Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 05:53 AM

98 posts, read 341,590 times

Advertisements

How is the job situation in Wisconsin in general???
johnnybandfreak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 08:06 AM

246 posts, read 328,931 times
The Wisconsin economy neither runs hot nor cold. There's job growth in some areas (like healthcare, biotech, etc.) and losses in others (like manufacturing). Others like dairy and paper are just kinda...there.

No matter what your chosen destination I would strongly advise you start networking with local businesses before you move. Searching for a job when you're under the gun meeting expenses can quickly turn you sour toward your new home. Having done exactly what you're about to do -- returning to the States from Europe -- please take me at my word on this!

For Neenah, I'd cast a wide net for job searches to include Appleton, Oshkosh and Green Bay. Research the major employers and start circulating your resumes.

Hope this helps and good luck in choosing a new home.

Magpies

Old 07-18-2006, 09:12 AM

Default Sharing

[quote=MagpiesMagpiesMagpies]The Wisconsin economy neither runs hot nor cold. There's job growth in some areas (like healthcare, biotech, etc.) and losses in others (like manufacturing). Others like dairy and paper are just kinda...there.>

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT.
Do not quite understand what you mean by the economy neither runs hot nor cold.

>No matter what your chosen destination I would strongly advise you start networking with local businesses before you move. Searching for a job when you're under the gun meeting expenses can quickly turn you sour toward your new home.>

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA.
Except the best that I can do from so far away is send my resume and a letter. Job hunting is better when you are there. That is why I am trying to get an idea of the economy. There seems to be jobs, but is there a chance to get one.

<Having done exactly what you're about to do -- returning to the States from Europe -- please take me at my word on this!>

WOULD YOU MIND SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
When did you return to the states?
And from where?

'For Neenah, I'd cast a wide net for job searches to include Appleton, Oshkosh and Green Bay. Research the major employers and start circulating your resumes."

THAT IS ALSO A GOOD IDEA.
But most of the job ads I saw, the employers went thru a temp agencies.

<Hope this helps and good luck in choosing a new home.>

WELL, A FULL PICTURE OF WISCONSIN WOULD HELP ME MUCH MORE.
I feel like I am not getting the full picture and coming to check out Wisconsin will not tell me anything. People's behavior are not the same towards tourists and towards outsiders trying to make a home in WI.

But thank you for your help

johnnybandfreak

Old 07-18-2006, 10:26 AM

167 posts, read 944,588 times
Well, let me tell you what the job market is like in western Wisconsin right now--it's very, very tight. There are very few jobs to be had and lots of people who want them. I just graduated with my B.S. in creative writing and have had NO luck in my job hunt here. I actually applied for a job washing dogs, because it was near my house and I like dogs... it paid $6 an hour. I'm not kidding.
And I didn't even get the job. Five years of college and $26k in student loans, but I can't get a job washing dogs for $6 an hour. Jeez...

Old 07-18-2006, 10:35 AM

[quote=johnnnybandfreak]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies
The Wisconsin economy neither runs hot nor cold. There's job growth in some areas (like healthcare, biotech, etc.) and losses in others (like manufacturing). Others like dairy and paper are just kinda...there.>

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT.
Do not quite understand what you mean by the economy neither runs hot nor cold.

>No matter what your chosen destination I would strongly advise you start networking with local businesses before you move. Searching for a job when you're under the gun meeting expenses can quickly turn you sour toward your new home.>

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA.
Except the best that I can do from so far away is send my resume and a letter. Job hunting is better when you are there. That is why I am trying to get an idea of the economy. There seems to be jobs, but is there a chance to get one.

<Having done exactly what you're about to do -- returning to the States from Europe -- please take me at my word on this!>

WOULD YOU MIND SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
When did you return to the states?
And from where?

'For Neenah, I'd cast a wide net for job searches to include Appleton, Oshkosh and Green Bay. Research the major employers and start circulating your resumes."

THAT IS ALSO A GOOD IDEA.
But most of the job ads I saw, the employers went thru a temp agencies.

<Hope this helps and good luck in choosing a new home.>

WELL, A FULL PICTURE OF WISCONSIN WOULD HELP ME MUCH MORE.
I feel like I am not getting the full picture and coming to check out Wisconsin will not tell me anything. People's behavior are not the same towards tourists and towards outsiders trying to make a home in WI.

But thank you for your help

johnnybandfreak
Not sure what you're after. It's not my place nor my desire to make promises that you'll find a job. That is really up to you. What I would recommend, however, is that you focus on finding employment that you or your spouse are qualified to do even if it's not your 'dream job'. As the saying goes, it's easier to find a job when you have a job. So take the temp agency job, or have your husband take a printing job, even if the work or the salary aren't perfect. At least it will give you a cushion of income until you get settled, figue out the job market, and start targeting your ideal employers.

That's pretty much what I did. I moved from the UK and took a job in Illinois,. I hated the job and hated the location, but within 10 mos. I found a place in Wisconsin I love and a job that's more along what I wanted to do.

The job market is just that in Wisconsin, hot & cold. Depends on the industry and location. It's just my opinion but the Appleton area seems to be OK. Not great, not bad. If you want detailed statistics about employment in each part of the state, maybe you should go to the US Dept of Labor website.

If spectacular job growth is what you're after, you should be looking at a big city with the high cost of living that comes with it. On the other hand, if living in a more off the beaten path location is your goal, like it seems to be, you have to expect the job market to be less robust. That's the tradeoff. I don't know what more you expect me to say.

Patience is key.

Magpies

Old 07-19-2006, 05:27 AM

Default Jobs and Loans

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
Well, let me tell you what the job market is like in western Wisconsin right now--it's very, very tight. There are very few jobs to be had and lots of people who want them. I just graduated with my B.S. in creative writing and have had NO luck in my job hunt here. I actually applied for a job washing dogs, because it was near my house and I like dogs... it paid $6 an hour. I'm not kidding.
And I didn't even get the job. Five years of college and $26k in student loans, but I can't get a job washing dogs for $6 an hour. Jeez...
I know exactly how you feel.
I graduated in 94 with my degree and 23k in student loans.
And no jobs to be had.
And I would think that a B.S. in creative writing would get you something good.
I am starting to understand that Wisconsin is going through a rough time economically.
johnnybandfreak

Old 07-19-2006, 05:58 AM

Default Incredible job growth

[quote=MagpiesMagpiesMagpies]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnnybandfreak

Not sure what you're after. It's not my place nor my desire to make promises that you'll find a job. That is really up to you. What I would recommend, however, is that you focus on finding employment that you or your spouse are qualified to do even if it's not your 'dream job'. As the saying goes, it's easier to find a job when you have a job. So take the temp agency job, or have your husband take a printing job, even if the work or the salary aren't perfect. At least it will give you a cushion of income until you get settled, figue out the job market, and start targeting your ideal employers.

That's pretty much what I did. I moved from the UK and took a job in Illinois,. I hated the job and hated the location, but within 10 mos. I found a place in Wisconsin I love and a job that's more along what I wanted to do.

The job market is just that in Wisconsin, hot & cold. Depends on the industry and location. It's just my opinion but the Appleton area seems to be OK. Not great, not bad. If you want detailed statistics about employment in each part of the state, maybe you should go to the US Dept of Labor website.

If spectacular job growth is what you're after, you should be looking at a big city with the high cost of living that comes with it. On the other hand, if living in a more off the beaten path location is your goal, like it seems to be, you have to expect the job market to be less robust. That's the tradeoff. I don't know what more you expect me to say.

Patience is key.

Magpies
No Magpies, I do not need any promises of job.
But it would be nice.
I have yet to see any town with incredible job growth.
the state of Virginia (the last place i lived in the U.S) went through a horrible time in 2002.
Unemployment was extended to everybody who received it by 8 weeks without questions. The agency that overseed the unemployment payments was not even checking if people were applying for jobs. Business were closing. And getting a job was a question of luck. I was lucky in that at the time I accepted a job that was 3 days going into and 6 days a week during tax season.
The thing is that I have the luck of the devil.
Any state I end up living in at the time is going through ****.
I leave and then all goes well.
The truth is I want an off beat place to live at and a job that I did not had to fight to death for.
Where in Illinois did you live?
And what part of UK are you from?
And What do you for a living?
The Charente Maritime (where I live right now) is full of English people.
It feels like an english colony now.
The east indies in France. lol......
johnnybandfreak

Old 07-19-2006, 10:39 AM

[quote=johnnnybandfreak]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies

No Magpies, I do not need any promises of job.
But it would be nice.
I have yet to see any town with incredible job growth.
the state of Virginia (the last place i lived in the U.S) went through a horrible time in 2002.
Unemployment was extended to everybody who received it by 8 weeks without questions. The agency that overseed the unemployment payments was not even checking if people were applying for jobs. Business were closing. And getting a job was a question of luck. I was lucky in that at the time I accepted a job that was 3 days going into and 6 days a week during tax season.
The thing is that I have the luck of the devil.
Any state I end up living in at the time is going through ****.
I leave and then all goes well.
The truth is I want an off beat place to live at and a job that I did not had to fight to death for.
Where in Illinois did you live?
And what part of UK are you from?
And What do you for a living?
The Charente Maritime (where I live right now) is full of English people.
It feels like an english colony now.
The east indies in France. lol......
johnnybandfreak
Not going to post my bio, but I'm an American that just lived in the UK for a number of years. As I recall the difference in property prices between France and Britain was laughable, which is why you've had so many Rosbifs taking up residence in lovely rural France. I wouldn't be against joining them to be honest..

I see you were looking at some towns in Illinois as well. I lived in Lake in the Hills, a place best to avoid. But that's no reflection on the entire state. There are some nice towns there too.

Again, the job situation in Wisconsin is really not bad. It's just not popping like Silicon Valley. Actually it's one of the best states in the Midwest for jobs.

Magpies

Old 07-20-2006, 05:40 AM

Default Illinois

lookind also at the state next to Wisconsin.
looking at Bloomington/ Normal.
The racial diversity is pretty good.
johnnybandfreak

Old 08-03-2006, 09:16 AM

17 posts, read 105,499 times
Well for what you two paid for college for a b.s. is pretty good, I was expecting to pay 50,000 for my sons four year college for bussiness major. Not cutting you down, I do not envy having to pay that either, but that is coming up in two years anyway, have to have a bachelors no matter what you do in life to even begin to get a job. But to the job market, I got my husband his job in Wisconsin by surfing the net and throwing out his resumes like candy at a parade. Surf the net everyday!!. Go to human resource, employment agency sites and even recruiter sites. You may have to move to another state too, where the jobs are. There sure isn't any jobs in St. Louis.
Good luck too. Oh yah California has lots of jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin