Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:25 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,048 times

Advertisements

I moved to Tulsa, Ok March 2008 for a job. I had been laid off for 5 months and was just never "good enough" for any company in the metro Milwaukee area. I also hated the seemingly endless gloomy winters, poor social climate, and employer attitudes in the area. I'm loving Tulsa, awesome weather, genuinely friendly folks, less expensive housing costs. At first I was a bit concerned about all the "bible thumpers" people warned me about, but so far no one has ever pushed my on it. Here the Christians actually walk the walk, as opposed to SE WI "Christians" that go to church sundays then look down their noses at the "little people" the other six days.
I DO however, miss my SO dearly, as she cannot join me here for family reasons, she made having to live in WI worth it and she is the reason I'll be returning to WI soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetohope View Post
Thank you all for your response! We are moving in large part because of the weather and also because I would like a place with more diversity. I love meeting people from various parts of the world, of different backgrounds and ethnicities. Then there is the various foods and culture it sort of brings to the mix. Living in Green Bay I feel like I am not getting that and I tired of complaining about it for years, so I finally convinced my husband who was born and raised in WI to move. It is difficult to leave family behind and our newly built home etc, but I am sort of suffocating here.

I looked at Portland and Seattle and they sounded like they could fit the crtiteria for what I was looking for, but then I heard about the depression that sets in during their long, gray winters (which I still think I would take over frezzing cold and snow). That coupled with a tough job market makes me think twice. Especially with the way the economy is right now...I am not sure.

I looked at Spokane, WA as well and it seemed great, but it looked pretty isolated from other big cities. Is that so, or is it just my impression?

Denver, CO sounded good also, but I heard they get quite a bit of snow too. Plus, looking at the houses around there...wow...so expensive...Are there any suburbs that are more feasible..Does it snow a lot? How does it compare to WI?

Thank you again for your input!
Colorado Springs is quite a bit cheaper to live than Denver...lower property taxes and lower housing prices.

We don't get nearly the amount of snow that Wisconsin gets, but we do get a few good storms each year. The good part is that the snow melts very fast here and the roads are usually dry within a day or two after a storm.

Lastly...lot's of sunny days here as well...over 300 on average, yearly.

I wish you the best!

Old 06-10-2009, 03:44 PM

221 posts, read 1,195,097 times
Quote:
I looked at Spokane, WA as well and it seemed great, but it looked pretty isolated from other big cities. Is that so, or is it just my impression?
Yes, Spokane is far from other big cities, but you never really think of it when you live there. It's a wonderful city with so much to offer, and there are other nice-sized cities close by. If you go to the Spokane forum you'll see a number of my posts regarding the wonderful city. I love it there. It's just a really neat city.

Where I live now, in the Boise area, is definitely far from other cities, and there's virtually no water. I feel land-locked here. Eastern Washington has a lot of lakes everywhere, and so does Northern Idaho, plus you're only a day's drive from the ocean. You're not too far from Montana or Oregon or Canada, which all have great things to offer, too.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:46 PM

54 posts, read 174,262 times
Thank you! I looked at some of the posts for CS and it does sound like a beautiful place. I read on some of the posts that jobs are hard to come by. I will have to look more into it!

Old 06-10-2009, 03:55 PM

54 posts, read 174,262 times
I read some of the Spokane posts...probably some of yours also...it sounds like everyone loves it...the only thing people are lamenting about is the lack of Trader Joe's...if that's the only problem with Spokane, then it is definitely going on my wish list. Anything you can tell me about the job market?

Old 06-10-2009, 04:20 PM

221 posts, read 1,195,097 times
I don't know true facts about the job market in Spokane, but I do know good-paying jobs have always tended to be difficult to come by. You can probably find more factual info on the job market there by browsing the Spokane forum or just googling.

I do know that hospital and college/university employment is huge there because there are so many of them...and so many good ones!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:35 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,614,526 times
Interesting posts, helpful, I think. Good luck in your search, I would think the job issue might be a stumbling block, with the economy and all! Hopefully not if you are convinced you need to move!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:46 PM

164 posts, read 559,370 times
I grew up in Milwaukee & spent 8 years in Madison as well. Now we're in Minnesota & wanting to come back home to WI. I know the two states are very similar, but this place has not grown on me at all. Day to day life is so bland here (yes, compared to Wisc) and some of the people I've encountered are noticeably disrespectful, especially to property rights. Small things, like only serving 3.2 beer in confined tents at certain festivals, bother me here. There are no church festivals every weekend with good food, mediocre bands & cups of beer that can go anywhere like in WI. The few festivals they have here are very...subdued. Anyway, it's just not our style. Can't wait to go back home.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:01 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Denver, CO sounded good also, but I heard they get quite a bit of snow too. Plus, looking at the houses around there...wow...so expensive...Are there any suburbs that are more feasible..Does it snow a lot? How does it compare to WI?

Thank you again for your input!
Colorado doesn't compare to Wisconsin in my opinion. While the Front Range gets significantly less snow than anywhere in Wisconsin, it's much less predictable. It almost seems as though the worst storms in Colorado happen during April and May, long after Wisconsin has stopped getting snow all together. Colorado is very dry and brown for a majority of the year, with most of the green coming in late May and early June. After that, it gets too hot and everything goes dormant. The cost of living in Colorado is pretty outrageous, especially considering jobs don't have higher salaries than they do in Wisconsin.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:30 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,761 times
You may want to check out NC. We left WI 4 years ago. Lived in NJ for a year. Then moved to the Raleigh area for 3 years. There are tons of transplants in that area. Winters are mild. It still get cold, but it snows maybe once or twice, and even that melts within a day or two. Spring and fall are great, summers are hot and humid. The area is very diverse, housing is affordable and taxes are fairly low. The beach is 2 hours away, mountains about 3 hours. I know tons of people who love it there. We recently moved to Maine due to hubby's work. We're happy to be back in a "real" 4 season area, since we have really missed snow since leaving WI. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin