Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 11:12 PM

300 posts, read 348,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
I am wondering what the general stereotype for WI is. state your experience/reasoning and what location you are from.
I would have to say its one of those states where you have to love it or hate it. I do admit that there are plenty of stuff to do in Wisconsin during the summer time including Summerfest, Wisconsin Dells, and Wisconsin State Fair. However, considering the fact that I lived in West Allis for at least 15 years, I don't see any potential reason for anyone to move to Wisconsin if you don't like very long winters. There is hardly anything to do in the state during winter if you don't like snowboarding or snow activities. This year, we still had snow in the middle of April and throughout May was very cold. Milwaukee is very segregated city in the nation (don't even bother bringing it up cause I don't feel like getting in a feud over whether or not it is). West Allis is getting as many crimes as Milwaukee because recently I had been getting people that were littering on my property on purpose regardless of development including the freeways\highways and shopping selection on Hwy 100. Every year, I get more problems and I no longer feel safe living in West Allis or going through Milwaukee.

Do I want to stay in Wisconsin any longer? No. Does my experience reflect the state overall? Of course not and I know its my opinion, but coming from experience, I would not recommend living in Milwaukee if safety and K-12 education is your priority and don't recommend Wisconsin if you don't like long winters. It just depends on your critique of entertainment and if whether or not you don't mind the cold.

If there was one thing that has gotten better, it would be the freeway infrastructure. The Marquette Interchange (connection of Interstate 43, Interstate 94, Interstate 794, and U.S. Highway 41) is gorgeous. Especially when they are lit up at night. I can't wait to see the part of I-94 by Mitchell International Airport finished.

Last edited by 94buickcentury; 08-07-2011 at 11:26 PM..

Old 10-13-2011, 09:24 AM

45 posts, read 82,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
I am wondering what the general stereotype for WI is. state your experience/reasoning and what location you are from.
i hate when people think cause im from wisconsin means i like cheese i know at least three peolpe who hate cheese

Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 AM

45 posts, read 82,421 times
ive lived in wisconsin for my whole life and ive lived in a small town with one stop and go light 3 bars and millons of cows (more cows than people ) i hate when peope thimk that were hicks cause we live simply are blondes are natural when you go out too a bar its not too get drunk and hook up with people we know are heritage mostly beeing german and scandavnian we love are packers and brewers we are the nicest folk ever we have great brats we now that its cold but were not stuck up prisses like the people from california and newyork

Old 10-13-2011, 09:48 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94buickcentury View Post
I would have to say its one of those states where you have to love it or hate it. I do admit that there are plenty of stuff to do in Wisconsin during the summer time including Summerfest, Wisconsin Dells, and Wisconsin State Fair. However, considering the fact that I lived in West Allis for at least 15 years, I don't see any potential reason for anyone to move to Wisconsin if you don't like very long winters. There is hardly anything to do in the state during winter if you don't like snowboarding or snow activities. This year, we still had snow in the middle of April and throughout May was very cold. Milwaukee is very segregated city in the nation (don't even bother bringing it up cause I don't feel like getting in a feud over whether or not it is). West Allis is getting as many crimes as Milwaukee because recently I had been getting people that were littering on my property on purpose regardless of development including the freeways\highways and shopping selection on Hwy 100. Every year, I get more problems and I no longer feel safe living in West Allis or going through Milwaukee.

Do I want to stay in Wisconsin any longer? No. Does my experience reflect the state overall? Of course not and I know its my opinion, but coming from experience, I would not recommend living in Milwaukee if safety and K-12 education is your priority and don't recommend Wisconsin if you don't like long winters. It just depends on your critique of entertainment and if whether or not you don't mind the cold.

If there was one thing that has gotten better, it would be the freeway infrastructure. The Marquette Interchange (connection of Interstate 43, Interstate 94, Interstate 794, and U.S. Highway 41) is gorgeous. Especially when they are lit up at night. I can't wait to see the part of I-94 by Mitchell International Airport finished.

It could be worse. Try living in an area which gets cold in winter but doesn't get much snow. Now that is blah.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:34 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ees21 View Post
ive lived in wisconsin for my whole life and ive lived in a small town with one stop and go light 3 bars and millons of cows (more cows than people ) i hate when peope thimk that were hicks cause we live simply are blondes are natural when you go out too a bar its not too get drunk and hook up with people we know are heritage mostly beeing german and scandavnian we love are packers and brewers we are the nicest folk ever we have great brats we now that its cold but were not stuck up prisses like the people from california and newyork
You also hate punctuation don't you?

Old 10-14-2011, 07:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ees21 View Post
when I think of Wisconnie I think of people just like you

Old 10-15-2011, 06:55 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,193 times
I moved to Wisconsin from Europe and we just don't have any stereotype at all, besides: In the middle of nowhere and f-ing cold which is not even that much of a stereotype. Some people know that there is a lot of German and Scandinavian heritage up here, but that's about it. Having experienced all the stereotypes my American friends have, i think that is a good thing.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
when I think of Wisconnie I think of people just like you
I KNEW somebody was gonna say that!!!

Old 10-20-2011, 12:12 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I think it's funny how people in WI would be thought to be 'hicks' meanwhile people who live in WI generally stereotype the whole south to be 'hick' country, and even I thought South Dakota was full of 'hicks' until I moved here, but really people aren't that different no matter where you live.. the main difference in behavior will come from one sized town in one state, to a similar sized town in another, particularly if the town is isolated, and not part of a metro area. People in smaller towns do act different then in larger towns. Also people in highly upscale/wealthy areas will act different then those in 'typical' or 'average' areas.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:36 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I think it's funny how people in WI would be thought to be 'hicks' meanwhile people who live in WI generally stereotype the whole south to be 'hick' country, and even I thought South Dakota was full of 'hicks' until I moved here, but really people aren't that different no matter where you live.. the main difference in behavior will come from one sized town in one state, to a similar sized town in another, particularly if the town is isolated, and not part of a metro area. People in smaller towns do act different then in larger towns. Also people in highly upscale/wealthy areas will act different then those in 'typical' or 'average' areas.
I've lived in seven states in big cities, small towns, and rural areas and I agree with this. Things aren't as different from one place to another as people (been guilty of it myself) tend to think. Some cultural differences perhaps, but human nature favors no geographic location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin