Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:45 AM

10 posts, read 34,575 times

Advertisements

We are moving up to wisconsin in octber, we are liking what we have read about cedarburg. We trying to find homes to rent in cedarburg does anyone know how I can go about finding rental homes that are not advertised on the internet? also if any one has any input on cedarburg it would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 08:58 PM

151 posts, read 705,333 times
Cedarburg is a very nice town with a great little downtown area. Numerous quaint shops and restaurants as well as coffee shops make up most of the downtown area. There are quite a few small festivals during the summer and fall as well. I think that you would probably be better off renting an apartment or townhouse there as the most recent Sunday classified ads (Milwaukee Journal) do not show any homes for rent at this time. You may want to visit there first and get a local shopper (magazine) that will list rentals available. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2007, 03:51 AM

this move is going to be a big change for us. right now we live in MO and all we have to go by is the internet. we are planning a visit this summer; however I like to do as much reseach as i can. How are the schools there? Is this a good town to raise a family? How close is the nearest retail store...like wal-mart, target, kohl's, mall etc?

Old 03-27-2007, 08:54 AM

I would highly recommend the town for raising a family. As far as the nearest big retail store, I am not sure. You would proably be at least 25 min. from one of those. The closest mall would be Bay Shore which is about 20 min from Cedarburg I believe. Of course you have local grocery and drug stores, though. I lived in Mequon which is about 10 min, south of Cedarburg. Are you limited to Cedarburg, or have you chosen that based on what you have seen?

Old 03-27-2007, 03:59 PM

no we havent limited ourselves to cedarburg, we do like what we are reading about it. like i said the internet right now is all we have to base anything off of. a visit will take place this summer, move will take place towards the end of the year. we live in a small town now, the city we live in now is made up of about 4,000 but we have a twin city that intertwins with us and both citys together make up about 15,000. we want somewhere that is great to raise a family, low crime, sex offenders and isnt over populated... by they way if i didnt say this before the reason for relocating is husband got a job in milwaulkee. he doesnt really want to drive more then 30 min - 40 mins tops. any suggestions would be greatly appriecated.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:00 PM

16 posts, read 73,951 times
I would also highly recommend it for its pleasant family atmosphere, good schools, low crime rate, and location. If you are used to a small town, Cedarburg may be somewhat of a change for you in the sense that while the downtown strip is very quaint and quite touristy, much of the rest of the town looks much like any upper middle class suburb USA. It is very clean and well kept and is also a rather scenic area. Cedarburg is actually a far Northern suburb of Milwaukee, and while there is plenty of farmland and country to the north and especially west, it has become pretty contiguously developed to the south towards the city (Milwaukee). If you are cool with that, I think you are in for a treat. Cedarburg is also less than 5 miles from Lake Michigan with its beautiful coastline.

As far as the closest retail, Bayshore Towne Center in the northern suburb of Glendale is the closest mall, and yes is about 20 min south of Cedarburg. Target, however is much closer and is only about 10 min away in Grafton, which is the next suburb north of Cedarburg and is currently experiencing a retail explosion with a Costco under construction in a shopping center to include Qdoba, Noodles & Co. and many other retailers. This will actually be the first Costco store in the metro Milwaukee area. There is also a Kohl's Dept. store and a Shopko in Grafton south of their downtown area and just north of the border with Cedarburg. Cedarburg also will be getting a Starbucks this summer, so no, it's not exactly the small town you may be used to. Best Buy and Borders books are 10-15 min south in Fox Point and Wal-mart is 10 min north in Saukville. There are also numerous other retail and dining options 15 min northwest in West Bend. Good luck and I am sure you will find it a very enjoyable part of the greater Milwaukee area!

Last edited by boomper; 03-27-2007 at 09:21 PM..

Old 03-27-2007, 08:31 PM

boomper, Thank you so much! that answered all of our questions and then some. the only thing we are worried about it a place to live. We would like to rent a home, but i dont think there are very many available in cedarburg. We are ok with living in a town house, if you know of any a name/phone #/web site would be greatly appreciated! i wouldnt really consider where we live small, our down town, yes its small not even 2 blocks however we have 3 big grocery stores, wal-mart, kmart, 3 mcdonalds, lowes, home depot, tons of restaurants and at least 10 or more gas stations. like i said there are there are 2 cities that are intertwining with each other. Cedarburg actually sounds like a small town to us. We are also wanting to know how the commute to milwaukee? is there alot of traffic in the morning and evenings? we have alot of people here that have some major road rage, how are the people of wisconsin about driving?

Old 03-27-2007, 08:46 PM

The commute to Milwaukee during rush hour is probably 30 minutes at the least. I am glad that the other poster was able to help you in regard to your retail question. I had not realized that Grafton had grown so much! I lived in that area during the 80's and living very west of Milwaukee now, I have obviously not kept up! Good luck! You will love the northern suburbs!

Old 03-27-2007, 09:14 PM

16 posts, read 73,951 times
I assume you are referring to downtown, if so the morning commute down should not be too bad until you get within a few miles of downtown with the exception of an accident on the freeway or bad weather. The return trip should be even better with the exception of the Bayshore area where I-43 becomes outdated and narrows from 3 lanes to 2. Getting out of downtown is surprisingly easy unless you are headed west. You should be looking at no more than 30-40 min each way on average which is not bad for a 25 mile commute. For Milwaukees size, traffic is not nearly the issue that it is in many other large cities. Compared to Chicago, our traffic congestion is nearly non-existent. As for the 'tudes of Wis drivers, with the exception of certain areas of the city itself, namely the north & northwest sides, drivers here are quite polite and actually drive kinda on the slow side. When a sign states a lane is closed ahead, 90% of people here will actually merge out of that lane at first chance, compared to the complete reverse in Illinois.

As for Cedarburg's size, its 2007 pop. was over 11k, so no Cedarburg itself is not huge, but it is part of a metropolitan area with over 1.5 mil. people. Like I said before, it is towards the outer fringes of suburbia and borders country to the west, but to the south and the northeast towards Port Washington, the area is pretty well developed suburbia and still growing. Needless to say though, Cedarburg definitely contains a small town atmosphere not present in many other Milwaukee area suburbs. I'm sorry to say that right now I unfortunately do not know of any houses for rent at this time. While I am not too familiar with housing up in that area, it does seem to me like Cedarburg is pretty much owner occupied single family housing, I could be wrong. I do know however that housing costs are rather pricey here due to the desirability of the community and the fact that Ozaukee county is either the most or one of the most affluent counties in the state of Wisconsin.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:00 AM

Sorry about that, yes i was referring to the downtown commute. We are actually coming from one more state down from illinois (MO ). Driving here love drive fast, just to slam on there breaks, they wait until the last minute to get over when there is lane closer, they cut you off, dont use blinkers and then they give you the middle finger like you did something wrong. i am glad to here the drivers in wisconsin are alot nicer. nothing like starting your day off with a bad commute. two more things i would like to ask, how is it getting a job? i will have to be finding a new job, were we live now i am the one thats has the 30 min commute would like to find something close to cedarburg. how is the job and pay there? cost of living is just a little more expensive then here in MO, also does anyone know of any good daycares in that early? all the info we have gotten has been so helpful, thank you so much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin