U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 04:45 PM

19 posts, read 75,244 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at relocating to Wisconsin for some time (about a year) and during that time I have visited the state and looked at many areas. My wife, four kids (18, 16, 11, and 3) and myself have narrowed it down to either La Crosse or Chippewa Falls.

Both areas are beautiful, have lots of family values, low unemployement and crime rates as well as a low cost of living and not really out in the sticks as some other areas of wisconsin.

Can anyone with some experience on either or both of these areas, give me a little more detail on what advantages one may have over the other? I am really on the fence with this one.

Thanks in advance!

--StormGod--
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 07:49 PM

653 posts, read 3,213,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormgod View Post
I have been looking at relocating to Wisconsin for some time (about a year) and during that time I have visited the state and looked at many areas. My wife, four kids (18, 16, 11, and 3) and myself have narrowed it down to either La Crosse or Chippewa Falls.

Both areas are beautiful, have lots of family values, low unemployement and crime rates as well as a low cost of living and not really out in the sticks as some other areas of wisconsin.

Can anyone with some experience on either or both of these areas, give me a little more detail on what advantages one may have over the other? I am really on the fence with this one.

Thanks in advance!

--StormGod--
I am familiar with both cities. Both are nice. Chippewa Falls has the advantage of being close to the "Twin Cities", if that means anything to you. Otherwise, in my opinion, La Crosse is the the best city in the state of Wisconsin. Beautifull location, friendly people, affordable housing, low crime, good schools, plentiful recreation, good transportation network, a vibrant downtown, responsible city government. Employment opportunities in La Crosse are somewhat limited however, as would be the same in C. Falls.Wish I could live in La Crosse myself!!

Old 03-27-2007, 08:30 PM

82 posts, read 386,535 times
We live in a community called Onalaska right outside of La Crosse (if you blink you might not realize your in a different town). Anyway, if you don't mind the winters, La Crosse is a great place to live. Nice receation, the river is 10 minutes away. There are a couple of beaches and pools. The education system is very good. Some parts of La Crosse are better than others. Be careful in choosing the neighborhoods you want to live in.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 9,252 times
Cool Curious about La Crosse too

Thank you GreggB for your answer re: La Crosse. It was very helpful and actually exciting to read.
I live in Madison and am considering a move to La Crosse simply to reduce my cost of living, rid myself of debt, and live in a vibrant area with a great downtown and all that you mention. I just visited last weekend and did notice one peculiar thing, however--not one house had any personal decorations/displays on them, in front of the, on the lawn, anywhere. It just seemed odd, especially coming from Madison. Also I wondered about the diversity and acceptance of gay/lesbian families. We are a multiracial same-sex family. I did notice that UW-LaCrosse was very supportive of alternative famlies and had a large GLBT contingent. We also have chickens in Madison and have done so much research, can't find a thing having to do with any ordinances in La Crosse. But more importantly I am just wondering what it would be like moving from Madison where I am situated in a nice eclectic (rather wild in looks) neighborhood where everyone knows everyone (not socially friends but potlucks, nice hellos--that kind of thing), to La Crosse where I would know one person (I have a friend who is moving there shortly), know nothing of it's neighborhoods and would, basically, be starting over again (albeit out of debt). Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:05 PM

"Alternative" Life Styles are accepted just fine in La Crosse. It will have a slightly more consevative atmosphere, as compared to Madison, but not by much. Living costs will be lower. I found folks there to be the friendliest in the state. As far as neighborhoods in La Crosse--yeah not exactly like Madison. Madison really runs the gamut on that one, while in La Crosse you will find more "standarization"--if you will. Not really a bad thing in my opinion. Having lived in both Appleton and La Crosse-La Crosse wins hands down. At some point in the future I am hoping to be able to move back there. Will be back in a heartbeat when that time comes. And as far as Downtown La Crosse is concerned, it is truly fantastic. Like so many other downtowns were like back in the 60s and 70s, before the advent of the "mall" and big box retailers.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:27 AM

80 posts, read 535,374 times
I would agree with GreggB on La Crosse. I grew up across the river in Winona, Minnesota. La Crosse is a great place.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 PM

And Winona is a real "Neat" place as well. Kinda a diamond in the ruff!!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:16 PM

203 posts, read 507,105 times
i was born and raised in lacrosse .recently i moved to las Vegas about a year and a half ago which makes me lacrosse allot. lacrosse is still great but the jobs in the area suck . low wages versus what they charge for rents . if lacrosse grow economically and offers better wages ill move back then.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 11,044 times
Default LaCrosse is goog

My children have went to LaCrosse Logan High School AND Central High School. I believe they both are very good schools, they are liked and well attended by atheletes, parents, sports, family oriented, and very involved with the community. Work can be had all over LaCrosse, it depends on your level and qualities of work education and ethics you have. I choose to live in Sparta (a town away from LaCrosse). We are getting an ethonal plant here, they give away land in the Industrial Park (we are still small). We have Fort McCoy (by Sparta), lots of things to do.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,404 times
If I had to choose one it would be Chippewa Falls. We moved to Madison 7 months ago due to a promotion. We went home for Christmas and decided then that we are moving back to Chippewa Falls. We all love the people we work with but miss the nice community of Chippewa Falls. The community in Chippewa Falls is nicer and more easy going than Madison. Since I work with public on a daily basis, it seems that alot of the people in Madison are more rude than those in Chippewa Falls. Alot of people in Madison also seem to think they deserve something for nothing. The atmosphere in Chippewa Falls is more like family. But I guess this is just my opinion. The schools and ciriculuum are better than Madison. My 5th grader came home one day to tell me that a girl in her class got suspended for fighting. What??? That never happened at my daughter's school in Chippewa Falls. My childrens grades were better when we lived in CF. There is more room (ie.. yard) for you to live (unless of course you live in an apartment in downtown), the price of rent is less than Madison and your neighbors are friendly , like family in CF. Also, if you like to go fishing, camping or tubing down the Chippewa River Chippewa is the place to be. You are less than 3 minutes from the river, depending on where you live. Lake Holcombe is close enough as well as other places to camp and fish. The city of Eau Claire (UW-Eau Claire) is so close you won't even know you left Chippewa Falls. I moved to Madison making the same wages as Chippewa Falls, but had and increase in rent when we moved to Madison. Not to mention you don't have to deal with the rush hour traffic on the belt line in CF. The just built a beautiful bypass that eliminates the need of driving straight through town. It takes less than 10 minutes to get to Eau Claire and Interstate highway 94. There is also a drive in Theater about 15 minutes away that opens in the summer and is very inexpensive. We also have many skatboarding parks and a roller skating rink that has activites for children on the days they have off of school. Not to mention all the concerts in the summer. Rock Fest, Rock Jam, Country Fest and Country Jam. The Renaissance Faire is also in CF. In my opinion , there are many many more reason than the ones above to move to Chippewa Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin