Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,780,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Jeez, be more of a drama queen.

Those of us who live in non-smoking states have heard all the arguments before- business will go down (it doesn't), people will smoke anyway(they don't), this is the beginning of more rights taken away(it's not)...
Well, I live in one of the non-smoking states you're referring to. I've personally witnessed how business has gone down (a friend of mine lost her job because of it), how some are defying the ban, and it absolutely is an abrogation of property rights.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:52 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,286,324 times
I don't know if a smoking ban will or will not force businesses to downsize or close, but I detect a not-so-implicit argument on this board that a smoking ban ought to be rejected in order to help businesses stay afloat. This sounds a little like the argument that we need to spend more money than ever in order to keep the consumer economy chugging along during tough times. The fact is, businesses come and go, and if some problems occur due to the smoking ban (for example), some opportunities will eventually rise from the ashes (so to speak).

Old 05-18-2009, 09:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,780,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
I don't know if a smoking ban will or will not force businesses to downsize or close, but I detect a not-so-implicit argument on this board that a smoking ban ought to be rejected in order to help businesses stay afloat. This sounds a little like the argument that we need to spend more money than ever in order to keep the consumer economy chugging along during tough times. The fact is, businesses come and go, and if some problems occur due to the smoking ban, some opportunities will eventually rise from the ashes (so to speak).
Let them eat cake.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:10 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,286,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Let them eat cake.
Or let them learn how to make cake?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:30 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,796,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Oh puleeeez. What dribble.

The great thing about democracy in the U.S. is that legislation reflects the will of the majority. The majority of people in the U.S. are non-smokers. The majority of non-smokers want your pervasive and nasty cigarette smoke out of our lives. The majority speaks, and the majority makes legislation.

Hey...if you can't beat 'em, why not join 'em?
Non-Smokers are an 80% majority of the general U.S population, However smokers make up the vast majority of bar customers. Smokers are just far more likely to be bar people period, banning smoking will not bring in a sizeable amount of new non-smoking customers, it will just anger the existing customer base.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:28 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,989,485 times
Hey people, prostitution is illegal too. So what about prostitutes rights? Why not legalize prostitution?

And for that matter, how about legalizing all drugs?

Geez....where does it end with you people and your paranoia of losing your "rights"?

Americans do NOT have the right to live "free-for-all" lives without giving a care in the world to the safety and well-being of others. Laws and legislation are enacted for the overall public good. But as is always the case, not all laws suit all people's personal tastes and/or beliefs. But MOST laws represent the will of the majority.

Get over it. If you're a smoker, either quit or get used to not smoking in public places. If you're not a smoker, get over your paranoia about the government taking over your lives.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 AM

709 posts, read 654,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Hey people, prostitution is illegal too. So what about prostitutes rights? Why not legalize prostitution?

And for that matter, how about legalizing all drugs?

Geez....where does it end with you people and your paranoia of losing your "rights"?

Americans do NOT have the right to live "free-for-all" lives without giving a care in the world to the safety and well-being of others. Laws and legislation are enacted for the overall public good. But as is always the case, not all laws suit all people's personal tastes and/or beliefs. But MOST laws represent the will of the majority.

Get over it. If you're a smoker, either quit or get used to not smoking in public places. If you're not a smoker, get over your paranoia about the government taking over your lives.
Prostitution? Drugs? Works for me...government doesn't need to be injecting itself into how I choose to live my life. I don't need the government to legislate my morality, I don't need the government to protect me, and I damned sure don't need the government to take care of me.

It's called being an adult. At one time in this country, that was highly regarded. Unfortunately, uppity people like you decided you could tell all of us what to do and how to do it.

Here's a newsflash for you: I don't give a flying **** who you are; you and your asinine laws mean nothing to me. I will continue to thumb my nose at people like you, and I will continue to disregard your edicts on what I can and cannot do, say, or think.

I'm done. If you can't see the point, after it being clearly laid out several times in plain language, you never will. Your shrill cries of "the public good" are far outweighed by the REAL supreme law of this land, and it will win out in the end.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:46 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,129,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post

Here's a newsflash for you: I don't give a flying **** who you are; you and your asinine laws mean nothing to me.
They do, you won't smoke in bars and restaurants.

Only twenty percent of the US smokes and 81 percent want to quit (I suspect the other 19 percent are liars). Basically, smokers are people with no willpower or discipline. You are tough talkers on internet boards, but you are actually weaklings who can't give up your nicotine. These laws are staying and will continue to get worse and worse, if you want to be in the whiny minority keep smoking. Why not take this opportunity to just suck it up once and for all. People who ride in elevators won't make faces at each other when you get in. Wouldn't that be nice?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:04 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,576,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Basically, smokers are people with no willpower or discipline. You are tough talkers on internet boards, but you are actually weaklings who can't give up your nicotine.
Could this thread die now??? Enough already!!!!??????

Old 05-19-2009, 12:29 PM

14,287 posts, read 14,535,197 times
For once I agree, it needs to be closed, enough said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin