Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:43 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times

Advertisements

My grandma had one on the couch and one on the chair. Always felt "nice", the itchy fabric in summer, and never keeping you warm in winter due to all the holes ( in the designs )... But it was grandma's so that meant something.

Also, growing up in Milwaukee in the 60's/ early 70's, I remember going to the old Sentry stores for some fresh cruellers in the bakery. I can close my eyes and still remember that taste.

Things we miss down here we had in WI? cheese curds ( duh ), and Culvers frozen custard. I could see one of those down here, on a hot summer day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
What about an afghan, it was like a blanket or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Wow, I didn't realize so many people would have so much to contribute to the subject! I love afghans, so interesting.

Anyone else have anything they could share?

Old 07-01-2009, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,848 times
I grew up on the south side of Milwaukee. A typical sentence may go something like this. Da porch is a better place for dat bubbler, not the frunchroom aina?
We had afghans.
Does anyone remember a guy that would push a cart and sharpen knives and repair things? The cart had a particular bell that I can remember to this day kinda " blink- blonk". He was still going around in the 70's when I was a kid.
How about Albert the alley cat, Howard and Rosemary Gurnette, dialing for dollars, Leon's frozen custard.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:59 PM

90 posts, read 328,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Cheese curds are definitely unique to Wisconsin and I've never seen pizza burgers anywhere besides here either

Seymour, Wisconsin claims to be the "Home of the Hamburger"

I remember using the phrase "a horse a piece" when I lived out in Colorado and nobody had any idea what the hell I was talking about

Wisconsin pizza is pretty unique, it's thinner than NY style and really crispy almost like a saltine cracker
Sorry, cheese curds are not unique to Wisconsin. They are popular in other dairy states.

Some of the house mentions are frequently used elsewhere as well, front room, afghan, vanity, especially Great Lakes states. Bubbler is different because it was a brand name from Wisconsin and has been treated like Kleenex is nationally.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
From what I can tell, butter burgers seem to be a Wisconsin thing.

I've never had a "Packer Roll" at a sushi bar in Wisconsin, but perhaps that's another state original?

Wisconsin, of course, is bratwurst central in the United States (and Sheboygan is the epicenter). Isn't there some kind of unique cake that comes from Sheboygan?

However, many of the things often considered unique to Wisconsin are in fact found in some other places....

Buffalo, NY is a major place for fish fries all year 'round, though they don't have perch and walleye like we do in Wisconsin. Wisconsin and Western New York are the only places I know of that have made the year-round fish fry a local tradition, though it's possible Erie, PA also does the fish fry thing.

Buffalo also has frozen custard, though Wisconsin seems to have more of a "flavors of the day" tradition. Wisconsin (via Culvers) has done more to popularize custard across the midwest, though.

I've read that the thin, cracker-crust pizza of Wisconsin is really a variant of a thin, cracker-crust style that came from Chicago, but even if that's the case, Wisconsin has done more to make that style of pizza its own.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Buffalo, NY is a major place for fish fries all year 'round, though they don't have perch and walleye like we do in Wisconsin. Wisconsin and Western New York are the only places I know of that have made the year-round fish fry a local tradition, though it's possible Erie, PA also does the fish fry thing.
Quite a few fish fry tradition going strong in Michigan as well.

Actually I most remember it being connected to the Catholic Church. You can't eat meat for lent during the Easter holidays, so the Catholic Church offered fish fry Fridays, and then it seemed to extend outward from there - I recall it being in my public school system as well, a Friday event during the Lent holidays.

Being that much of that region was settled by a lot of Catholics - Irish, Polish, etc...perhaps an overall regional thing.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:40 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Quite a few fish fry tradition going strong in Michigan as well.

Actually I most remember it being connected to the Catholic Church. You can't eat meat for lent during the Easter holidays, so the Catholic Church offered fish fry Fridays, and then it seemed to extend outward from there - I recall it being in my public school system as well, a Friday event during the Lent holidays.

Being that much of that region was settled by a lot of Catholics - Irish, Polish, etc...perhaps an overall regional thing.
I'm Catholic too. I don't live in WI, but I got the idea from Wisconsin/Buffalo culture to fry fish on Fridays during lent. Love it alot.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
From what I can tell, butter burgers seem to be a Wisconsin thing.

I've never had a "Packer Roll" at a sushi bar in Wisconsin, but perhaps that's another state original?

Wisconsin, of course, is bratwurst central in the United States (and Sheboygan is the epicenter). Isn't there some kind of unique cake that comes from Sheboygan?

However, many of the things often considered unique to Wisconsin are in fact found in some other places....

Buffalo also has frozen custard, though Wisconsin seems to have more of a "flavors of the day" tradition. Wisconsin (via Culvers) has done more to popularize custard across the midwest, though.

I've read that the thin, cracker-crust pizza of Wisconsin is really a variant of a thin, cracker-crust style that came from Chicago, but even if that's the case, Wisconsin has done more to make that style of pizza its own.
What is a packer roll?

My father told me about a pizza place in Milwaukee called Giuseppe's.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:57 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
My co-worker and I were talking this morning and his brother is up in Alaska for the pipeline. They were asking him about cheese curds. These guys up there thought that they would be gross. I guess they don't know what they're missing.lol

Old 07-02-2009, 01:16 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Here's one I can tell on myself:

Being from the coastal SE- where I grew-up you had to ask for an "Irish potato" if you didn't want to get a sweet potato when you said "potato", and not being a cheese eater (to this day, I only know two types of the stuff- white and yellow) I had a moment of culture shock when my wife's family (solid Wisconsinites) starting eating "Cheese curds", something I had never encountered in trips to Africa, S. America or the Bahamas.

So, they're eating this stuff which I decline, but I scope-in on the way it looks and think, "This (the looks of it, coupled with what I thought it was called) has gotta be a joke."

About two weeks later I'm shopping with wife & her mom (in Marchants, Brussels, Wi.) when my wife tells me to go to the counter and order some more of it.

So, I promptly went up to the little rolly-poly matron behind the counter and said, "I'd like to get some "Cheese Turds."

'Cause that's what they looked like to me, and that's what I thought my inlaws were calling them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin