Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 12:03 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
The other guy.
^

Old 05-27-2014, 03:22 PM

461 posts, read 922,458 times
Stevens Point, WI

Hicks and beer.

Which is exactly spot on.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:43 PM

175 posts, read 256,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2k View Post
I came across this post doing a search on Google and feel compelled to respond. I'm sorry I completely disagree with some of you but Wisconsin to my experience has a lot of bipolar behavior also very mean people and very clicky behavior(not all) but percentage of guilty it shows and rubs off badly. I've lived in Dallas San Diego Minneapolis Houston and Atlanta and never quite had these problems as bad as they're in Wisconsin. I also saw a lot of this in Eden Prairie & Edina MN. (think i spelt that right). Bad drivers exist everywhere but im witnessing more unhappy and more abusive & insensitivity here. Not the first ive lived here then left and came back either and both times same experience. I could give some examples but dont want to talk all night. Its sort of a no brainer to those who travel and if that's you and you disagree i'm sorry i think you're in the minority. This area is also limited on things to do in comparison. Its like taking a step back in time in the 1950's. Ditto on the point when it comes to education and current technology. I think living in wisconsin too long can also have an effect on your health & current knowledge. I see a lot of small town folks in wisconsin who graduated college years ago and think the same information then applies now. That isn't the case stuff is always changing and you need to keep up on that. Universities teach this but many graduates don't keep up like they're suppose to. Don't think because you hold a diploma that excuses you from common sense or further ongoing education. This is what international folks are referring to when they accuse americans of being ignorant. I know this because when i travel to europe or china the topic often comes up. We think its most abundant in burbs of large cities and upper midwest or great lake states but we're speculating. Some recent sociological studies performed by hopkins even suggested something similar. I'll check on the source of that and back but i think it was hopkins. Naturally studies are generalized but i think the idea was that graduates tested years later were not keeping up and citing personal responsibilities with no time to do so. Basically its all about raising families and being parents so much that they don't further educate and in some cases become stressed out and unhappy. They also shed many friendships citing lack of time. I think facebook is heavily used in this region by parents because of convenience. Anywho back to my job..
I agree with you. Some of the people use their kids to harass their neighbors. Wouldn't you rather get along than not! I don't get this at all. I find it boorish. I do not like conflicts. Boy if you offend anybody it is never forgotten, that is very immature and silly. And the people who are tailgaters with their vechicles, are beyond rude. Those are my complaints. They do not apply to everybody but the ones like this makes life miserable. Who needs that, life is way too short.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:53 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,201 times
I am originally from WI and I have to agree with the majority of posters here who say that WI people are often "hicks" There is a prevalent attitude that outsiders are not decent people, and a distrust of anything new. The exception to that rule would be in the Madison area, Milwaukee, and a few other small pockets, like Appleton and Eau Claire. I have lived in several areas of the state, and regularly traveled and met with people in other areas for my job. The most backward areas are Green Bay and north of there, Wausau and north of there, and west of Spring Green towards and south of LaCrosse.

Wisconsin is very beautiful and there are people who are often friendly to tourists-but if you are an outsider moving to one of the less progressive areas, you will be treated poorly. I personally think WI has an inferiority complex which is made worse by distrustful, provincial attitudes. There is a MAJOR distrust of educated people, which is interesting considering WI has a pretty great K-12 education system and some really good universities, esp Madison, Milwaukee, Stout, and Eau-Claire.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
I am originally from WI and I have to agree with the majority of posters here who say that WI people are often "hicks" There is a prevalent attitude that outsiders are not decent people, and a distrust of anything new. The exception to that rule would be in the Madison area, Milwaukee, and a few other small pockets, like Appleton and Eau Claire. I have lived in several areas of the state, and regularly traveled and met with people in other areas for my job. The most backward areas are Green Bay and north of there, Wausau and north of there, and west of Spring Green towards and south of LaCrosse.

Wisconsin is very beautiful and there are people who are often friendly to tourists-but if you are an outsider moving to one of the less progressive areas, you will be treated poorly. I personally think WI has an inferiority complex which is made worse by distrustful, provincial attitudes. There is a MAJOR distrust of educated people, which is interesting considering WI has a pretty great K-12 education system and some really good universities, esp Madison, Milwaukee, Stout, and Eau-Claire.
I agree Wi has an inferiority complex, but I don't agree with the educated people part. In fact, I find people there looking down at people who are not educated which is wrong and snide. People in Wisconsin are not tolerant of people who are "gasp" not like them! I find this so unworldly.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv7370 View Post
I agree Wi has an inferiority complex, but I don't agree with the educated people part. In fact, I find people there looking down at people who are not educated which is wrong and snide. People in Wisconsin are not tolerant of people who are "gasp" not like them! I find this so unworldly.

Have to add, NOT ALL Wisconsinites are like this. There are people I like a lot here.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:26 AM

432 posts, read 544,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
I am originally from WI and I have to agree with the majority of posters here who say that WI people are often "hicks" There is a prevalent attitude that outsiders are not decent people, and a distrust of anything new. The exception to that rule would be in the Madison area, Milwaukee
and that is because most of the people from madison and some of the people from milwaukee are progressive liberals, so they think that anyone not exactly politically like them are 'hicks' and 'need education' and are 'racist' and 'hate women' and blah blah blah.
but that's typical of progressive leftists, so take their narrow and insulated worldview with a grain of salt or less.

wi is stereotypically 'wisconsin nice'. i would use the term 'naive' but not in a bad way, rather in a very good way. they've not been jaded into being an agry, distrustful, defensive urban type of person.

i was talking to one of my old friends the other day and on the phone he was telling me some kid gave him the 'what's up?!?!' motion as he was trying to get into a spot to jump someone's truck. kid wanted to fight and a few of the people in his truck wanted to get out and fight. in wi, my wife and i laugh at stop signs because people here are so polite, even though you were there last, they'll still want you to go before them. that's 'wisconsin nice'. the wisconsin nice also applies with people not cutting in front of you in lines, etc.

if you are in other states, you can find a packer bar and the cheeseheads will be the same there.

i've lived in a lot of states and a handful of countries and i'll take non se/madison wisconsin living any day of the week.
come to think of it, that's why we moved to wi and why we moved to this location, small town north central wisconsin....

Old 05-28-2014, 07:32 AM

432 posts, read 544,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kv7370 View Post
I agree Wi has an inferiority complex
i disagree with this, with an exception. most people in wi are comfortable in their own skin, their own lives. they don't want to be like, say someone in chicago, twin cities, miami, etc.

it seems like the people that think wi has an inferiority complex are the young kids that want to get old enough so they can go to a big city and see the bright shiny things or the other people, usually madison/milwaukee people that want to think they are so-fisto-cated and worldly and all that and a bagel with lox, but deep down they know they're just living in two towns, small city and the other, a town of 200K people, which would qualify them as a suburb in some cities.

and these people are also the ones that look upon others not living their same lifestyle as 'uneducated'....'cause they think they're all that. but deep down, they know they aren't, it's a front, a facade, thus the inferiority complex.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:10 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milt14 View Post
and that is because most of the people from madison and some of the people from milwaukee are progressive liberals, so they think that anyone not exactly politically like them are 'hicks' and 'need education' and are 'racist' and 'hate women' and blah blah blah.
but that's typical of progressive leftists, so take their narrow and insulated worldview with a grain of salt or less.

wi is stereotypically 'wisconsin nice'. i would use the term 'naive' but not in a bad way, rather in a very good way. they've not been jaded into being an agry, distrustful, defensive urban type of person.

i was talking to one of my old friends the other day and on the phone he was telling me some kid gave him the 'what's up?!?!' motion as he was trying to get into a spot to jump someone's truck. kid wanted to fight and a few of the people in his truck wanted to get out and fight. in wi, my wife and i laugh at stop signs because people here are so polite, even though you were there last, they'll still want you to go before them. that's 'wisconsin nice'. the wisconsin nice also applies with people not cutting in front of you in lines, etc.

if you are in other states, you can find a packer bar and the cheeseheads will be the same there.

i've lived in a lot of states and a handful of countries and i'll take non se/madison wisconsin living any day of the week.
come to think of it, that's why we moved to wi and why we moved to this location, small town north central wisconsin....
Lol, what a typical post for you. Guess what? Education is a good thing! People who are racist will be looked on as racist, it's very simple. People who are narrow minded will be looked on as narrow minded. If someone is racist, judgmental, etc. they're going to get called out on it, plain & simple. Only have themselves to blame. There's no tolerance for racism, homophobia, etc.

Also, midwesterners are extremely resistant to change. It's pretty sad. They look suspiciously on anything that would be considered forward moving. No wonder other areas of the country look at us with pity, I completely agree with them.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:25 AM

461 posts, read 922,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milt14 View Post
i disagree with this, with an exception. most people in wi are comfortable in their own skin, their own lives. they don't want to be like, say someone in chicago, twin cities, miami, etc.

it seems like the people that think wi has an inferiority complex are the young kids that want to get old enough so they can go to a big city and see the bright shiny things or the other people, usually madison/milwaukee people that want to think they are so-fisto-cated and worldly and all that and a bagel with lox, but deep down they know they're just living in two towns, small city and the other, a town of 200K people, which would qualify them as a suburb in some cities.

and these people are also the ones that look upon others not living their same lifestyle as 'uneducated'....'cause they think they're all that. but deep down, they know they aren't, it's a front, a facade, thus the inferiority complex.
This post proves the inferiority complex he was talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin