Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 06:28 PM

18 posts, read 15,153 times

Advertisements

What do people think about Wisconsin's law that companies don't have to give breaks AND that apparently there is a new law that says they don't even have to give a day off in every 7 days?!! What is this all about? People don't enjoy family time, a day off to do errands or just to chill!?! Why are these laws allowed to pass?

I worked for a call center that only allowed a 10 minute break the whole 8 hour work day. I've lived in states in the midwest ,including Indiana and Ohio and never DIDN'T get the regular 2 ten minute breaks and a half hour lunch. So it's a little astounding. And been proven that people that get breaks work more and produce more. So what the heck?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 01:05 PM

26,772 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guil View Post
What do people think about Wisconsin's law that companies don't have to give breaks AND that apparently there is a new law that says they don't even have to give a day off in every 7 days?!! What is this all about? People don't enjoy family time, a day off to do errands or just to chill!?! Why are these laws allowed to pass?

I worked for a call center that only allowed a 10 minute break the whole 8 hour work day. I've lived in states in the midwest ,including Indiana and Ohio and never DIDN'T get the regular 2 ten minute breaks and a half hour lunch. So it's a little astounding. And been proven that people that get breaks work more and produce more. So what the heck?!?
Astounding? Hey what can I tell you)))
It's an open season in Wisconsin. The money bags ("employers" that is,) are free to do whatever they are pleased to squeeze every drop of blood and sweat from you - you are the fair game now.
If it wasn't bad enough under Tommy Thomson ( they used to refer to things you've mentioned as "good work ethics" in Wisconsin earlier,) watch what's coming with someone like Walker.

Wisconsin may eliminate ban on 7-day work weeks | MSNBC

Old 07-13-2015, 02:50 AM

This is the bill I was referring to. Why is no one upset and protest? Tell them you don't agree with it!

And why don't Wisconsinites do something about the ridiculous no law on mandated breaks?

I don't live there anymore. But keep an eye on things and I would like to move back someday. Which is why I would like to move back and not have outrageous work laws.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:39 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
take up smoking, they get an unlimited amount of breaks less they freak out on a caller asking what their bank balance is at

Old 07-13-2015, 08:32 PM

26,772 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guil View Post
This is the bill I was referring to. Why is no one upset and protest? Tell them you don't agree with it!

And why don't Wisconsinites do something about the ridiculous no law on mandated breaks?

I don't live there anymore. But keep an eye on things and I would like to move back someday. Which is why I would like to move back and not have outrageous work laws.
I simply don't think that too many people are taking note or are aware of it.

Democrats fail to remove 7-day work week plan | News - Channel3000.com

7-day work weeks are now a thing in Wisconsin

Old 07-14-2015, 01:39 PM

I assumed that. That's why unfortunately this state gets the sh#t end of the it when it comes to a lot.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:56 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,885,691 times
Ain't amount of work, and working conditions themselves part of negotiations between you and your employer? Why do we need government to tell us how long we got to work, or how often we're supposed to take breaks? You don't like crappy environment, 7/24 working week, or low salary? Find another job, it's a free country and slavery is long abolished here.

"A right is not what someone gives you, its what no one can take away from you"

Old 07-14-2015, 02:30 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Ain't amount of work, and working conditions themselves part of negotiations between you and your employer? Why do we need government to tell us how long we got to work, or how often we're supposed to take breaks? You don't like crappy environment, 7/24 working week, or low salary? Find another job, it's a free country and slavery is long abolished here.

"A right is not what someone gives you, its what no one can take away from you"

If you had any knowledge of the history of this country (mills, mines, company towns, etc) you'd know exactly why government is needed for these things. Especially now since the right to fraternize as we choose and negotiate is being attacked endlessly.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:51 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,885,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you had any knowledge of the history of this country (mills, mines, company towns, etc) you'd know exactly why government is needed for these things. Especially now since the right to fraternize as we choose and negotiate is being attacked endlessly.
I do have some. And I agree that one needs to be able to fight for his salary and decent conditions. My way of fighting it, is changing employers Strike (whether sanctioned, or not), and there are many forms of strikes too, is another good one. Smoking breaks rule

I just think that government by creating those rules forces employers to hire illegals for cash, or not hire anyone at all. I've been business owner myself.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:18 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
I do have some. And I agree that one needs to be able to fight for his salary and decent conditions. My way of fighting it, is changing employers Strike (whether sanctioned, or not), and there are many forms of strikes too, is another good one. Smoking breaks rule

I just think that government by creating those rules forces employers to hire illegals for cash, or not hire anyone at all. I've been business owner myself.

Not everyone has the ability to change employers when things get bad. You and I are fortunate that we can. And you should well know then, having been as business owner (as I have been), it isn't like businesses don't collaborate on certain practices... they compete, but they also very often are in cahouts with each other. Sadly government has been horrible about pursuing such illegal actions. That's what happens when both parties are owned by big money. It is the least fortunate among us that needs protections the most. I'll be fine.

And if anything, a 7 work week will cut the hiring of more people, and if a company is so egregiously on edge that having a proper lunch break, or 15 min break, will cause them to go to hiring undocumented workers, then those aren't good corporate citizens and they should be prosecuted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin