just not interested. For the record we are social, wave while driving, you name it also.. simply people seem to simply not interested in making the effort or gesture back. We made a big mistake buying this home here, I so wish we could simply pick up and start over. That is great that you are in a lease, wish I could help you on where to go though. We originally landed in Brookfield in temporary housing that was okay and probably the normal for WI. Actually to think about it, most of the people we talked to were also new transplants (I think corps. set people up in that area, lots of MI plates.) I am just a little north of Waukesha County/ county line rd.. inside Washington County. This is real life as I see and live it here.

You know what, our small town postmaster is absolutely wonderful also! She and the farmer What a difference it is to see a welcoming friendly face, its refreshing to stop in my post office. Its silly but I dread having to occasionally use the other post office (different town inside my kids school district)... totally different neg vibe.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:53 AM

8 posts, read 24,888 times
I would only ask WHY WI??? omg the weather here sucks and you really dont meet alot of people because everyone is HOME BOUND due to weather! LOL...
Actually I've been here all my life and besides the weather and high taxes/insurances/housing/rent...It is a nice place especially smaller towns..

Old 03-26-2009, 09:06 PM

375 posts, read 1,235,941 times
I love the weather. I do wish the snow lasted longer. We have been here for 2 years and both years we only had decent snow from middle of December to the end of Feb. We are winter sports fans and had to put away the snow shoes all ready. 2 1/2 months of snow isn't enough for us!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,594 times
Here's the honest scoop about living in small town WI. I moved to a small town in NE, WI 7 years ago. If you like snowmobiling, ice fishing, and drinking all of the Miller Light you can stomach you will fit in just dandy! Otherwise, welcome to he!!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin