Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times

Advertisements

I believe the county is #1 in the nation for organic farming (Wisconsin is #2 overall). Nearby Organic Valley is the largest cooperative of organic farmers in the United States. So yes!

Often you hear about a small restaurant in the middle of nowhere that's "as good as the best ones in Milwaukee/Chicago." This is almost always untrue. The Driftless Café in Viroqua is actually an excellent restaurant as good as many of the better ones in my Milwaukee neighborhood. Farm fresh local/seasonal creativity without any pretention. A couple months ago my girlfriend and I decided to get up early on a Saturday and take the scenic drive over to the Driftless Café for lunch. Much recommended. Don't think I could live there, though, as beautiful as the area is and the fact that there are a few city amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 AM

33 posts, read 98,778 times
You don't think you could live there? Too rural? I'm concerned about that too. But I prefer rural. Although it's nice to have some retail therapy options. I'm hoping that's where LaCrosse comes in. I actually don't shop much and would rather have land to tinker, and putter about on, and a small like minded community to be involved in or near, than all the entertainment and shopping I can't afford anyway in a large, sweltering, over crowded, traffic fume nightmare. Like Atlanta metro, where I live now. I grew up in Oshkosh though, so I understand the climate. I feel like Viroqua is calling to me, but is it just the Siren's song?

Last edited by Fuscia; 08-22-2013 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 AM

45 posts, read 92,650 times
What is the distance from LaCrosse to Viroqua? I wouldn't mind living in between those two towns.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:44 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuscia View Post
You don't think you could live there? Too rural? I'm concerned about that too. But I prefer rural. Although it's nice to have some retail therapy options. I'm hoping that's where LaCrosse comes in. I actually don't shop much and would rather have land to tinker, and putter about on, and a small like minded community to be involved in or near, than all the entertainment and shopping I can't afford anyway in a large, sweltering, over crowded, traffic fume nightmare. Like Atlanta metro, where I live now. I grew up in Oshkosh though, so I understand the climate. I feel like Viroqua is calling to me, but is it just the Siren's song?
Well, there's no such thing as "too rural" in terms of land for me, but I'd have to live closer to a real city than that. La Crosse would probably be fine for you, it's not all that different from Oshkosh in terms of amenities. The problem is that Minneapolis is 3 1/2 hours away from Viroqua. Milwaukee is over 3 hours away. Chicago even further. Madison almost qualifies (for me), but not quite, and even then it's over 2 hours away. It's really "out there." If that sounds good, then go for it! Gorgeous region of the country surrounding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin