U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:19 PM

19 posts, read 75,479 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking of moving to Chippewa Falls and have been fascinated with the area. What are some cons of moving to such a location.

I live in Southern California currently.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2006, 04:10 PM

6 posts, read 21,922 times
Prepare yourself for 30 to 40 degree temperature changes - in the same day. The pace is very slow and no one dresses hip. We also tend to weigh more around here because of the climate and the local diet.

I cannot imagine why you would want to leave Southern California.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 10,516 times
southern cali sucks ... too hot, too many bugs, and if you don't speak spanish you can't order water at mcdonalds.

chip falls is a great area, lots of activities to do in the winter, and your close to rock fest and country fest in cadott, wi in the summer. it's just over an hour to the MOA in minnesota, and eau claire has a bit of nightlife, once you know where to look.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:27 PM

167 posts, read 883,589 times
Another thing to consider, depending on what you do for a living, is that you may have trouble finding a job as there is pretty high demand for good jobs in this area. And if you think you'll escape heat and bugs by moving to Wisconsin, think again-- summers get very hot here and there are plenty of bugs.
If you're into winter sports, yes, this area is good for that. But just to warn you, the MOA is lame after you've been there a few times.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 13,933 times
Default chippewa falls/eau claire

like i said to someone else you can get good houses, they are constantly builiding new houses everywhere all over eau claire including the new waterford development which will inlcude 2 12 story housing buildings, shops, and etc with prices rangers from the low 200 thousands into the millions. www.waterfordeauclaire.com. Eau claire is a great place to live because in the winter you have snowmobiling and all that fun stuff (although not enough snow to open the trails recently) and water everywhere for boating..there is the chippewa river, eau claire river, many several lakes including lake wissota which hosted a bass tournament recently with the 50 best bass fisherman in the country. also in a recent national study the eau claire area school district is the 5th best in the entire country. and there actually is quite a night life in eau claire, you just have to know who to ask.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 13,933 times
country fest is a blast, ive been there a few times and love it, never been to rock fest but ive heard its pretty rowdy, also there is country JAM in eau claire wish is like country FEST but camping is not right there at the stage

Old 03-09-2006, 12:30 AM

19 posts, read 75,479 times
Default The Weather

Thanks for the information. So. Cal is too crowded, 50% plus the population is illegal aliens now running in from mexico. Everywhere is a 2+ hour commute. Smog and polution is deadly, the beaches are closed half the time due to contamination and the list goes on and on. The weather is nice, and the jobs are good, but its got to the point where you cant even go to the amuzement parks like Disneyland anymore as they are so crowded with so many people here its just a waste of time. Everyone is selfish and self centered.

I keep hearing the one concerns is about the cold weather and that is the biggest concern I continue to hear about. Is it really that bad? How do you cope with it?

Old 03-20-2006, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand09
like i said to someone else you can get good houses, they are constantly builiding new houses everywhere all over eau claire including the new waterford development which will inlcude 2 12 story housing buildings, shops, and etc with prices rangers from the low 200 thousands into the millions. www.waterfordeauclaire.com. Eau claire is a great place to live because in the winter you have snowmobiling and all that fun stuff (although not enough snow to open the trails recently) and water everywhere for boating..there is the chippewa river, eau claire river, many several lakes including lake wissota which hosted a bass tournament recently with the 50 best bass fisherman in the country. also in a recent national study the eau claire area school district is the 5th best in the entire country. and there actually is quite a night life in eau claire, you just have to know who to ask.
i cant buy a condo im looking to rent could you give me some numbers for places that are 3 beds or more and the rent doesnt go over 700. monthly?
that except pets also.... thanks ill be waiting i would take anything that is nice looking and if heats including that is way to cool....thanks again
Or even Augusta, Wisconsin would be nice to live in.....thanks again

Last edited by Marka; 03-20-2006 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: double post

Old 03-24-2006, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,077 times
Quote:
I keep hearing the one concerns is about the cold weather and that is the biggest concern I continue to hear about. Is it really that bad? How do you cope with it?
With cold weather comes heating bills, having to scrape your car windows every morning if you don't have a garage, getting bundled up if you want to go anywhere, shoveling snow, getting stick in snow.
I guess it just gets annoing in the winter because it seems like everything is work but then summer comes and life is enjoyable again.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,605 times
Default beware

I lived in WI for 15 years and now live on the East Coast, so I can perhaps provide some insight comparing WI to a more populated and developed area.

Wisconsin in general is cold and snowy in winter, temps below freezing are not uncommon and you'll definitely need to get used to shoveling snow or flipping a 20-spot to the inevitable guy with a plow who comes around after a heavy snowfall (which will be frequent). You will experience below-0 temps several times per winter, too. The state borders Cananda for pete's sake. If you're one of those people who whines about a chill in the air don't move because WI will be hell for you.

There are many nice places in WI but you need to be aware of what you're getting into--the Eau Claire area is miniscule compared to So CA so know you'll basically be moving to the sticks. A great area for outdoorsman type stuff but if you're into indoor cultural activities you should definitely stay in So CA. As for nightlife, a couple posters have noted that you have to "know where to look" and "know who to ask." If you need to know these things to find nightlife, that means the area has no nightlife (only the locals think it does, which is the norm for small towns). So be aware of that as well.

You should also look into employment before pulling the trigger on a move, low population areas do not have a large employment base.

Taxes in general are very high in WI but the real estate prices in Eau Claire area will be much lower than So CA. The cost of living is likely lower if you move. That is, if you can find a job.

The people in WI are generally friendlier than on the East and West Coasts. Not over the top friendly like stereotypically protrayed in the occasional movie that features a "midwestern hick" character, but easygoing. If you're a naturally social person you'll like WI. Also there is virtually no crime, although the locals will complain about the place turning into Chicago every time there's a few more burglaries per month than usual, the police make a drug bust, or the very rare violent crime occurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin