U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:18 PM

221 posts, read 1,109,172 times

Advertisements

HI! I started this thread in the Milwaukee sub-forum, and it got some great conversation going! Wonderful to hear so many thoughts on the topic!

I got to thinking that this topic really should be posted in the general forum, so I've decided to post it here, too -- esp. to give a chance for those who don't visit the sub-forums to chime on in.

So...
Do you live in Wisconsin to be near to family but hate the winter weather? Is it worth it to you? Is being near family so important to you that you're willing to deal with the winters?

Or have you ever lived in Wisconsin to be near to family but then left for a warmer climate because you just couldn't take the winters anymore? How do you feel now that you've left?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 03:16 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,315,965 times
I'm kind of there with you, I want to leave more every year because of winter but haven't yet. One big reason is family. If it was just me, I'd go! But now I'd be taking my small kids away from grandparents and that's what is difficult. Besides, the place I want to go (CA) is pretty messed up anyway.

So my answer is I have stayed because of family, but it gets harder every year.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:37 PM

620 posts, read 1,704,457 times
I second yo! Put very well. I have an elderly mother here and brother in CA and can't leave her; she really needs me - was widowed 30 years ago and I've always been there for her.Years ago I would have liked to go to CA as well but now glad I didn't because of what it's become. I think the key is leaving when you're young because with each passing year it gets harder. I definitely would leave (down the road) if my daughter left after college (only have l child); it would be hard to have her go out of state. I'll just have to see what happens.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:53 PM

137 posts, read 268,287 times
Well I know my situation is different but I'll share anyways. I moved to Milwaukee in '05 for a fantastic job, working for the Brewers. Absolutely loved it and it's still my favorite. But ultimately, this Southerner had as much as he could handle from old man winter. It was a very tough decision and I'll always enjoy my time w/ the Crew. What a great organization. Winter though, just relentless. Course I'm from the South so think what you wanna...just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:26 AM

324 posts, read 1,438,367 times
not sure if i posted in the other one BUT: was single when i moved to florida in & would do it again...born & raised for most of my life in WI...the winters got to me...sister was in sc by then & parents moved to nc not long after i moved...

Old 04-09-2009, 06:44 AM

3,930 posts, read 9,659,947 times
we just left Wi for SC a couple months ago; lifelong residents who just could not handle the winters anymore. Being younger empty-nesters, we wanted to be able to enjoy more things then we could back home. We do not ski, snowmobile, hate snow/cold, etc and ended up hibernating each winter.
The toughest part was leaving our adult daughter behind ( her choice ); and do what we can to remain in frequent contact ( web cam, etc ) and travel back every 2-3 months for visiting. We also have siblings in WI, but while close we didn't get together that often--after all everyone has families with their own needs and things to do.
So family is important to us, but when we had the opportunity to venture out we had to take it. No regrets down here...

Old 04-09-2009, 07:33 AM

12,781 posts, read 12,585,089 times
I didn't move far from Illinois to Wisconsin so not a weather issue but I never would have moved when my father was still alive I lived just blocks from him. After my mom was gone, he did o.k. but it was hard for him.

I have a sister in Michigan and one in Iowa, 3 hrs. from one and 5 or so from the other. No kids, nephews and a niece in Iowa. I don't mind the weather and like knowing I can get to family in hours instead of a day.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 AM

375 posts, read 1,237,902 times
We don't have family here, although some of the friends we made have become like family. We love winter and when we were looking to relocate we wanted a place with lots of snow. We love to ski, snow shoe etc. We have been a little disappointed that the snow melts so fast. We have been here 2 years and have had about 2.5 months of snow activites. We lived in upstate New York and New Hampshire and we would have about 3-4 months, depending on the winter of snow sports.
We plan to stay because we can't live without winter. I have lived in places with milder winters and we hated it.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,315,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
we just left Wi for SC a couple months ago; lifelong residents who just could not handle the winters anymore. Being younger empty-nesters, we wanted to be able to enjoy more things then we could back home. We do not ski, snowmobile, hate snow/cold, etc and ended up hibernating each winter.
The toughest part was leaving our adult daughter behind ( her choice ); and do what we can to remain in frequent contact ( web cam, etc ) and travel back every 2-3 months for visiting. We also have siblings in WI, but while close we didn't get together that often--after all everyone has families with their own needs and things to do.
So family is important to us, but when we had the opportunity to venture out we had to take it. No regrets down here...
You say no regrets (which I'm glad to hear). But do you think you'd feel the same way if you moved away when your kids were still small? That's my big hang-up - mine are 5 and 3 and I'd hate to make them grow up without grandma just because Dad is sick of shoveling snow...

Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 PM

115 posts, read 753,096 times
I was born and raised here and it is family and friends keeping us here. I think if my wife and I didn't have kids we would strongly consider moving but it is hard to leave when our entire lives are here. The kids absolutely love the snow and we have learned to enjoy it along with them. They would really miss their grandparents and other friends if we went somewhere far away. This is the only time of the year (March-April) when the weather gets difficult to deal with. It is too warm for winter fun but too cold to do anything useful outside. The rest of the seasons all have something to enjoy about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin