Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,022 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what the general stereotype for WI is. state your experience/reasoning and what location you are from.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:28 AM

620 posts, read 1,835,215 times
This should be interesting!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:03 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,473,898 times
Very White Bread.

(But with a lot of Beer.)

I have very fond memories of Madison. Madison isn't like rest of Wisconsin, not at all. Lived there 1968 to about 1974, and then again 1977 to 1981 or 82. Very much enjoyed the entire state, but mostly had a great time at Milwaukee's Summer Fest.

However let's face it, by percentage of Population, Wisconsin isn't very racially diverse. Never meet a Madison-ite who was anti-anyone based on the color of their skin or background. Except of course any one who professed dislike or hatred of: GB Packers, Beer, Beef Steak, Fresh hot buttered corn-on-the-cob, or baseball. Elitist snobs who dislike beer and beef while talking about football or baseball need not apply. Dislike of Ice Cream could get you run out of town on a rail.

Phil

Old 07-20-2009, 11:31 AM

570 posts, read 1,750,295 times
Speaking for the small town country Wisconsin people:
Simple, friendly, behind the times, non-snooty, non-materialistic, like the outdoors and all seasons, like bars, minimal education. Most of all, they're happy with who they are, where they are, and how they live.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:24 PM

212 posts, read 424,177 times
I don't know the general impression, but what I found on a trip to Kohler/Sheboygan Falls/Sheboygan:
That my husband was impressed with - lots and lots of natural blonds/blondes. Quiet folk, minding their own business. Cleanliness. Might have been the Germanic thing. We didn't go to Milwaukee or Madison -we don't drink beer and don't like professional sports any longer.

Our joint impression was that Sheboygan Falls was really, really cute. Couldn't believe that there were salmon (?) in the river, while we picked black raspberries from riverside bush. Kind of a throwback to slower and kinder times. Took me back to childhood feelings.

Now, what I was impressed with was the quality of the companies in the area. I love to cook, and didn't realize that the local companies were Sargento, Johnsonville, Land o' Lakes cooperatives. There was this feeling of pride as I drove around, knowing that all of these Wisconsin companies were HIGH QUALITY PRODUCERS. Exactly what this country needs and should emulate. I am no fan of agri-business (preferring small, local produce production, etc.), but I understand that what Wisconsin grows is world class and worthy of our support. Well done, Wisconsin!

I was a military brat, so lived all over the US and overseas in Asia and Europe. Have spent precious little time in the upper midwest, though. From what I've seen thus far (and we're going back in a week or so to Door County, Minocqua, Mellen, and wherever), I'm a fan on an intellectual level.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:42 PM

8,281 posts, read 23,044,357 times
Not a big fan of rest of state, I'm not big into the outdoors so I really have no reason to go outside the 7 county metro area of Milwaukee.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Our joint impression was that Sheboygan Falls was really, really cute. Couldn't believe that there were salmon (?) in the river, while we picked black raspberries from riverside bush. Kind of a throwback to slower and kinder times. Took me back to childhood feelings.
That's what Wisconsin's all about!

Old 07-21-2009, 12:39 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,738,615 times
Having grown up in proximity to Wisconsin, and spent many a year traveling the State for business, I found more examples of the fact that the people give you back what you put out. If you a decent upstanding kind of person, and put out a good vibe, you'll get that and more back. For a decade Wisconsin remained my largest sales producing state that I covered for my work. I truly loved traveling around the state visiting and meeting with clients that ran the gamut from Racine/Kenosha, Milwaukee, Madison, Oshkosh, Appleton, Greebay, Wausau, Stevens Point, Door County just to name a few areas. All were a pure pleasure to work with. I especially enjoyed driving the Hwy 43 corridor up North. I used to fly my wife in to join me for a week starting in Kenosha ending up spending a weekend in Door County. Went across the State on 29 and she took a flight home from Minneapolis. All my travels in the State were both profitable and pure enjoyment. I didn't run into any people I wouldn't consider as a friend. This to me is a huge rarity indeed. So my feelings towards the State of Wisconsin are all good. I can literally just sit calm for a given moment, and in my mind smell that fine summer air coming off a field north of Kiel, the fresh fields of hay and greenery. If you could bottle it I could become a millionaire selling it. Yeah.....it's THAT good. :-)

Old 07-21-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I can literally just sit calm for a given moment, and in my mind smell that fine summer air coming off a field north of Kiel, the fresh fields of hay and greenery. If you could bottle it I could become a millionaire selling it. Yeah.....it's THAT good. :-)
I do enjoy the smell of fresh hay.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:47 PM

647 posts, read 1,659,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I can literally just sit calm for a given moment, and in my mind smell that fine summer air coming off a field north of Kiel, the fresh fields of hay and greenery. If you could bottle it I could become a millionaire selling it. Yeah.....it's THAT good. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
I do enjoy the smell of fresh hay.

As long as the field next to it doesn't have some fresh "mud" spread on it. HAHAHAHAHA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin