Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:29 PM

36 posts, read 198,635 times

Advertisements

I am curious to see if there were any huge changes in certain areas of the states population in the last decade. Im talking about population gains/losses in, new immigrant or ethnic groups in wisconsin.

In the milwaukee area, where i live, there has been a notable increases in the hispanic and asian population, but nothing too dramatic. The population is steady for the city and the suburbs are growing moderately. I am wondering about the rest of the state. Any areas experience huge dramatic growth or see a new influx of a new ethnic group that we will see when the next census results come out? I heard something about somalis in western wisconsin but that is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:09 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
Quote:
I heard something about somalis in western wisconsin but that is it.
Every yellow cab I get in is driven by somebody from Somalia and I was also told this by many other people that a lot of Somalians work for yellow cab company. So I would say Milwaukee has a small Somalian population and I have seen a lot more people from Africa here as well. I live next to two cab companies so maybe that explains why I meet a lot of people from Africa.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:34 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ 91 View Post
I am curious to see if there were any huge changes in certain areas of the states population in the last decade. Im talking about population gains/losses in, new immigrant or ethnic groups in wisconsin.

In the milwaukee area, where i live, there has been a notable increases in the hispanic and asian population, but nothing too dramatic. The population is steady for the city and the suburbs are growing moderately. I am wondering about the rest of the state. Any areas experience huge dramatic growth or see a new influx of a new ethnic group that we will see when the next census results come out? I heard something about somalis in western wisconsin but that is it.
Some are coming out of the Twin Cities- nothing dramatic.

Wisconsin will have one of the higher (perhaps highest) % gain in the Great Lakes Region, due to its economy and quality of life.

Based on the past 2 decades, and despite the current depression.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:14 PM

16 posts, read 74,843 times
I forget the exact numbers, but the Green Bay/Appleton/Oshkosh metro areas (eventually will be just 1 CSA) probably has grown by 50,000 since 2000. One of the fastest growing areas of the Midwest by percentage. Madison of course will always have bigger % growth due to the state govt & university. We have also seen a big jump in diversity.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:03 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
It will show a big growth spurt in Madison as well as the Appleton/Green Bay area. Slow growth will continue in suburban areas of Milwaukee with the city staying flat. Rural Wisconsin will continue to age at a much faster clip as younger people leave for urban centers and a few more retirees move in. The county with the highest percentage of residents over age 65 will likely be either Vilas or Iron.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:39 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,930 times
After reviewing the census estimates a few weeks back I came away with the following.

1) The populations of the city proper of the following cities will show that their population will remain stable or flat: Milwaukee, Green Bay, Appleton, Waukesha, Lacross, Oshkosh, Eau Claire.

2) Slight decline or more: Sheboygan, Manitowoc, Racine, Beliot and Superior.

3) Growth beyound stable: Madison, Kenosha.

Metro Areas

1) Flat/stable or small growth in metro area: Milwaukee, Maniotwoc, Sheboygan.

2) Decline: Beloit/Janesville, Superior

3) Average growth, but good for the midwest: Green Bay, Appleton, Lacross and Kenosha(With metro Chicago)

4) Above Average Growth, but slightly above average for the rest of the U.S.: Madison and Hudson(metro Twin Cities)

Other trends.

Large Hispanic growth in all cities. In Milwaukee it will push 20% of the cities total population. Cities such as Green Bay will also see large increases.

Large population growth from spill over from metro Chicago and Twin Cities in areas nearby.

Declining of growth of African Americans in Milwaukee and large growth in the percent in the suburbs and in Madison.

Slowdown of growth in Milwaukee's ring counties such as Washington and Waukesha. They will still grow at average to above average, but it will be nowhere near the rate it was in the past 4 or 5 decades.

Hispanic growth will challenge African Americans as the states largest minority group, but won't surpass them.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:14 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Every yellow cab I get in is driven by somebody from Somalia and I was also told this by many other people that a lot of Somalians work for yellow cab company. So I would say Milwaukee has a small Somalian population and I have seen a lot more people from Africa here as well. I live next to two cab companies so maybe that explains why I meet a lot of people from Africa.
Oh Marvelous. The Federal Gov't decided to turn the Twin Cities into a Somali resettlment center, and now the whole region is getting africanized.

Your tax dollars at work. Yay!

It's time to close the doors. The U.S. doesn't need to become Africa... there's already Africa for that.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:24 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,084 times
It's pretty clear how this will go.

Consider Barron, Wi... which last I found an article was at 12% Somali i n 2005...

OK, the Somalis go into some small town... easier to become a larger percentage of the overall population... the other ethnicities see this and engage in white flight... Do this to several small towns on and area... and TA-DAH.... slowly but surely the area will go Somali.

Africanization, plain and simple.

Happened in the Caribbean, though brough on itself by slavers. Eventually the africans outpopulated the slavers and took over. Now the Caribbean sucks.

The historical precedent is clear present.

Essentially, if you look at the maps it's clear. The africanization is occuring from Milwaukee and now West Wisconsin (Twin Cities actually). Essentially the state will be squeezed from two directions.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 census...Will there be any dramatic differences for wisconsin?-minnesota-wisconsin.jpg  

Last edited by JMadison; 07-22-2009 at 04:36 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 PM

570 posts, read 1,752,857 times
Hopefully it doesn't become Mexico like Arizona and California.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:24 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,132,455 times
I doubt Wisconsin will ever resemble California or AZ in demographics, however I do think it will lose it's lilly white image in this census and have more diversity, a Hispanic population as large as an African American population, fairly flat Asian population and as other posters said, increased percentage of Hispanics in all cities, especially Milwaukee and Green Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin