U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2009, 11:15 PM
 
Location: MO
380 posts, read 878,059 times
Reputation: 418

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerray View Post
I just came home from a trip to 'piggly wiggly', not a single person said hello, , made eye contact, smiled, greeted, heck I had the manager just toss my hamburger buns between two 2 liters .
Are you in the Sheboygan area by any chance? We lived there for over 45 years and moved south to Missouri in late 2007. If I've guessed correctly, I may be able to help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 AM
 
9 posts, read 18,704 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2pomona View Post
Are you in the Sheboygan area by any chance? We lived there for over 45 years and moved south to Missouri in late 2007. If I've guessed correctly, I may be able to help.
Awe, Thank you. I am not near Sheboygan though. I am in the Richfield Germantown area. How is MO treating you? We used to live outside of St.Louis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 05:08 AM
 
2 posts, read 24,287 times
Reputation: 17
I hate to say it, but I think it depends on the town. I've lived in several towns in Wisconsin over the years. First, I'll mention Baraboo. I felt like the people here were very warm. Newcomers were welcomed in the church I attended (Presbyterian) and it was easy to get involved. Not too bad at work either, but there were quite a few transplants there. Several years ago I moved to a neighborhood in Milwaukee that was a mix. Again I felt really welcomed. It is the kind of neighborhood where folks are outside puttering in their yards or walking their dogs. in good weather, ...easy to say hi and get things started.
In between I was in Cazenovia and Reedsburg and it was totally different. Not the good feelings I felt in the other places and I'm not sure why.
Both Baraboo and Milwaukee had lots of active stuff for kids....scouts, 4H, sports activities. Also lots of stuff for adults....softball in the summer, festivals to get involved in (it's fun to be part of the organizing groups)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 09:28 PM
 
7 posts, read 16,848 times
Reputation: 18
I also am a transplant, it is very difficult to fit in, this is my experience ONLY, I am a minority and I have not been able to make "real" friends in this small town I live in, hate it! A year ago I was so fed up I went to work in Milwaukee and what do you know, within 6 months I had a huge circle of friends and I love them! I think it is where in Wisconsin you are, and sorry to say most conservative small towns are not friendly to outsiders, but especially minorities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2018, 01:39 PM
 
12 posts, read 10,652 times
Reputation: 20
I know that this is an old thread, but Wisconsin is friggin GREAT for meeting people
It took a few years of me being away to realize how awesome it is. Now Im moving back and I cant wait. I mean, most of Wisconsin is standoff ish like people have said. But theres like ten very cool spots in Wisconsin where making friends is a breeze. Most states only have one or two of those places.


But Madison, Appleton, Oshkosh, Green Bay, La Crosse, Eau Claire, Platteville, Kenosha and several other spots are fantastic. If you live within a 40 minute drive of a city of 50,000 or more people in Wisconsin, making friends should be a breeze.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2018, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
2,209 posts, read 1,908,129 times
Reputation: 2470
It also depends a lot of the transplant's attitude... If you like Wisconsin, Wisconsin likes you back. If you only complain how boring and grey it is, well... people think you'd better stay where you came from.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2018, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Reno, Nv
46 posts, read 83,786 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
It also depends a lot of the transplant's attitude... If you like Wisconsin, Wisconsin likes you back. If you only complain how boring and grey it is, well... people think you'd better stay where you came from.
Good to know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2018, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Westport, WI
5 posts, read 7,096 times
Reputation: 32
I live near the boundary of Madison and another community. The another community has grown significantly in the past 20 years, and most of the locals that remain are somewhat hostile towards the new folks (what was built was mostly high-end construction and most new people were from other states). Most of the farmers that stayed have not liked the newcomers either. A lot of the new folks started running the government and used eminent domain to take more farmland. In general, locals in Wisconsin, especially in the southern counties where most of the growth in the past 30 years has happened, are not pleased with the rapid rate of growth we continue to have.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2018, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Portland OR
2,091 posts, read 3,070,923 times
Reputation: 3261
Quote:
Originally Posted by danecountyfarmer View Post
I live near the boundary of Madison and another community. The another community has grown significantly in the past 20 years, and most of the locals that remain are somewhat hostile towards the new folks (what was built was mostly high-end construction and most new people were from other states). Most of the farmers that stayed have not liked the newcomers either. A lot of the new folks started running the government and used eminent domain to take more farmland. In general, locals in Wisconsin, especially in the southern counties where most of the growth in the past 30 years has happened, are not pleased with the rapid rate of growth we continue to have.
It's probably nice to know that your farm is now worth several million though. That would not have happened without the local growth. You guys owned the right property ahead of the curve - Good for you. Consider yourself smart (or lucky) but either way, some of you are set for life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2018, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
2,209 posts, read 1,908,129 times
Reputation: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
It's probably nice to know that your farm is now worth several million though. That would not have happened without the local growth. You guys owned the right property ahead of the curve - Good for you. Consider yourself smart (or lucky) but either way, some of you are set for life.
Some gut feeling tells me, the government won’t pay millions of dollars for undevelopment land, but rather use eminent domain and pay as little as possible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top