Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:00 PM

152 posts, read 355,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
Hbomb,
Not yet - still not sure what I could do short of driving there and checking to see. People I've asked have said our stuff is probably gone. Our things were pretty much only of value to us but irreplaceable like our traditional Christmas things, kids school projects.
When i bought a storage unit business in wi, the owners that were in default and that i had no current info for, i tried my best to track them down and then per state law. I posted an ad in the newspaper stating what i knew about the unit and waited the 2 weeks (i think) (its been a few years since i owned this). It went to an auciton and all contents went to highest bidder.

I tried working out a payment plan with one guy, he mailed his payment 2 months after the auction. I cashed his check, paid off his balance and tried to send him the excess funds. The letter came back to me, that it was undeliverable.

If you know the address of the building, i can look it up usually through the counties website to find owner on file and can cross reference thru ccap and wdfi.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 04:51 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,514,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyFarmer View Post
I was wondering what the laws or the practices of WI storage units is regarding the units that are defaulted on? Does anyone have experience with this, does it range city to city, or is there a statewide regulation?
I do this in IL but sometimes venture up into WI if there's not many going on and things are slow in IL.

There's plenty in Wisconson, problem for me is b/c of gas prices and time constraints with traveling so far I gotta be really picky about the units I buy. I can't just take chances like when the facility is down teh street from my house, I gotta bid on units with one, two or a handful of big ticket items that I can easily turn around, cars, motorcycles, trailers, construction equip, comm restaurant stuff, etc.

There's a few people on ebay who sell lists of auctions in all the states minus alaska and hawaii. Nobody will tell you for free because your another person competing with tehm at the auction if they live near you.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyFarmer View Post
Thank you for the info. I have checked out the website you provided. Is there a source which shows a broader range of sales, this site seems as though there are only a few auctions per month. Please advise, thank you. I have also researched auctionzip.com which seems to represent more estate sales than anything. I am looking for a broader listing of specifically storage facility auctions. I am willing to travel WI, IL, MN, & IA
check this site: storageunitauctionlist.com

Old 03-22-2011, 10:56 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,514,033 times
Found a free site with auction listings as well. They have all 50 states some are better than others. THe site says you can put in requests and they will post more auctions for that city/state you request. I requested Illinois since that's where I am and they posted several new lists today. Freestorageauctionlists.com. Did you win any units yet?

Old 07-23-2011, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,376 times
Hbomb, any way to find out where family may have stuff stored. my son died last year and i found one locker, but he moved around a bit and i believe he had locker in NC, Knoxville, Kenosha, and possibly Chicago area. i have a key ring with lots of "Master" keys, but still trying to locate things and prevent them going into auction, but i'm not having much success.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,444 times
Default Storage unit auctions

Hello I searched several on-line websites about this subject and most of them wanted a monthly or yearly fee. I simply want to attend a storage unit auction like they do on Storage Wars, etc. Are there any websites that give free information on state/county/police/storage facilty sales? Thanks Jo

Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 PM

1,137 posts, read 967,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomcvan View Post
Hello I searched several on-line websites about this subject and most of them wanted a monthly or yearly fee. I simply want to attend a storage unit auction like they do on Storage Wars, etc. Are there any websites that give free information on state/county/police/storage facilty sales? Thanks Jo
What part of WI are you in?

Old 04-26-2015, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 796 times
We rented a storage unit in West Allis, WI after having lost our family home due to cancer surgeries. We were given only 1 hour to vacate our home and had to rent 2 large units for all of our things that we could recover from our lawn. We rented the units 2 days or so apart. I called the office to find out the amount owed only to find out our belongings were auctioned several days ago since we were almost 2 months behind in rent payment. We did not receive anything by mail (we gave an address where we could be reached). They said that they had tried to reach us by phone. All of our things were sold at auction for $800!! Everything was gone that was in our home. My folks had purchased our home in 1934 and I was born in the home. Doesn't the storage company have to serve a notice before it going to auction? I asked for the phone number of the buyer of our locker and they said they would contact him and then was told that he didn't want to sell our things back to us. Of course he wouldn't - he would make more money by selling them himself. If you can imagine everything in a house and home - that is what we lost. Does anyone know if we can do anything to either retrieve our belongings or sue for the things we lost???
Our home was in Wauwatosa, just a few blocks away from Froedtert Hospital.
Thanks so much for any help that can be given.
SDK

Old 04-27-2015, 10:27 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,707,217 times
Review your contract and contact a lawyer if you think something was done wrong.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:46 PM

6,021 posts, read 7,798,133 times
Why not just have the tenant move their stuff out instead of selling it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin