Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 25,660 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm from Nebraska and we're moving to Bristol in just 10 days. We're so excited. I'm a stay at home mom and we have two boys. Ages 3 and 10. Have a bunch of questions and would love some native input.

What are some of your favorite local places to eat in the area?

Are there any other great furniture places besides Ashley's and Steinhaffles. (pardon my horrid spelling... it's close, right?)

Any wonderful sites and fun places we should not miss out on? (family oriented?)

What to do for the 4th of July? My hubby will be off by 5 and we have no plans!

How do I get my son signed up for football in the fall? Bristol does not have it, and I heard something about a "bulldog" league? Anyone know where that is?

Is it too late to sign my 10yr old up for baseball? Didn't know if your season started later since your schools get out later than ours.

Are there any swimming pools or splash pads in the area of Bristol or Kenosha? Our townhome development is new and does not have their pool facilities built yet.

Sorry for so many questions. We are so pumped to move up to such a gorgeous area. The town I live in now has only 237 people. (how much more rural in rural nebraska can you get!) Heck, we're blown away at all the choices at our beck and call.

Any input, advice, or recomendations would be welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 10,212 times
Default Just moved to the Bristol/Paddock Lake area June 13th

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalayney View Post
Hey everyone. I'm from Nebraska and we're moving to Bristol in just 10 days. We're so excited. I'm a stay at home mom and we have two boys. Ages 3 and 10. Have a bunch of questions and would love some native input.

What are some of your favorite local places to eat in the area?

Are there any other great furniture places besides Ashley's and Steinhaffles. (pardon my horrid spelling... it's close, right?)

Any wonderful sites and fun places we should not miss out on? (family oriented?)

What to do for the 4th of July? My hubby will be off by 5 and we have no plans!

How do I get my son signed up for football in the fall? Bristol does not have it, and I heard something about a "bulldog" league? Anyone know where that is?

Is it too late to sign my 10yr old up for baseball? Didn't know if your season started later since your schools get out later than ours.

Are there any swimming pools or splash pads in the area of Bristol or Kenosha? Our townhome development is new and does not have their pool facilities built yet.

Sorry for so many questions. We are so pumped to move up to such a gorgeous area. The town I live in now has only 237 people. (how much more rural in rural nebraska can you get!) Heck, we're blown away at all the choices at our beck and call.

Any input, advice, or recomendations would be welcomed.
Hi there,

I just HAD to respond to your post. I was so excited to see someone who is just moving here. I see it is now the 2nd. So, you must be here now. I just moved here from Virginia Beach, VA. However, my two kids (ages 15, 13) have been here in Bristol, WI with their dad for the 3 years. We were in VA Beach for the Navy. My hubby just retired after twenty years. we love it here. I, actually live in Paddock Lake, which is 3 minutes from Bristol. I can tell you yes, Bulldogs is the youth tackle football program. I had been on the board for our youth tackle program for three years in Oswego, IL and I hear this is a great program. I am actually going to head on over and see if they need any volunteers there. I don't know yet about pools here. But there are so many beautiful lakes right in your backyard to choose from you may not need one. LOL! My kids are with their dad for a vacation up north until Sat. But if I hear back from you, I will be glad to ask my kids all about the info you are asking. They are very familiar with the area and full of info.
As for the 4th of July, I know there are tons of stuff going on. Have you checked out Summerfest in Milwaukee? It's amazing this year. It's the biggest thing going this summer. Also, I know Kenosha is having something too. Check out the local grocery stores for those little papers in the front of the store. They are full of information. And are free.
This is getting long. So, I will close for now. Hope to hear back from you.
Tracey

Old 07-07-2009, 06:25 PM

Awesome! We've been here almost a week and I adore the location of Bristol. I mean, we're min. from everything! The shopping... the food... and I notice I gravitate towards Antioch and Gurnee. (love the mall there. wow)

Let me know any info on the bulldog league. My 10yr old can't wait for football to start. Right now we're looking for a decent local pool with a nice toddler section. (my 3yr old is a maniac. LOL, so lake water terrifies me) ... I'm thinking paddock lake has a pool?

I just feel a bit bad for my 10 yr old as it's hard to meet new friends in the summer when you're new. I told him it all takes time!

Thanks for the hints of the local papers... and congrats on moving to the area too! If you have any favorites places you have found... let me know! I heard the restaurant in Bristol (something 45) is a good place to eat and so is the Little Red School house. Which is on the same highway. We'll try those out soon! And when I get a day to myself, I'll try and find some scrapbook stores. They have a big one in the mall a Gurnee but also lookin for other ones. And the plant markets are everywhere here. I'm in heaven!

So tell me what you do for fun Tracy!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:10 PM

9 posts, read 30,514 times
Hi there Delayney!

I'm so glad you are happy in Bristol! I spent the first 19 years of my life in Ingleside, IL which is just past Antioch. Then I moved to Salem, WI and lived there for 2 years, and now we live in Madison, WI.

SO I spent a lot of time in that area, so I know of some things for you!

Restaurants/Bars:
+The Stagestop, in Wilmot off of County Rd C, by the post office. This is a restaurant that you should go to with your husband, alone, once you find a babysitter for the kids. They have steak and baked potatoes, which are really great. They have the BEST strawberry daiquiris, too!
+La Cabana, in Paddock Lake, right by the Shell gas station (if my memory serves me right!): They have GREAT tostadas! If you like Mexican food, check this place out! It's cute, I like it there a lot.
+Dog N Suds: a drive in, where car hops wait on you and bring your food to the car. Kind of neat. There are a few- one in Ingleside (pretty much the ONLY thing ingleside has to offer, other than a post office, the lake county forest preserve and a post office!) and the other is in Richmond, IL. Both sort of far from Bristol, but if you are bored, why not.

Shops:
+Pollyanna's: Wilmot, right by the Stagestop restaurant, kind of hidden behind the BP gas station: REALLY great little boutique, she has lots of good stuff here! Check it out especially before the holidays.
+Scrapbooking: So there is a place (or was about a year ago, i don't know if it's still there) on Rt 83, past Antioch, on the right. I can't remember what it's called, but there used to be one.
+Prime Outlets: You already discovered Gurnee Mills, and there is an outlet mall in Kenosha, too. Not as big, and it's and outdoor type mall. It's right by 94 and 50.
+There is a candy shop on Main St in Antioch- I love their candy!!!

Nature:
+In Antioch, there is a neat little nature area. Go downtown, behind the buidlings. There are some woods past the parking lot and the entrance is to the left. Check it out.

Entertainment:
So, there isn't a whole lot going on in that area, but from what I recall, here is what we used to do:
+Diaryland Greyhound Track. In Kenosha. Google it for directions.
+Outdoor Theater: There are 2 of them. I've only been to the one in McHenry IL, since that's close to where I grew up. But they are fun for the kids! The other one is somewhere in Kenosha, but I don't know where!
+Take the Metra train from Antioch or Fox Lake, IL down to Chicago! It's fun and easy, and it takes you right downtown. Fox Lake has more trains coming and going. Both depots are at the end of the line, which is neat! You'll see lots of other towns on the way, too! Please do this, I miss living by the train so much and wish I wouldn't have taken it for granted when I lived there. I'm sure if nothing else, your kids would love it!
+In the fall: Go apple picking! There is a great orchard called "Oriole Springs" in Twin Lakes. They have REALLY good homemade donuts, too!

I hope that helped a little bit! Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions!

Also, try this website:
Wisconsin Online®, What's Happening in Wisconsin! WISCONLINE®

Old 07-15-2009, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 26,045 times
Wink Kenosha for me too!!

This thread has been very helpful too me too! My family and I have accepted a job in the area and are trying to find out about schools, neighborhoods and similar things.

What is the housing scene like there? I'm looking to rent for awhile possibly a small house for my wife and two girls. Any input is welcome.

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:57 PM

From what we encountered... renting in the Kenosha/Bristol area is fast paced. If you find something, you literally need to jump on it fast! As it will be gone tomorrow. I was told it was because of the high forclosure rate in the area and people in need of renting because of that. Looking online is frustrating because it does not tell the "whole" picture. There is so many more options once you get HERE and look around personally. Look on Craig's list, the newspaper, etc. ANd I was happily suprised at how close all the towns are in the kenosha county and in Illinois.If you don't mind me asking FBH31118... where are you coming from? So far, I am so impressed with the area we moved to. (Bristol) Nothing but wonderful and kind people and I adore exploring my new territory with my trusty GPS. LOL. I notice I gravitate towards Gurnee and Antioch and the outskirts of Kenosha when I shop. As far as my two boys, I have already enrolled my 3yr old in preschool for the fall. (Joyce's preschool in Paddock Lake)It is very reasonable compared to Nebraska rates. I will say when looking for part time day care, the daily rates where a bit of a sticker shock as they run around $33/day compared to my area which was about $16-20 a day. So I'm sticking with two mornings a week preschool right now. My 5th grader will go to Bristol, and I've heard nothing but wonderful comments from everyone in the area. It seems people here are happy with the place. Good luck to you too!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:00 PM

Oh and thank you erinuncool for all the info! Much appreciated.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:54 AM

5 posts, read 26,045 times
[quote=dalayney;9785548][If you don't mind me asking FBH31118... where are you coming from? quote]

Augusta Michigan, which is right between Battle Creek and Kalamazoo. Nice place to live, just no work for me here.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,559 times
I want to know how I can find rentals in Bristol,WI I need at least 3 bedrooms for me and my kiddos please help me find the info asap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin